Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Family  (Read 156744 times)

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Queen Victoria's Family
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »
I know that Bertie & Alice got along well, but I've also read that he didn't get along with Beatrice, because of jealousy. What I mean is that he was jealous that Victoria took Beatrice as her confidant & not him. For similar reasons, I heard that Bertie was jealous of Leopold. I read that Arthur & Leopold were close. I also got the impression that Vicky & Bertie were close & I know that she & Alice were close. I was wondering, since I've never really heard, how the children got along with Alfred. I also have read that though Helena & Louise were grouped together, but were different. What were the children's relationship with the Duchess of Kent & what was Albert's relationship with her?

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Queen Victoria's Children as Siblings
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:21:19 AM »
Helena was Affie's favourite sister.  ;)

Albert got on really well with his aunt and mother in law. He engineered the reconciliation between her and QV.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:09:42 AM »
Vicky and Bertie, despite rough patches here and there (childhood jealousy and then the Schleswig-Holstein question) were very close. He was a staunch supporter of her in her troubles and she never failed to write to QV praising him for this or that--especially when QV seemed down on him. Their last meeting was a very touching one where he visited his dying sister at her home after he had become King.

Vicky and Alice were close and their relationship managed to be sustained even through Prussia's war with Hesse. That could've wrecked a weaker bond.

Vicky and Helena were close enough that when Helena had a health issue that required her to get away to somewhere private, she went and stayed with Vicky at Friedrichshof. Louise was also a visitor to Vicky but this bond seemed looser--perhaps because of the age difference--but they were the two most artistic of QV's children. Vicky lamented that she hardly knew Beatrice as she was growing up since Beatrice was still a toddler when Vicky married and left England. It seems she tried to spend more time with her as they got older though.

I don't know much about her relationship with Affie--he spent the most time away from family on naval duties. She was fond of 'dear Arthur' and happily encouraged his match with Louise of Prussia. I don't know much about her and Leopold.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:12:26 AM »
Arthur was close to Louise and they had an active correspondence. He seems to have grown closer to Bertie as they aged but there was a strong jealousy factor (on Bertie's part) and their temperaments were very different.

There was an incident where Bertie was very angry at Helena, Louise and Beatrice. They apparently came to Eddy's service despite Alix wanting to keep in quiet and very private. They found themselves locked in one of the stalls, whether by accident or design, and were put out. Bertie was unsympathetic to say the least.

Overall he seems to have been closest to Vicky, Alice and, in later years, Louise. Louise seems to have shared his interests more than Helena or Beatrice, the other sisters living in England.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:31:52 PM »
Apparently Leopold was Louises favourite brother. They went to America together and saw themselves referred to as "Vic's chick's" to QV's disgust.  ;D

Bertie apparently was jealous of Beatrices close relationship to QV and state affairs and never really forgave her for that, I don't know if I really believe it  :-/

Vicky, being so nice, pretty much got on well with all of them. As did Alice except for perhaps for a few ups and downs with Helena. Normal family stuff!! She was very close to Bertie too and he was devastated when she died.  Also, as you would expect,  Alice was very caring towards the Duchess of Kent before she died.

From what I have read about Louise I think her siblings found her rather trying.

Helena being so much in QVs company obviously saw a lot of Beatice, I' don't know much about their relationship. Maybe it's just me but Beatrice does strike me as rather easy going so I can't imagine her not getting on with any of them!!

Hope that all makes sense! My dinners ready!  ;D

Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »
Maybe Bertie and Beatrice weren't close simply because of the 16 year age gap.  ;) Helena and Affie were close, as I said.

Enjoy your dinner Eddieboy.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Prince_Lieven »
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ssyentz

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 04:13:53 PM »
Another bit of info comes to mind:

Leopold and Alice were quite close.  He was, ironically, Frittie's godfather and grieved greatly when his little nephew died yet attempted to soothe Alice in her mourning by writing to her that at least Frittie would not to suffer all the tribulations that come with hemophilia as he, Leopold, had.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 06:54:47 AM »
Maybe Bertie and Beatrice weren't close simply because of the 16 year age gap.  ;) Helena and Affie were close, as I said.

Enjoy your dinner Eddieboy.  ;D ;D

lol, thanks Prince. I think the age gap was definitely a factor in Bertie and Beatrices relationship. Apparently Alexandra was also not very close to Helena, Louise (she was to begin with) or Beatrice. Although she liked Vicky a lot.

What a fascinating family they were!!  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 06:56:30 AM »

What a fascinating family they were!!  :)

Amen to that!  :) I'm surprised Alix wasn't close to Helena, only 2 years her senior.  ??? I guess though that they weren't really compatible as characters. BTW, Alix and Affie got on very well. Affie - who was Alix's age - had hoped Bertie might turn her down so he could marry her.  ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 07:04:06 AM »
Yes, Queen Victoria complained that Affie was far too "epris" of Alix for him to be allowed to spend much time with her and Bertie "for it could ruin the happiness of all three...".

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »
Yes thats true and Leopold I think liked Alix a lot, you couldn't help but like her i suppose!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 07:07:27 AM »
Yes, Queen Victoria complained that Affie was far too "epris" of Alix for him to be allowed to spend much time with her and Bertie "for it could ruin the happiness of all three...".

Yes, I think Gladstone said something like 'We must speak of Prince Alfred Ma'am.' And she said 'Yes, he's far too taken with Alexandra.' To which a confused Gladstone replied 'I was referring to the offer from Greece, Ma'am.'  ;D ;D

Warning - this may have happened or I may be subconsciously taking it from 'Edward VII'.  ;D ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 09:57:41 AM »

Amen to that!  :) I'm surprised Alix wasn't close to Helena, only 2 years her senior.  ??? I guess though that they weren't really compatible as characters. BTW, Alix and Affie got on very well. Affie - who was Alix's age - had hoped Bertie might turn her down so he could marry her.  ;D

Part of the problem lay in Helena's choice of husband. The whole Schleswig-Holstein issue raised its ugly head again. Helena's husband Christian was the brother of Duke Friedrich who claimed the Duchies (and who had the support of Vicky & Fritz) that Alix viewed as belonging to Denmark. Having to have as a brother-in-law a reminder of the disastrous war couldn't have been pleasant. It was probably also a factor in Alix's nasty dismissal of Thora as such a 'beauty' and shooting down the suggestion that she marry George.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:07:48 AM »
I don't think Vicky and Beatrice fought, but they weren't particularly close. Vicky said something to the effect of: "She'll see me more as an aunt rather than a sister." As Vicky was seventeen and engaged when Beatrice was born in 1857. She married Fritz of Prussia less than a year later, Jan. 25, 1858.

Affie and Helena got along well. I think Helena was Affie's favorite out of his sisters. I think Alice and Bertie were somewhat close too.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 12:13:46 PM »
I don't think Vicky and Beatrice fought, but they weren't particularly close. Vicky said something to the effect of: "She'll see me more as an aunt rather than a sister." As Vicky was seventeen and engaged when Beatrice was born in 1857. She married Fritz of Prussia less than a year later, Jan. 25, 1858.

Affie and Helena got along well. I think Helena was Affie's favorite out of his sisters. I think Alice and Bertie were somewhat close too.

I have a feeling they were quite close. When Liko died good old Vicky travelled to England to comfort Beatrice. Also when Vicky was diagnosed with cancer Beatrice was one of the very few people she told first.  Beatrice also spent quite a bit of time with Vicky before she died.

Alice and Bertie were very close. She was one of the only ones that really understood him. He was devastated when she died.

FREE PALESTINE.