Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > The Hohenzollern

Royal Hohenzollern - German Used?

<< < (2/3) > >>

HerrKaiser:

--- Quote ---
A letter from Viktoria Luise to her father - In English
--- End quote ---

Who do you suspect is "Auntie" that VL refers too? And who might be Au Wi?

Thanks!

bell_the_cat:

--- Quote ---
Who do you suspect is "Auntie" that VL refers too? And who might be Au Wi?

Thanks!
--- End quote ---

"Au Wi" is her brother August Wilhelm. As for "Auntie", could be anyone really - I don't think one of the Kaiser's sisters, though. Possibly one of Auguste Viktoria's?

Barbara of Hohenzollern:
I know a story about Emperor William I and his son, Frederick III of prussia. It is told in a book which 'goes' about the berlin speech. The generation of King Frederick William III spoke the Berlin tongue. In the next generation it was put down. William I only used the Berlin speech to start a joke. He said to his son, FrederickIII (I cannot write it in english): 'Ach Fritze, Du kennst mir doch'. as a funny reply. In only one generation the Berlin speech had come down and was no more a normal speech but a thing to laugh about.
So: They did speek high german.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy:
Very interesting!

Not a Hohenzollern per se, but Empress Auguste Victoria's artistic sister Feodora apparently used the local East Central German dialect of their native Silesia in dialogues in her peasant novel "Hahn Berta". I  don't know if she used the Low Saxon dialect of Holstein in her second (also folk-themed) novel "Durch den Nebel", which takes places on the Baltic coast of her ancestral Holstein and BTW also deals with the whole Danish-German nationality issue. (Unsurprisingly Feodora is pro-German: Up ewig ungedelt, as the saying goes in Low German!) I haven't read any of the books, but I am quite tempted to.

Ook in Noorwegen hewwen we veele Köninge gehewt de Platt (veel better als Noorwegs!) gesnackt hewwen: Christian I (uut Ollnborg), Hans, Christian II, Frederik I, Christian III, Frederik II en Christian IV. Naa hem hewwen se Hoogdüüts benutten, inallefall wenn se geschrieven hewwen. :-)

=
Also in Norway we have had many Kings who spoke Low German (much better than Norwegian!): Christian I (from Oldenburg), Hans, Christian II, Frederik, Christian III, Frederik II en Christian IV. After him they used High German, at least in writing.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy:

--- Quote from: bell_the_cat on January 12, 2006, 02:08:47 AM ---As for "Auntie", could be anyone really - I don't think one of the Kaiser's sisters, though. Possibly one of Auguste Viktoria's?
--- End quote ---
Speaking of Feodora, that aunt might very well be her, as she lived at the Crown Estate of Bornstedt (where she entertained a lot of fellow artists), just to the north of the Castle of Lindstedt (both on the outskirts of Potsdam) where the letter is dated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version