Author Topic: Nicholas and Alexandra (1971)  (Read 270485 times)

Amanda_Misha

Re: Nicholas & Alexandra VHS & DVD
« Reply #360 on: May 24, 2007, 07:39:52 PM »
The scene of the execution when Alexei kisses Nicholas in the cheek :'( :'(
The sountrack of the movie is very sad but nice

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #361 on: May 25, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
I do like some of this movie but the actors are just horrible, especailly Nicholas when he is trying to cry and Alexei when he is trying to scream. You don't feel his pain, you just hear an annoying kid you'd like to slap.

"Alexei Alexei mustn't run mustn't play. " How many times did he chant that in this movie?

And I just LOVE the scene when Nicholas tells Alix, "It's YOUR fault the boy bleeds." lol

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
Haha, what really cracked me up was the guy who played Yourovsky (?)

What cracked me up was the kid playing Alexei. His screams were SO fake. "Ahhhhhhh!" And his stupid little chant, "Alexei Alexei. Mustn't run mustn't play..."

mr_harrison75

« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2007, 11:24:27 PM »
The Romanovs: an imperial family's Alexei is much better!! And not unidimensional and suicide-proned like the one in Nicholas and Alexandra...

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2007, 11:49:22 PM »
The Romanovs: an imperial family's Alexei is much better!! And not unidimensional and suicide-proned like the one in Nicholas and Alexandra...
where can i get this movie?

mr_harrison75

« Reply #365 on: May 26, 2007, 12:16:19 AM »
Hi!

First of all, The Romanovs: an imperial family is not available in stores these days. Two, it's in Russian, but if you know the Romanovs story well enough, you can easily follow it. It was made in Russia in 2000, and the acting in it is superb; the casting is well done, and the actors do have a good likeness with the real Imperial family. It covers the February 1917 to July 1918 time period.

It is a very well made, and touching movie, especially compared with Nicholas and Alexandra!

Send me a message if you want more details!

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #366 on: May 26, 2007, 12:41:13 AM »
Hi!

First of all, The Romanovs: an imperial family is not available in stores these days. Two, it's in Russian, but if you know the Romanovs story well enough, you can easily follow it. It was made in Russia in 2000, and the acting in it is superb; the casting is well done, and the actors do have a good likeness with the real Imperial family. It covers the February 1917 to July 1918 time period.

It is a very well made, and touching movie, especially compared with Nicholas and Alexandra!

Send me a message if you want more details!
is it availible for download online?

mr_harrison75

« Reply #367 on: May 26, 2007, 02:31:50 PM »
It is not available for download online, as far as I can tell...

Some members have a copy, though. You can try in the Romanovy: ventsenosnaya semya thread.

TheAce1918

« Reply #368 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:28 PM »
I am hunting this movie down.

First stop, IMDB!  :D

Alix of Wales had Panache

« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2007, 08:01:05 PM »
I got N&A several years ago and strange enough, the scene with Tatiana (sp) exposing herself is not in it.  Tel  me if some one in the Romanov family complained and it was nixed?

For the 70's it's a fairly decent effort in terms of the political aspect but I agree with what others pointed out about the N&A arguments and the Alexei chant.

The Kerensky character was the one who irrated me most.  Everything he said came off over the top whiny.  I started gnashing my teeth whenever he came on screen.

I have to see the more recent Rasputin film as I don't have that actor to compare to Tom Baker.  The scene where he rants aout his dual nature I believe captured the evil vs. good tug-of-war Rasputin always possessed.  Sadly he didn't lean towards stopping scandal coming his way and through him, the imperial family.

Bob_the_builder

« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2007, 10:10:26 PM »
I got N&A several years ago and strange enough, the scene with Tatiana (sp) exposing herself is not in it.  Tel  me if some one in the Romanov family complained and it was nixed?

For the 70's it's a fairly decent effort in terms of the political aspect but I agree with what others pointed out about the N&A arguments and the Alexei chant.

The Kerensky character was the one who irrated me most.  Everything he said came off over the top whiny.  I started gnashing my teeth whenever he came on screen.

I have to see the more recent Rasputin film as I don't have that actor to compare to Tom Baker.  The scene where he rants aout his dual nature I believe captured the evil vs. good tug-of-war Rasputin always possessed.  Sadly he didn't lean towards stopping scandal coming his way and through him, the imperial family.
Are you talking about the HBO movie "Rasputin", because that movie is truly great, and WAY better than "Nichlas and Alexandra", especially the execution scene.

dmitri

« Reply #371 on: June 16, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »
Michael Jayston was excellent as Nicholas II as was Janet Suzman as Alexandra Feodorovna and Irene Worth was sensational as Maria Feodorovna. Laurence Olivier was great as Count Witte as was Harry Andrews as Grand Duke Nicholas. It was all a touch too romanticised rather than showing the bungles. Also some of the events happened at the wrong time such as the assassination of Stolypin. The exile in Tobolsk did not show the real situation. It could have been so much better.  Read Robert Massie's book instead if you really want to know about the Romanovs as a starting point.

dmitri

« Reply #372 on: June 16, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
Alexandra was a formidable woman. Her lack of insight and inflexible persona caused a great deal of damage and did nothing to prevent the collapse of the dynasty. She was quite cold and shut herself off from the rest of the Romanovs and the Russian people. Of course she loved her husband but she controlled him totally. Nicholas II was quite a weak character.

dmitri

« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »
My favourite scenes featured Irene Worth as Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna and Michael Jayston as Nicholas II. One happens early on in the film and the other towards the end. Irene Worth was so good in the role as was Michael Jayston.

Silja

« Reply #374 on: June 17, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
Michael Jayston was excellent as Nicholas II as was Janet Suzman as Alexandra Feodorovna and Irene Worth was sensational as Maria Feodorovna. Laurence Olivier was great as Count Witte as was Harry Andrews as Grand Duke Nicholas.

Yes, these actors's performances were indeed fabulous, so the film could have been great if the script had been better. Unlike many here though I rather like Nicholas and Alexandra despite all its shortcomings.