Author Topic: The Cambridge/Teck/Fitzgeorge branches  (Read 36864 times)

alixaannencova

Re: The Cambridge/Teck/Fitzgeorge branches
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »
Once again our wonderful grandduchessella proves a 'crown' mine of data! Thaankyou so very much for sharing what is evidently only a morsel of your great knowledge with us! Thankyou ;D

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
You're very welcome. It's nice to have a topic that we haven't really discussed much before--we've discussed some of the Cambridges but not this group. I always have an interest in some of the other branches of the British royal family--Tecks, Cambridges (not really the Fitzgeorges so much as the Teck Cambridges) and so on.

It's seems that some of the financial difficulties which troubled George Fitzgeorge and his cousin Frank Teck continued into some of the other generations. Lt. George Fitzgeorge, who died on active duty, had legal action taken against his estate. He was judged to have borrowed several thousand pounds from moneylenders, which he gambled away. He was about GBP 7000 in debt when he died.

As for 'keeping in touch' with the more elevated branches of the family, wedding gifts were regularly sent. When Iris Fitzgeorge married Robert Balfour, she received gifts from Queens Alexandra and Mary as well as Grand Duchess Augusta and the Duke and Duchess of Teck (Queen Mary's brother & wife) as well as Alexander Teck and his wife Alice. These were often jewelry--and in Iris's case, between her various relations, she received 3 tiaras and a good amount of other jewelry items. She also received permission from King George to be married in the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace. Iris's mother, Rosa, had been a Baring though I don't know if she was one of THE Barings, the very wealthy banking family, but they bestowed a large amount of jewelry as well so they seem to have been well-off.

Incidentally, Rosa had previously been married and divorced and she brought 2 children to her marriage to Colonel Fitzgeorge, by whom she had 3 more children. Rosa's daughter Gertrude Arkwright married and divorced and married as her 2nd husband Prince Alberto Lombardy. One genealogy site alleges (but there isn't really any proof given) that Gertrude may have been the natural daughter of Col. Fitzgeorge's cousin, Adolphus Teck, 2nd Duke of Teck and 1st Marquess of Cambridge. She was later employed by Coco Chanel (Grand Duke Dmitri of Russia's lover) to facillitate royal introductions.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:52 PM »
George's granddaughter, Iris Fitzgeorge, (according to the Online Gotha she went by her middle name) married Pr Vladimir Galitzine in 1945 when she was almost 60. She had previously been married to Robert Shekelton Balfour for about 30 years, until his death in 1942. She had issue from this prior marriage.

Prince Vladimir Galitzine's first wife had been the daughter of Duke George of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Since Iris's great-aunt was Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, did this form part of the connection between Iris and the Prince? Ekaterina Galitzine was killed in an air raid in 1940.

GD George--Friedrich m. Augusta Cambridge

GD George--George m. GD Ekaterina--George--Ekaterina m. Prince Galitzine

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2007, 10:50:18 PM »
Some brief bios courtesy of wikipedia:

George FitzGeorge

Colonel George William Adolphus FitzGeorge was the eldest of three sons of the morganatic marriage which the 2nd Duke of Cambridge contracted with Miss Louisa Fairbrother, the actress, the other sons being Admiral Sir Adolphus FitzGeorge and Colonel Sir Augustus FitzGeorge.

Colonel FitzGeorge was born in 1843 and in due course, following the profession of his father, received a commission in the 20th Hussars. When the Egyptian Campaign of 1882 was undertaken he went out to Egypt on special service and was attached to the personal staff of Lord, the General Sir Garnet, Wolseley. He was present at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir, and brought home the despatches. His services in the campaign were mentioned in despatches , and he was awarded with the brevet of lieutenant-colonel, the medal with clasp, the Fourth Class of the Osmanieh, and the Khedive's Star. He retired from the Army in 1895.

FitzGeorge married, in 1865, Rosa Frederica, second daughter of Mr. William Henry Baring, J.P., of Norman Court, Hants, who bore him a son, George.

Colonel FitzGeorge died at the Eden-house Hotel, Lucerne on September 2nd, 1907 after lying ill for some weeks.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »
Adolphus FitzGeorge

Rear-Admiral Sir Adolphus Augustus Frederick FitzGeorge KCVO was the second son of 2nd Duke of Cambridge by his morganatic marriage to Miss Louisa (Sarah) Fairbrother and was born January 30th, 1846.

Sir Adolphus entered the Royal Navy in March, 1859, and became sub-lieutenant in 1865 and a lieutenant in the following year. In June, 1867, he joined the Galatea, screw frigate, commanded by Captain the Duke of Edinburgh, and in March, 1872, was appointed flag-lieutenant to Admiral Sir Rodney Mundy, Commander-in-Chief at Portsmouth. On November 30th, 1872, he was promoted to commander. Following a period at the Royal Naval College, he became Inspecting Officer of Coastguard at Scarborough in February, 1874, and in September of the next year was given command of the sloop Rapid in the Mediterranean. Other commands he held were those of the Dasher, paddle gun-vessel, stationed off the Channel Islands; and the Salamis, dispatch vessel, in the Channel Squadron, from the latter of which he was promoted captain on October 14th, 1881. In March, 1885, he became captain of the troopship Jumna, in the transport service to India, and his two years or more in this command marked the limit of his active naval employment. He retired on January 1st, 1893, and was advanced to rear-admiral on the retired list on October 20th, 1896. On leaving the Navy he received the appointment of Deputy Ranger of Richmond Park. For many years he acted as equerry to his father, and in 1904, the year in which the Duke died, he was gazetted a K.C.V.O.

Sir Adolphus married, in 1875, Sophia Jane, the daughter of Mr. Thomas Holden, of Winstead Hall, Hull, by whom he had one daughter. Following the death of the first Lady FitzGeorge the Admiral maried, in 1920, Marguerite, daughter of John Watson, of Waresley Court, Hartlebury, Worcestershire.

Sir Adolphus passed away December 17th, 1922, at his residence, 20 Eccleston Square, London.

Issue
Olga Mary Adelaide FitzGeorge  October 15th, 1928 married, 1897, Mr (later Sir) C.E. Archibald Hamilton (divorced 1902); married 2ndly, 1905, Robert Charlton Lane.

alixaannencova

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 03:35:23 AM »
George Jnr sounds a bit like his aunt Mary Adelaide (My absolute fave British Royal!) It seems rather pleasing that George Cambridge carved out such a life for himself without losing his cousin QV's support. I guess if such a thing happened today, the media would have taken a very different view of Cambridge and his family affairs. From all accounts I gather he was in all other ways a exemplary Prince of the realm and 'plodding' but industrious soldier with quite a record!

His descendents sound colourful, particularly Olga and Iris. It's interesting how Cambridge women seem to stand out so much more than the men. Both Augusta MS and Mary Adelaide were characters and QM too. Olga's scrapes must have caused comparisons to Mary Adelaide! Though of cause the latters' morals were never called into question, merely her integrity! Once again Grandduchessella thank you for you time and the gems from your trove that you share so generously with us!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
Some of the Fitzgeorge women were a very interesting bunch with pretty colorful lives--most especially Iris. This isn't surprising given her mother, Rosa Baring, was a colorful character as well with some interesting connections.

Some of her background:

Parents: Elizabeth Hammersley & William Baring

Maternal aunts & uncles:

Emily Hammersley m. Charles Littledale (nephew of Jane Austen)

Catherine Hammersley m. Thomas Weguelin M.P., partner of Thomson, Bonar & Co., of London and St. Petersburg, Russia merchants, Director and then Governor of the Bank of England

Frederick Hammersley founded the Army School of Physical Training at Aldershot, where there is a portrait of him, and is known as 'the father of Army gymnastics'

Cousins:

Gertrude Jekyll (daughter of Julia Hammersley), created over 400 gardens in the UK, Europe and America; her influence on garden design has been pervasive to this day. Gertrude Jekyll is well known for her association with the English architect, Sir Edwin Lutyens; she collaborated with him on gardens for many of his houses.

Walter Jekyll (son of Julia Hammersley) was a friend of the author, Robert Louis Stevenson; his name was borrowed for the title of his famous Jekyll & Hyde psychological thriller.

Major-General Frederick Hammersley (son of Frederick Hammersley), commanded the 11th Division at the landing at Sulva Bay (Gallipoli campaign)

Margaret Dulcibella Hammersley (daughter of Hugh Hammersley) was the mother of Francis D'Arcy Godolphin Osborne 12th and last Duke of Leeds, a close friend of the late Queen Mother, who was Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to the Holy See from 1936-1947 and who was one of the group led by Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty who helped conceal some 4000 escapees, both Allied soldiers and Jews, from the Nazis; 3925 survived the war. Their story was portrayed in the 1983 film 'The Scarlet & The Black'

alixaannencova

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
Gracious Grandduchessella, I had no idea that Iris had such an interesting and diverse maternal family! I have a particular interest in the Osbornes too! One of the rather more discreet and less well documented families amongst the ducal ranks! (Prabably because of their  comparable lack of lolly compared to many of their fellow 'peers'!) Anyway, I had no isea Gerturde Jekyll was a cousin! That is quite extraordinary! It just goes to show that marriage 'without', adds sugar as well as spice to gene pool. It certainly adds a melange of fascinating diversity to a family! The Baring marriage brought a whole raft of wonderful fillial connections that boast far greater retrospective impact of British culture than the mere style of an HRH or HH! Thanks you as ever Grandduchessella, my paws are splayed upon the ground in sheer respect to you for your time and endless generosity!

Michael II

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 07:00:08 PM »
Do any of our posters know the date in January 1930 the remains of the Duke and Duchess were translated from the mausoleum at Kew to the royal vault in Windsor?

Yseult

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
Hello!
I was wondering how I can´t find nothing but a very brief info about this german princess who was married into the Royal British Family...She was the wife, later the widow, of a prince of blood, and mother of three children who included Augusta princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Mary Adelaide of Teck. So, Augusta is the maternal grand-mother of queen Mary, an ancestor of George VI and Elizabeth II; but I can´t find a great info about her character and her life, and I haven´t seen a portrait of her...
Can anyone of you provides info and portraits of the duchess Augusta?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Yseult

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
By the way...
...reading about the Teck family, I have found this in Wikipedia about Francis of Teck:

On his early death, shortly before his sister's coronation as Queen Consort to George V, his will set a legal precedent when it was sealed, presumably to avoid scandal. The document remains a secret and subsequent royal wills have followed in this legal secrecy.

Anyone knows anything about this secret?

CHRISinUSA

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
Oh yes, this was discussed on another thread on the Tecks a while back.  In a nutshell, the prince was a notorious gambler and womanizer, who ran up huge debts and was rumored to have fathered a love child. 

In his will, the prince was said to have outraged the royals by leaving the family's jewels, known as the Cambridge emeralds, to a mistress, Ellen Constance, Countess of Kilmorey. Later, these gems were quietly bought back for Queen Mary to wear at the time of her husband's coronation.

Queen Mary feared a scandal in her coronation year should the will be published, and a compliant court agreed to hide his indiscretions.  That set the precedence of royal wills being sealed.

Michael II

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
I have been trying to locate pictures of them.  I find picture of their children and pictures of Adolphus as a  young man.  Pictures of them as a couple are very rare indeed. 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
I have some good ones, including of their wedding, I'll try to get them posted. You might want to scan some of the Queen Mary threads. Here's one I'd posted:

The Duke and Duchess of Teck with May, Dolly & Frank along with the GD and GDss of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (nee Augusta Cambridge). I think the others are George, Duke of Cambridge and the Dowager Duchess of Cambridge.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:02 PM »
Here's a few courtesy of Royal Netherlands

Here are some others I'd posted