Author Topic: College Courses on Imperial Russian History  (Read 4991 times)

Offline AlexieNichole

• Long Live the Romanovs and the Imperial Family
    • View Profile
College Courses on Imperial Russian History
« on: December 27, 2005, 09:18:26 PM »
Has anyone here taken any college courses that are specifically regarding Imperial Russian history?

I checked one of my state university website and they do offer 3 Russian history courses, in alternate years; not available this year 2005-2006.

They are Medieval Russia for the history of Russia to 1700 including topics on the foundation of the Russia state and the expansion of the state, Christianization, the Mongol conquest, the reign of Ivan the Terrible and the Muscovite Society and politics

The second course offered is for Imperial Russia from 1700 to 1905 and includes topics on: efforts at reform by Tsars, intellectuals and peasants, the development of the revolutionary movement and the social and political life of the Russian people

The third course offered is for Twentieth Century Russia, from 1905 to present including topics on: Russia in a century of unrest, the intent and results of the Revolution, including the Marists "victory" in 1917, Joseph Stalin's "revolution from above" and the Gorbachev revolution in the 1980s

From what I can our course are taught by a Russian

Offline studiyentka

• View Profile
Re: College Courses on Imperial Russian History
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
evergreen  state college has a program that focuses on all aspects of russian history culture language etc. only the fall quarter is focused completely on history. but its an AMAZING program. and the Instructors are so passionate about what the teach.

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
I've taken the Tsarist Russia course at my university. From what AlexeiNichole said, it sounds like a combination of the first and second courses. My university also offers a Twentieth Century Russia class too, but I didn't go for that one since I'm not quite as interested in that part of Russian history.

Offline Elocin

• Working myself insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »
I took History 327 which is Imperial Russian History from Athabasca University a couple of years ago.  I quite enjoyed it though the text book was only so so.  But for a distance learning course it was pretty good.