Author Topic: Empress Alexandra and Maria Feodorovna  (Read 70795 times)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Alexandra and Maria Feodorovna
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2005, 11:45:37 PM »
Since Queen Alexandra was Alix's aunt, perhaps she also wished to call MF 'Aunty'?  Wouldn't surprise me that she was told to, or maybe MF wished for Alix to call her 'Aunty'; wasn't MF Alix's godmother?  It seems to me the royalties did that back then; afterall they were pretty much one big family (the royal mob!).

Offline pinklady

• Graf
  • Imagine being the person your dog thinks you are..
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 03:55:55 AM »
Queen Alexandra was Nicholas AND Alix's Aunt, and so therefore what Lanie says makes perfect sense.
And Alexander 111 and Minnie WERE Alix's Godparents, so Yes JonC it makes perfect sense to me that poor little parentless Alix would call Minnie "Aunty", as Minnie's sister Queen Alexandra was her real Aunty, Minie was her Godmother, and they were all inter - related.
And really, you think that Queen Victoria would have wanted Alix to marry her brother?? (Eddy)
Who is strange now?
As it is according to your theory, she married her cousin Nicky?
Better than a brother anyway I guess...

Can't you see how Alix, Ella and May all look so alike??
They had the same parents, after all, does Alix resemble Queen Alexandra's daughters, I don't think so.

Offline lilavanderhorn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 07:52:56 AM »
Calling an older woman "aunty" is perfectly normal in some families.  I call my mother's older friends "Aunty".  It is a sign of respect.  I still call them that as I am older.  To say that Alix is Alexandra's daughter is plain ridiculous.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 08:16:54 AM »
My mother had 4 sisters. They all called the eldest "Aunty". All of the cousins, including me, called this eldest aunt "Sis". I have no idea why, but it is not so rare, apparently as some may think perhaps.
Certainly not as rare as calling Alexandra Alix's mother !
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:50:58 PM by Alixz »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Alexandra

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 03:04:46 AM »
There is also the whole array of what, in English, are called 'cousins-german,' from the French 'germain,' NOTHING to do with Germany, whatsoever!! This line of nomenclature sometimes has the younger members of a family considered as 'nieces' and 'nephews,' the elder ones 'aunts' and 'uncles,' although the relationships may actually be quite other than those presupposed by the names. Catherine the Great was quite aware of this custom and refers to it as 'de Bretagne' in her memoirs. It does not happen in Scottish families, in which, say, aunt and niece may be coaevals, and if raised together, one might suppose they would call one another 'sisters' - but they do not!
Since MF and AA were indeed Alix's godparents, there is every reason to suppose that the 'Aunty' style arose from that relationship.
Perhaps also in MF's objections to AF as a 'stiff Englishwoman,' we forget the former's affections and loyalities to Russia ... which had not yet recovered from its humiliations at English hands during the Crimean War. MF could not have helped being affected by this fact, but I do think it was Alix' often misunderstood reserve, shyness, and awkwardness with which MF became so exasperated.
Jon C ... I remember you from other strands. I am sorry to say that, in all my many decades of research among those who figure so prominently in the Almanach de Gotha, I have not once found so much as a scintilla of evidence to support the idea that Alix von Hesse und bei Rhin was the daughter of Alexandra, Princess of Wales ... or indeed of anyone other than Alice and Ludwig, or Louis, of Hesse. What would Tum-Tum have thought had Alexandra served his gander some good goose sauce??  ;)

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 11:39:14 PM »
I have a question and I hope this is the appropriate place to ask. As you can see, I am new.
Does anyone have any idea why the Dowager Empress never believed that the IF family were executed? Is their any mention of this in any of her dairies or letters? Did she have any tangible reason to believe the IF was still alive? ???
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

bluetoria

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 06:56:09 AM »
Perhaps it was just too terrible for her to accept and she found consolation in believing that there was still some hope of seeing them again.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »
Perhaps it was just too terrible for her to accept and she found consolation in believing that there was still some hope of seeing them again.

That's possible. But I still wonder if she had some reason to believe the IF was still alive. Did she believe them all to be alive? Or just certain members of the family?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 02:17:58 PM »

That's possible. But I still wonder if she had some reason to believe the IF was still alive. Did she believe them all to be alive? Or just certain members of the family?

Something tells me she wouldn't have been too heartbroken if  Alexandra was the only one who didn't make it.

In fact the more I read, it sounds like Alexandra would have been attacked directly many if she had survived.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ashanti01 »

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

Something tells me she wouldn't have been too heartbroken if  Alexandra was the only one who didn't make it.

In fact the more I read, it sounds like Alexandra would have been attacked directly many if she had survived.

1. I think it's unfair to both Empresses to suggest that MF's negative feelings about her daughter went so far as to wish her dead. It was much more complex than this. I can't think that MF was unappreciative of AF's role as a wife and mother. Like most of the family, she wanted Alix to stop meddling in politics and send Rasputin away. But wish her dead? No, I don't think that's a fair characterization of their relationship.

2. As to whether there was some basis for MF to believe that Nicholas or Michael survived, I don't think she believed this, either. Like her sister Alexandra, Maria Feodorovna had rather clever ways of dealing with unpleasant realities. Her insistance on their survival was merely another way of doing this. As her daughter Olga let us know, her mother knew the truth.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 04:37:54 PM »
I don't say Minnie would wish Alix dead, I only said that I doubt she would have been very heartbroken is Alix had not made it and the other's had.

From what I'm reading many members of the IF and noble families as well, blamed Alix for the revolution. If she had survived I wouldn't be very surprised if they would have lashed out against her.

I don't think Minnie hated Alix, but it doesn't like she loved her either. That's just my two cents.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:53:06 PM by Alixz »

bluetoria

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2005, 06:35:27 AM »

2. As to whether there was some basis for MF to believe that Nicholas or Michael survived, I don't think she believed this, either. Like her sister Alexandra, Maria Feodorovna had rather clever ways of dealing with unpleasant realities. Her insistance on their survival was merely another way of doing this. As her daughter Olga let us know, her mother knew the truth.

Perhaps it was also a clever way of being able to avoid having to meet all the impostors who claimed to be members of the Imperial Family.

Offline pinklady

• Graf
  • Imagine being the person your dog thinks you are..
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2005, 07:04:03 AM »

Perhaps it was also a clever way of being able to avoid having to meet all the impostors who claimed to be members of the Imperial Family.

I agree with you Bluetoria, as surely the English and Danish royals had solid inside information that in fact all  members of the family had perished, and in later years King George quickly helped other royals when they were in crisis, I beleive because he couldnt have another tragedy after the sad events in Russia in 1918.

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »

Her insistance on their survival was merely another way of doing this. As her daughter Olga let us know, her mother knew the truth.
[/quote]

Where can I read about this?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 08:13:48 AM »
Her insistance on their survival was merely another way of doing this. As her daughter Olga let us know, her mother knew the truth.Where can I read about this?

Lexie4, I am not 100% sure, but I believe this was in the Last Grand Duchess by Ian Vorres.