Author Topic: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo  (Read 167252 times)

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
Re: Help with Identification, Translations, Finding a Photo
« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2013, 11:29:31 PM »
Its Maria, no doubt about it.

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
I also think it's Maria. For a comparasion, on Sarushka's post about long/short dress:

(Tsar, Tsarevich, GDes Maria and Anastasia, Sablin, and the two Derevenko's were present also.)

I do have a question about this one:

(Also labeled to have been taken at Peterhof in 1915 -- why was Aleksei wearing dark suit? (In the 1st one, his shirt is white) Is that because -- they stayed at Peterhof for several days or simply boy had changed his clothes?)

-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #332 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
I believe they went a few times to Peterhof in 1915  on  day trips, drive out for the day ...and so AN is dressed differently in different photos. . I have also seen photos where the girls are dressed in the red polka dot dresses too...so a number of out fits for both in photos

The sad thing about  these photos is  they seem like tourists to their own  past lives

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
The book King, Kaiser, Tsar includes a photo I've never seen online yet of Nicholas, Anastasia and Nicholas Nikolaevich at Livadia in the early 1910s. Would anyone here happen to have it?

I have a lot of Alexandra photos that I haven't been able to date. Picking a few of my favourites from that folder, could anyone help me with guessing the years of these photos?

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #334 on: November 18, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »
http://i019.radikal.ru/0909/d4/e62f5efea9e3.jpg

Maria?

Also, if you have a year I'd appreciate it! :)
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

Maria?

Yes, I believe it is Maria. The year was 1914, and IMHO,it was taken at Finland, by judging the type of the trees in the photo. By the way, your banner is awesome!

I have a lot of Alexandra photos that I haven't been able to date.

Same here. I was never able to identify a year on reagrding the Empress' photos. Could the 1st one be taken in 1912/3...? And the last one in 1910? My best guess, but I could be very wrong.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:18:29 PM by nena »

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #336 on: November 18, 2013, 03:26:56 PM »
Wouldn't it have to be at least 1915 since her hair is up? And is that the rumored gap between her teeth I see there? Hmm...

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 18, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »
Maria started wearing her hair up even in spring/early summer of 1914, not in 1915 as it was supposed earlier.

See:

(June 1914)

Same date, spring/early summer 1914:

That photo you posted, GD Kassy, was taken in Finland, and in 1915 the IF didn't cruise there, because of the war. Even NII visited Helsinki (Finland) in 1915, but his family did not, according to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:58:02 PM by nena »

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Everything I know is wrong >.<

Thank you for pointing that out.

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »

Haha, no worries, even now I have many doubts on some information I have/know about the IF, like anyone...The typical example is the wrong caption in 'Anastasia's album' on the photos taken 'at the beach in Peterhof in summer of 1915' while actuaclly those were taken in South Crimea in May of 1916. You're welcome. Glad to be helpful.

A man learns troughout his life, evry day. Keep that n mind.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 18, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »

Actually, I think you know quite a lot.  Even the most knowledgeable among us get stuff wrong sometimes ;)

Offline KarinK

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »

Maria?

Olga, Tatiana and Maria can look so alike in those dresses that I really can't be sure, but I think this girl looks most like Maria. But there are other photos where Tatiana is holding the cane seen in this picture and Maria is holding a camera, so the girl might be Tatiana and Maria was the photographer. Judging by Tatiana's hair, I'd say these photos were from late summer 1914. I wish there was an answer for the little mystery of why Maria got to put her hair up early!

Same here. I was never able to identify a year on reagrding the Empress' photos. Could the 1st one be taken in 1912/3...? And the last one in 1910? My best guess, but I could be very wrong.

Sometimes the first reminds me of 1912-13, sometimes it makes me think of photos of Nicholas and Alexandra during the 1914 cruise. And the last one is tough. It reminds me of the Beinecke album 1908-09 photo of Alexandra and the children on the balcony, but I can't be sure. One day I feel that she looks a little healthier in this photo, the next that it might just be a difference in lighting.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:27 AM »
I do have a question about this one:

(Also labeled to have been taken at Peterhof in 1915 -- why was Aleksei wearing dark suit? (In the 1st one, his shirt is white) Is that because -- they stayed at Peterhof for several days or simply boy had changed his clothes?)

Nena, there are a lot of possibilities! Two came to my mind. The first photo (and other of the same day are of the 5 of July, it is more or less clear from the Tsar's diary. This day Alexis boated and then it rained. We can supposed he was wet and changed his clothes. Second possibility: the 19 July, Nicolas II, Marie, Anastasia, Alexei and Sabline went another time together to Peterhof, drank milk, boated, walked. Perhaps this picture was taken that day, and Alexei was wearing dark suit?

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »
Nena, there are a lot of possibilities! Two came to my mind. The first photo (and other of the same day are of the 5 of July, it is more or less clear from the Tsar's diary. This day Alexis boated and then it rained. We can supposed he was wet and changed his clothes. Second possibility: the 19 July, Nicolas II, Marie, Anastasia, Alexei and Sabline went another time together to Peterhof, drank milk, boated, walked. Perhaps this picture was taken that day, and Alexei was wearing dark suit?

Yes, that's exactly what I had thought, thank you for further explaination and giving the dates. He rarely wore that dark suit, there are just a few photos of him in that one (mostly from early chldhood, during mid/late 1910's), usually the shirt was white.

Sometimes the first reminds me of 1912-13, sometimes it makes me think of photos of Nicholas and Alexandra during the 1914 cruise. And the last one is tough. It reminds me of the Beinecke album 1908-09 photo of Alexandra and the children on the balcony, but I can't be sure. One day I feel that she looks a little healthier in this photo, the next that it might just be a difference in lighting.
The first two you posted were taken at the same day, the Empress was holding a book(s?), and IMHO, those were taken in approx. 1913, but could be also 1914 Standart cruise. Yes, I thought that the last one could have been taken in 1909 at the AP. No, really, I was never, never able to guess the right year when I see Empress' photos. Somehow after Aleksei's birth, her face 'became old' due to all the troubles she had with the Heir's illness. So by 1917/8 her health completely went down, what can be seen from the photos. Especially since accident at Spala, we can say from the photos that she literally 'became older for 10 years'.  

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »

Maria?

I have seen this GD identified as Olga and I believe that is correct. There is another photo of another angel of the scene.  Also this is a dog they found  that looks like Joy, but has different markings and one can see the Imp holding the dog  later back on the yacht( when they are sitting with their Mother and TN on a bench ) 

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna