Author Topic: Kind of late, but still very important  (Read 2627 times)

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Kind of late, but still very important
« on: October 28, 2005, 08:56:49 PM »
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and now is a great time to go get checked out! Breast cancer is one of the leading killers for women, but with an early diagnosis, it can be beaten. If a close relative (mom, sister, aunt, grandmother...especially on your mother's side) has had it, your chances of getting it are greater. Men should be aware what to look for too, as it's getting more and more common in men.

Some websites with tons of info:

www.cancer.org (American Cancer Society)

www.cancer.gov (National Cancer Institute)

www.breastcancer.org

www.komen.org

www.thebreastcancersite.com

Check your area for organizations which may help with obtaining these services if money or lack of insurance is an issue. For example, here in North Dakota, we have an organization called Women's Way which women can get free testing... including pap tests and mammograms, as well as assistance for other things. Women's Way is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other states have similar programs.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
Re: Kind of late, but still very important
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:34:55 PM »
This is a good thread...my grandma died of breast cancer when my mom was a year and a half.

At our school we had a dress down day to raise money for breast cancer.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
I feel like a walking cliche sometimes but I have my pink bracelet on and so does my eldest.

My mother and sister have had scares in the past and I had a suspicious lump a few months ago. It checked out fine but never wait--if it had been something I probably would've caught it early.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:40:10 PM »
Where do you GET one of said bracelets?

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 11:05:08 PM »
Those bracelets can be found at many places in the US, but if you live outside the US, the last link I gave has many items one can buy and anything you may buy there, part of the money will go to help fund mammograms for low-income women.

I too have some family history of this disease... my grandma had it twice, and didn't make it through the second round, and my mother had it and thankfully beat it. So my sister and I are both higher risk as a result of 2 generations before having it. I just had my appointment and due to a suspicious spot, will have a mammogram next week. Since I'm only 24, the doctor thinks it's just a fibrous cell (very common in young women), but will check anyway due to my history.

PssMarieAmelie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 06:31:55 AM »
This is such a important thread. Over here we have the Breast Cancer Foundation--which raises money for women with breast cancer to get treatment more quickly. Only yesterday(I think!!) was the Pink Ribbon day where pink ribbons were sold to raise money.Also, pink armbands were sold, and there is a magazine about beating breast cancer too. I have a bit of family history--my great-grandmother had and manged to survive, same with her daughter, my grandmother......thankyou Nerdycool for starting this thread. Breast cancer is a disease of which everyone must be aware....

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 07:30:18 PM »
Thank you for having posted this, Nerdycool. We must never forget this awful disease and we must fight againts it with all our might.

RealAnastasia.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 08:49:45 PM »
I bought my at my hair salon but I've seen them all over. You can buy T-shirts (which I also have) at Wal-Mart. Most stores here in the US have had all kinds of pink products that when you buy them, a percentage (sometimes even 100%) goes towards breast cancer research.

I like the bracelets--I feel a little goofy because it's so trendy now but the causes are worth it.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 09:02:20 PM »
I like the bracelets but not the armbands. Our school was strict about how you wore it and my friend said she felt like a Nazi...after that it wasn't the same. Everything else is awesome though. Good cause all around.