Author Topic: New Tudor series  (Read 150458 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
New Tudor series
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
I hope this hasn't been posted--I'm a 'newbie' to this section and I did a quick look and didn't see anything.

Anyway, I was reading the paper today and it was announced that Showtime (a cable channel here in the US) will be airing a series, The Tudors. It will detail the early manhood of Henry VIII. The star will be Irish actor (and serious cutie) Jonathan Rhys-Myers (I'm sure I misspelled that since I don't have the article in front of me) from Bend It Like Beckham, the new Woody Allen film Match Point and a Golden Globe winner for the US miniseries Elvis.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
Re: New Tudor series
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:25:36 PM »
he played philip august in the hallmark production of 'the lion in winter'... doesn't look much like a henry 8th to me...   :-/... maybe henry 7th :P
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Lorelei_Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:04:48 PM »
Hmmm ... Elvis and Henry VIII ... well, they were both handsome in their youth and corpulent in old age ... they were both musical ... and they were both The King!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:16:23 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Oh, that was brilliant Lorelei.  ;D ;D

Thanks for this GDella.  ;) I heard about it a few days ago. When will it be aired in the UK and Ireland? Does anyone know?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
I was reading the paper today and it was announced that Showtime (a cable channel here in the US) will be airing a series, The Tudors. It will detail the early manhood of Henry VIII. The star will be Irish actor (and serious cutie) Jonathan Rhys-Myers (I'm sure I misspelled that since I don't have the article in front of me) from Bend It Like Beckham, the new Woody Allen film Match Point and a Golden Globe winner for the US miniseries Elvis.

Thanks, GDella! I found something about this online:

Showtime rooting for Tudor tale
Pilot centers on young King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn

By DENISE MARTIN

Showtime is teaming with feature scribe Michael Hirst ("Elizabeth"), Working Title Films and Ben Silverman's Reveille on a drama series centered on the Tudor dynasty.

Cabler has made a script commitment to the project, which marks Hirst's first foray into television.

Pilot episode centers on a young King Henry VIII in his first encounter with Anne Boleyn (future mother of Queen Elizabeth I), who will soon turn his world upside down.

Showtime entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt described the pivotal point in Henry's life as "an interesting bubbling cauldron in history."

"Henry was the most powerful man on the throne, and from where he takes off, he's barely a man," he said. Much like Hirst's rendering of "Elizabeth," Greenblatt added, the skein won't be a typical historical costume drama.

"It'll be edgy and vicious. We won't be doing the Henry most of us know, the middle-aged fat king sitting at a table and eating a drumstick," exec said. "Michael specializes in taking these historical figures and bringing them alive."

Showtime and Working Title are also developing the longform project "Babycakes," based on a novel in Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" series.

Hirst is currently penning the script for "The Golden Age," a sequel to "Elizabeth" for helmer Shekhar Kapur.

Silverman recently wrapped production on the NBC hidden-camera skein "Hoax" (Daily Variety, Oct. 15).

My cousin used to work for Showtime until last year, so I can ask her if she can find out more about this.

H

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Lorelei_Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the further information, Helen!  

Unfortunately it doesn't sound as though the series will be very historically accurate.  I loved "Elizabeth" because of Cate Blanchett's performance, which I thought had the ring of emotional truth.  But the writers certainly did take liberties with the historical record!

I wonder who will play Anne.  Keira Knightley might be good ... she doesn't quite look the part, but I can't think of any young actress who does.  Worst case scenario:  Jessica Simpson.  

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 02:49:59 PM »
NO No NO Not Keira Knightly :P
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
<big sigh> Why do all women HATE Keira??  ??? ;D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 04:35:07 PM »
I don't hate her PL, I just think Anne Boleyn deserves an Actress ;D to portray her. What about Rachel Weisz (Sp) ;)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 04:36:34 PM »
Oooh, I like Rachel, I'll let you away with that one.  ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »
Ta very much guv'nor :-*

Offline Lorelei_Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
Hey, I thought Keira was good in the new "Pride and Prejudice" ... but you're right, Rachel Weicz is a better pick.  She's lovely and she can certainly act.  

palatine

New Showtime series about the Tudors
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 08:49:49 AM »
Michael Hirst, who wrote the screenplay for the film "Elizabeth", will act as the executive producer for the series.

An article from Showtime about it:

http://www.sho.com/site/announcements/060508tudors.do

A link to the relevant IMDB page, which lists other members of the cast:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758790/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by palatine »

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Re: New Showtime series about the Tudors
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 09:14:53 AM »
Drool, ooooh Sam Neill as Wolsey.....what a hunk. :-* Guess this is on in the US and I hope we in the UK get to see it. Apart from Sam, I don't recognise any of the other names

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: New Showtime series about the Tudors
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
I am already somewhat skeptical about this, even just for the fact that Michael Hirst is the creator of that horrible "Elizabeth"! I hope he doesn't do another number on the Tudors... But I will try to give this the benefit of the doubt. And I would never have imagined of Natalie Dormer as  Anne Boleyn - I can't think of anyone who looks less than Anne Boleyn! Hopefully she is a good enough actor to pull this off...  

BTW, there is already a thread about the Showtime Tudor series, somewhere under this topic...