Author Topic: Henry VIII's wives and their physical attributes  (Read 87086 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Re: Henry VIII's wives and their physical attribut
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
cook him a nice dinner ;D
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 10:10:47 AM »
That's certainly one way.  ;D ;D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

bell_the_cat

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 10:27:45 AM »
That's certainly one way.  ;D ;D

.....and let him fall asleep watching the sport while you tidy up in the kitchen!

I believe this is what Antonia herself does.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »

Lorelei_Lee

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
I don't think he would have "dumped" or divorced Jane, rather he would have kept her as the good little wife who would have re-produced every couple of years until she wore out.......sheesh, what a thought  

I agree.  He'd never have divorced Katherine of Aragon if she'd given him a son who'd lived.  Anne would have had to settle for being Henry's mistress.  I think Henry had been toying with the notion of divorcing Katherine even before he fell in love with Anne ... IIRC Wolsey was in favor of the idea but wanted him to marry a French princess.  Katherine had an early-ish menopause, I think, and that didn't help matters, because of course once she'd been through "the change" there was no longer even the possibility of her producing a male heir.  

And speaking of "female matters" ... if Katherine Howard was really only 15 or 16 when she married Henry, she likely wasn't menstruating when she was fooling around with Francis Dereham.  I've read that in the sixteenth century girls tended to mature a bit later than they do now because of the difference in diet.  Obviously it would vary from woman to woman, and there certainly WERE women who became mature sexually while still in their early teens, but poor little Katherine Howard may not have been one of them, precocious though she seems to have been in other ways (ahem!)

Lookswise, I think the French ambassador described Katherine as a lady of only "moderate beauty but surpassing grace."  Henry would have appreciated her graceful dancing, just as he appreciated Anne's musical talent.  He liked his ladies to be accomplished.  

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 05:01:08 PM »
I agree with all of the above.  ;D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2006, 10:41:55 AM »
As for Henry VIII's wives physical attributes, we have to remember that standards of beauty have really changed. And what they might have considered beautiful is far from what we would see as such. And we don't know how accurate portaits were, nor how much the style of the day might make someone who was pretty look much less so. These are all the factors. But if we consider someone attractive from her portrait, then she no doubt was, given all the above. Katherine of Aragon was a beauty by anyone's standards in youth, but she lost her looks later with all that child bearing and stress. That is not very surprising. As for Anne Boleyn, she was a beauty in our eyes, if not then, and she was defintely sexy. She would be considered very attractive today, as would Katherine of Aragon in youth, although slightly less so. Jane Seymour was an epitome of Tudor beauty, pale skin, and all that. Today, it is hard to say how attractive she would be considered. Perhaps with a better hair style and outfi she would look better.

As for the last three, it is said that that portrait of Anne of Cleves is unaccurate, which could be true. She seems in the portrait to be pretty, although rather dour. She seems slightly less ravishing than his first two wives, but prettier than Jane. Catherine Howard is hard to pinpoint as having an accurate portrait. It seems that she was a typical Tudor beauty, with her skin, and she was no dount young and nubile, which is always attractive. Today she might be regarded as having a bit of a mannish look. Katherine Parr seems normal and pleasant in looks, as she was in personality. She was pretty, but not in a ravishing way, just in a ordinary way.

nelly

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2006, 04:42:18 PM »
I seem to remember seeing another portrait of Anne of Cleves showing her profile.   According to that picture, she really had a lonnnnnng nose and looked rather schoolmarmish.  Holbein was quite clever in posing her head-on, minimising that nose ;D

Tsarina_Liz

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2006, 09:04:21 PM »
I seem to remember seeing another portrait of Anne of Cleves showing her profile.   According to that picture, she really had a lonnnnnng nose and looked rather schoolmarmish.  Holbein was quite clever in posing her head-on, minimising that nose ;D

And some of the nose was even painted over... What a honker it must have been.

Henry, interestingly, never developed a certain type of woman to pursue (for example, some men prefer dogging leggy blondes, other short brunettes with green eyes etc.).  His tastes fluxuated throughout his reign when it came to queens, although admittedly he chose strong, smart and vivacious women who could (when they wanted to) play house to perfection.  What did Bessie Blount and Madge Shelton look like?  Other mistresses?  I cannot find any information on their appearances.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »
Bessie is usually said to have been beautiful, though no further details are given. Perhaps Madge resembled her cousin Mary Boleyn, and that's what attracted the King.
-Sherlock Holmes

Tsarina_Liz

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 08:57:56 AM »
Bessie is usually said to have been beautiful, though no further details are given. Perhaps Madge resembled her cousin Mary Boleyn, and that's what attracted the King.

That's true, I never thought about that.  

For a man who was so oversexed and interested in women, Henry was remarkably discreet.  I have never seen a description of his wives that he personally wrote (well, except for his blustering about Anna of Cleves).  But I have seen some opinions of his about their intellectual traits.  And I can't figure it out.  Henry seems, on the surface, to be a man who would revel in his beautiful conquests (despite being a prude) and would have left a more complete record.  

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »
Given that portraits were more touched up, as it were, it is likely that Anne of Cleves was not a great beauty, although they were other reasons that King Henry called her what he did. Certainly, he did not seem to have a physical type, but it is hard to tell from all those old portaits. Perhaps he did, but it is hard to see. And with so many wives, perhaps it was hard to have a physical type. ;)

ilyala

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2006, 01:49:40 AM »
a little personal point of view here: i have a personal physical style however the guys i liked during my life don't look much like each other. because my physical style referrs to smiles, looks, eyes, gestures... it's still a physical appreciation of the person, but not necessairilly hair colour, eye colour, length of feet... maybe henry had a simmilar thing...

Tsarina_Liz

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2006, 08:10:08 AM »
a little personal point of view here: i have a personal physical style however the guys i liked during my life don't look much like each other. because my physical style referrs to smiles, looks, eyes, gestures... it's still a physical appreciation of the person, but not necessairilly hair colour, eye colour, length of feet... maybe henry had a simmilar thing...

He could have.  I think, underneath it all he was looking for an intelligent, headstrong woman who could put up a fight when she wanted to and could match him wit for wit but also a woman who knew how to act like a real wife and coddle and appease him.  He liked to be controlled, to be challenged, but not to know it.  Me thinks he may also have been looking for a mommy, but that's just speculation.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2006, 02:26:15 PM »
In short, his standards were ridiculously high.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
Well, my hubby has no complaints ;D ;D ;D
Member of the Richard III Society