Author Topic: If Henry VIII had another child . . .  (Read 8356 times)

RussMan

Re: If Henry VIII had another child . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 04:26:58 PM »
Yes, very true. In fact, when Henry died, Mary invited Elizabeth to live with her! But the girl wanted to stay with Katherine Parr, understandably . . .

Yes, yall are right. They did get along okay, i guess. I just keep thinking back to mary's suspicion of Elizabeth, and the rumors that she was to stage a revolt against Mary. Wasn't Elizabeth put in the Tower for a while anyway?  ???

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 04:31:45 PM »
Yes, for a month or two I think - the most terrifying time of her life. She famously scratched 'Much suspected of me: Nothing proved can be' into a window in the Tower . . .
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 11:15:45 AM »
If he had another child who lived to adulthood, then history would have been different of course. I think any child would have raised protestant, despite the inclinations of the mother in any religious direction. It woudn't have mattered. Since the child was raised that way, most likely they would have stayed that way. The choice would have been whether they were radical like Edward, or more moderate like Elizabeth. If a daughter, they might not have come to the throne, it's hard to say. If a son say by Anne of Cleves or Katherine Parr, he would have suceeded, given that males came first. Elizabeth coudn't have debated that at all.

I think Henry might have questioned the legitimacy of any child of Katherine Howard's. He would not have allowed a possible bastard son to suceed him, and it was harder in those days to prove paternity. It is an interesting debate. I think he did know Anne of Cleves in a intimate way, because he would have not had such an aversion to her otherwise at all. He would have wanted to see how things went, and he did have time to see how things went, when he decided their marriage was over.