Author Topic: WHAT WOULD THEY THOUGHT  (Read 13671 times)

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
WHAT WOULD THEY THOUGHT
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:07:34 AM »
I wonder what IF would thought if they could see all the people here writing about them.

They would be sure surprised to realize how people love them, i belive. To see how many books have been writing about them. How many films,...... To see their picks published.....

Or perhaps they would not like that we know all the details of their life, even the minimums details (what perfume they used, what they feelt, how they walked...) of their intimity.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: WHAT WOULD THEY THOUGHT
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »
Would they be surprised people love them? Maybe they would be more surprised if people hated them. Alix believed the Russians to love her...(although I believe Nicky knew the letters were fake?)

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:07:18 AM »
I think they would be pleased that people remembered them, if not in the way they are sometimes remembered. Some of the more personal things they would not have been pleased to find in biographies, etc. One wonders if they would have enjoyed some of the topics on the discussion board too. But they would have been pleased that we still care deeply about them. I think they would be pleased to know that we see in some of their actions, and values, see the best example we could possibly emulate. They made mistakes, but they were a good family, especially the innocent Grand Duchesess and Tsarvitch.

I think they would be pleased to know that most of our debates on what they thought, felt, did or were like are fairly accurate. The might not agree with some of what we think, but I believe they would understand. They were famous in their lifetimes, and must have known that people would be interested in some details of their private life after their death. I don't know if that would have included all of what we know ;) They were royalty. They were surpised at their death, and if they knew they would be loved and cared about by people 85 years after their death, ones often countries away, they would be happy.

When we post to topics we should always remember what the romanovs would think of what we post. We should not post things that are not true, negative or postitive, or have topics that are plainly inappropriate. I posted to one thread what would the person concerned think of this? I did that to remind people I believed things were getting ouit of hand.
After all of this, I must say I feel this is a very good question. I believe, too, that the Romanovs know something of what we think of them now. We should always keep in mind they might know what we are thinking of them this very minute. ;)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:50:26 AM »
I think the children in particular would be flattered. They always wanted more friends, after all.

I agree Alix would probably view our attention as as another manifestation of the love & devotion of "common people."  ;)

True, they might be a bit chagrined by the...erm...depth of some of our knowledge, but overall, I think they'd be pleased -- especially in retrospect after being deposed & exiled.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Mechminx

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 08:49:45 AM »
what about the Little Pair's feelings vs the Big Pair's? Any difference?

penguin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:35:49 PM »
i think the little pair would have been more accepting of the fame and possibly gotten into a little more trouble, nothing really bad but if the media was how it is today they might not have been able to avoid it. from what i know they seemed to be more outgoing than the big pair. the big pair would probably be more 'diplomatic', meaning they would have stayed out of the spotlight as much as possible but make a gracious presence in public.

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:23:43 AM »
I believe that the little pair, Anastasia, anyway would be quite pleased that she is so widely remembered today despite being the Tsar's youngest daughter. I think she would have found Anna Anderson rather funny, and been amused. She was a imp. She would have been pleased that people identify with her. As for Marie, I think she would have appreciated being remembered too, and that people see has a model of good behaviour, someone who seemed average but was not so. I think she would have been modest about us calling her a great beauty though.. but she was ;)

I think Tatiana would think that maybe we should be spending our time on something more practical than endlessly discussing her family.. she was that way ;)But I think she would have appreciated rememberance if it was of benefit to anyone, and helped people live better lives. Which it does, of course, I think she could see that.Olga would have been pleased that we remember the family still and feel a emotional connection to them, and are fascinated with them. I think she would agree about us viewing the Romanovs as a serious topic, but one you can have fun with too.
I think they all may have been rather surpised that we still feel so intensely about them, but have understanding of it. Tatiana, for one, knew she was a Emperor's daughter and worthy of being remembered.

Tania

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 05:25:34 PM »
Hello Isabel,

What a lovely thought and question. I think that romanov_fan said it quite nicely, and I agree with what he wrote.

Tatiana

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
I'm sure that somewhere, NAOTMAA knows we're crazy about them.  ;D Aleksandra is probably releaved that we now know she wasn't being unfriendly, she was just constantly worrying over Aleksey. I'm sure she's also glad that we know all the rumors going around about her and Rasputin were lies, too.

leushino

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:45:30 AM »
I think there is a disconnect between what we want to believe about the Romanovs and what is in all likelihood the cold hard truth about them. Reading books like the FOTR (and certainly this is not the only book that carefully researches the available material) we are confronted with facts that don't necessarily cast them in very good light. While we may care about them, it's highly unlikely that they would return the favor. Alexandra was both haughty and distant (even from her own children) and unfortunately that can't be all blamed upon her concern for her son. While I'd like to believe the myths that have surrounded them, it seems to me that we're better seeing them as very real people who had shortcomings like all of us and because of their exalted status in life, would in all probability not even consider our attentions as worthy of them. They simply expected that we would show deference to them... it was a given, so to speak. They were sadly out of touch with reality. :-[

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:19:50 AM »
I think we do give them deference, don't we? I certainly do, for one.
I doubt Tsarina Alexandra would have appreciated some of the subjects on the discussion board ;)or some biograophies of her.. but I think the rest of the family would have understood about our admiration, emulation, and yes deference for them, just like today's royalty. I admire the British royal family, for one. I do think it is true that we are of a very different scale in life, but the romanovs would have appreciated their popularity among the common people ;)As we are. I think Otma would have understood. I think our attitude towards royalty is very modern, yes, modern royalty could understand it, but I feel that some of the Romanovs could too.

Romanov_Fan19

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 04:24:34 PM »
Id  like to think their  happy  we are interested

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:04:12 AM »
Yes, I am sure they would be happy that we are interested and devoted to them. That much you can say, among all the uncertainties of ''what would they think''? But we should never make the Romanovs something they were not, just so they fit our interpretation better.

GrandDuchess_Bella

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 08:12:57 PM »
I don't think they would appreciate the fact that we know all these personal things about them (Yet who would?) But they would probably be touched to find out how much we love them. Especially little Maria lol ;D I think Anastasia would have wanted us to remember her yet who wouldn't want to remember her since she was so bold? I'm not sure about Tatiana but she was a loving person so I'm sure she would have appreciated it. Olga probably would have been honored. Nicholas probably would have been shocked that people love him so much after what he went through. Alix as well. Alexei would probably have been over-joyed even though he was loved dearly by everyone. The only thing about this thread is that we make it sound like it is impossible for them to know how they are cared for. I know this sounds silly but I think they do know :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by GrandDuchess_Bella »

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 10:41:36 AM »
I think they know too. I firmly believe that they do, that they can know a little bit, somehow. I don't know what they think though. We can only interpret things by what we know, and I the lost posting to this topic was excellant.I believe that they do know, that so many years after their death, they mean something to us still.