Author Topic: Prince Andrew of Greece and his family  (Read 304752 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Prince Andrew of Greece and his family
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2004, 11:47:37 AM »
Well then by all means keep your long hair!  :)  I change between medium/long hair but refuse to cut it short (which is going to make me a big ole hypocrite in about 20 yrs!) because of the pixie-do MY mother insisted on when I was a girl. I looked just like a boy. :-/ Tall, skinny & flat-chested.

I think I have an aversion to it too because my Mom bugged me even as a kid to get a pixie and my brother used to threaten to cut off my hair in my sleep! I know what you mean about tall, skinny and flat chested, I had a friend in elementary school who was built that way and always had a pixie and she looked like a boy. Then I moved to another town when I was about 10. When I was in high school, this girl who was very shapely and pretty with long fluffy blonde hair came running up to me and called me by name. I had no idea who she was, and when she told me, I was shocked at the difference a little development and a lot of hair can make to improve someone's appearance- it was the same girl (who had also moved to that town) and she had grown up beautiful! I'm sure you did too:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2004, 05:56:26 AM »
I have a sort of grudging respect for Anne now.  I remember that she had to be dragged into line some years back, as her public profile was appalling; she made it quite clear that her primary aim in life was to please herself.  Her charity work is undertaken sincerely but she very much lacks the human touch that characterises people like the Dss of Kent and Diana.
As for her hair, well it is almost a national institution.  She is clearly a devotee of the 'backcomb, pile and lacquer to death' tradition which is soooo old-fashioned.  The only thing that it is good for is the wearing of a tiara (she is in posssession of a lovely diamond Meander tiara that had belonged to Alice Battenberg); having said that the Queen always looks great in a tiara, as did Diana, both having shorter hairstyles.  Anne is unrepentant about wearing old clothes and takes pride in the fact that she still wears evening dresses that she had in the 70's.  Personally I think her clothes are a national disgrace and that we, the tax payers, who after contribute to her (expensive) lifestyle should really see a better return for our money!
QE II was quite beautiful as a younger woman and looked stunning in the styles of the 50's, especially full evening dress.  There are some great pictures of her in Norman Hartnell evening creations, with fur wraps and wonderful jewels.  She still looks great for a lady in her seventies; does she really leave her wig on the nightstand?  |If she does wear a wig, I rather think that someone would take it away to be redressed for the next day, don't you?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »
Don't worry Martyn, her gowns are from the 70's they are long since paid for ;D

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
The wig story...
After that guy made his statement, the Palace came out and explained: HM has several wigs, for each part of her day. One is ready for her first thng in the am, others as depending on her day and night.
I would suppose there is no tax on creativity there.
Well, big surprise ! I would have a few on hand as well if I had her schedule at her age !
Cheers,
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2004, 09:59:36 AM »
Oh, did her Grandmother give her that Tiara while she was still alive or did she inherit it?

Oh, and Anne should also be glad she can still fit into her 1970's gowns. I can't wear my high school formals from the 70's anymore :-/

Sergio

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2004, 12:43:02 PM »
This is a little off topic:

Frederika of Hanover was Queen consort of Greece during the reign of her husband King Paul of Greece(1947-1964).
Through family relationship she was a distant cousin of Queen Elizabeth II and also of the Duke of Edinburgh.

She died on February 6, 1981 on exile in Madrid of heart failure during ophthalmic surgery.
A palace spokesman reported as "eyelid surgery" according to Queen Frederika's obituary in The New York Times.

Was Queen Frederika's surgery a plastic surgery?  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2004, 06:25:59 PM »
Opthalmic surgery would be some sort of eye surgery. I don't know what specific kind she was having--maybe cataract or something?

She was actually pretty close in relation to Philip being married to his first cousin Paul. She was a lot younger than Paul though so she was actually closer in age to Philip. She was also the sister-in-law to his sister Sophie after Sophie remarried to Frederika's brother George Wilhelm.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2004, 11:44:15 AM »
Well there is something to be said for seventies styles and they certainly look good on the young.......Enough said.
As for her gowns being paid for, perhaps they are and Gatcombe Park, the horses, the cars, the children and the staff - should I go on?
Fair exchange is no robbery and if she chooses to be dowdy then that is her prerogative.
Let's not turn it into a virtue..............

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2004, 07:59:20 PM »
Well there is something to be said for seventies styles and they certainly look good on the young.......Enough said.
As for her gowns being paid for, perhaps they are and Gatcombe Park, the horses, the cars, the children and the staff - should I go on?
Fair exchange is no robbery and if she chooses to be dowdy then that is her prerogative.
Let's not turn it into a virtue..............

Now tell us how you really feel, Martyn.  ;)  Annie--here's what I found on the tiara:
Princess Anne wears a diamond tiara, a wedding gift to Queen Elizabeth II from her mother in law, Princess Andreas of Greece, born Princess Alice of Battenberg. HM The Queen never wore this tiara in public and gave it to Princess Anne around 1972.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2004, 09:06:19 PM »
Thanks Ella for the info, but how sad Alice didn't get to see anyone wear it. She died in 1969:(

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2004, 10:04:41 AM »
Well, Anne tends to produce strong reactions in people, probably in much the same way that Ducky did.  In fact there may be something of the Hessian in her.  After all Victoria Battenberg was known for speaking her mind and for not caring a jot about her clothes - sounds familiar?
Anne has been the recipient of some fine jewellery, not that we see it much.  Apart from Alice's tiara - by the way thank you for the great picture of Alice wearing it, and I have to say she looks much better in it than Anne, she is in possession of an aquamarine tiara that had belonged to the Q.Mother; she also has a brooch that is a copy of the large sapphire and diamond one that had been Albert's gift to Victoria on their wedding day.  I think that Anne has also been photographed wearing the pearl choker that May bought from Xenia and which had been part of the collection of jewels that MF had brought out of Russia.
Alice's tiara is actually quite lovely close up; the central diamond is actually a lovely light yellow colour.  By the way, the present Queen's engagement ring was made from stones that came from some jewellery of Alice's that was broken up for this purpose (either a tiara or a bracelet, can't remember which....)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Martyn »

Offline Lourdes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2005, 04:08:10 AM »
I have read That Princess Alice (Princess Andrew Of Greece) was diagnosed as a Schizoprenic when she was young, and put in a Hospital. Was this a secret in the Family? Was this the cause of her marriage breaking up? Who cared for her children?

bluetoria

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2005, 05:15:25 AM »
According the the Hugo Vickers biography, this diagnosis was made in 1930 when she was 45. Hewrote that one of doctors thought her suffering from a 'neurotic-pre-psychotic libidinous condition'...on account of her sexual fantasies. It seems over-Freudian to me and the suggested treatments (x-rays to the gonads' to precipitate the menopause! :o) are positively archaic. It just shows the level of medical understanding of women even as late as the 1930s.
Vickers also writes thst the doctors main aim was to 'make sure that whatever the patient did was neither done in public nor inthe drawing room at home.'
Her marriage seems to be at the heart of many of her troubles. Her mother, the wonderfully courageous Victoria, played a major role in Philip's upbringing I believe, even though he was away at school much of the time.

Offline Lourdes

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2005, 06:13:47 AM »
Thanks Bluetoria! How horrible! So Alice was considered ill because she was a little too sexual? She sure would fit in to our world today! Poor dear. I cant imagine the treatments she had to endure! I remember seeing a picture of her years ago in a Nun's habit. Thanks for your help!

bluetoria

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2005, 06:46:12 AM »
I think she WAS ill as well...she developed some kind of religious obsession (some people suggest it was inspired by her horror at what happened to Ella, whom shegreatly admired), and suffered some kind of a breakdown. It's just that the doctors' assessment at the time seems very bizarre, but perhaps typical when you consider that unmarried mothers were put in asylums & women were not supposed to have any sexual feelings whatsoever, just to 'lie back & think fo England' (or perhaps America or whatever your native land!!)