Author Topic: New Tudor series  (Read 150434 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: New Showtime series about the Tudors
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
I watched the first show of the 2nd season last night... Is it my imagination, or is the show getting less campy? You could almost take that one seriously... Not quite but almost... Has anyone seen it yet? I have two more episodes which were recorded for me, so I will try to watch them this week.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
Give it time --- Jonathan is so miscast that it is only a matter of episodes before he flubs up. Don't the costumes drive you crazy? What is with the Elizabethan ruffs on everyone?
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 02, 2008, 09:04:06 AM »
Yes, what's with the Elizabethan collars? That's the least of the problems of course, but very distracting...

Also, did they have violins in the 16th century? They have Mark Smeaton constantly playing the violin, even instructing Anne Boleyn on it. Is this instead of the virginals??

The language still leaves a lot to be desired, especially from the Duke of Suffolk (he of the "she and me" fame)... I mean he referred to Anne Boleyn as a "b-tch", several times in one episode, I believe....

I have to say, in the last few episodes (I watched the subsequent 3 last night), they added a few historically accurate tidbits - unimportant ones of course- but obviously they did their homework. For instance, they had Anne Boleyn find the prophecy cards on the table, with the queen's head cut off. I think that was accurate, except it was in a book not with cards... They also had her make a comment to Wyatt about hankering for apples...

But what's with that Kennedy-esque scene where Anne Boleyn was a target for a shooter? That was weird. And how did Mary Tudor all over sudden become an adult? A few episodes ago she was a small child...  And why was Ann referred to as "Lady Ann" or "Marquise" even after she was married to Henry, until after her coronation, while everyone already knew they married?

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 02, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
Well, by 1533 Mary was 17, so . . . of course, Henry VIII was 41 or so, and look at Jonathan. Maybe they gave Mary some of the years they have obviously taken off Henry (I do love the mustache and beard he's sporting --- you can really see the resemblance to the historical Henry). Mark Smeaton was supposed to have been a lute-player, I think, although I do remember one occasion where Anne summoned him to play the virginals in her room. Since most authorities think that the violin as we know it today wasn't invented until at least 1560, he would have been AMAZINGLY prescient to have taught her how to play one, but maybe it happened. Someone figured out that Elizabethan collars were coming, after all.

Has Jane Seymour arrived yet? I'm holding out for Pamela Andersen in the role. Come on, she's a blonde.

Simon

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2008, 12:50:08 PM »
Has Jane Seymour arrived yet? I'm holding out for Pamela Andersen in the role. Come on, she's a blonde.

I'm leaning more towards Paris Hilton... 

Mark Smeaton was supposed to have been a lute-player... 

Yes, that's right, he was a lute player. Why couldn't have just had him play the lute? Maybe they couldn't find a lute... Or maybe the producers were afraid to get the audience confused (kind of like with king of France - king of Portugal)...

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 09, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »
Okay, so I watched this week's episode (kill me --- it was 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep, and for some reason we now get 135 Showtime Channels) and I have a few questions:

(1) is that supposed to be Catherine Willoughy as the Duchess of Suffolk? For that matter, is that hunka-hunka burnin' love supposed to be Charles Brandon? Talk about upgrades. It's like the biopics of teeny little Cole Porter, where he has been played by Cary Grant or Kevin Kline.

(2) why are they all wearing Elizabethan ruffs?  I am obsessed with this.

(3) I did like the scene where Mary, on her knees praying some Catholic stuff (natch), got up and picked up the squalling Princess Elizabeth because they were alone in the room. I kept hoping that she would toss the baby out a window or something. Unbelievable plot twist!

(4) Ahem. I think it is now clear why Jane Boleyn was so ticked at George. Holy gratuitous nudity, Batman!

(5) Ditto on the French Admiral's niece. Those French, they're sex ka-ray-zee.

(6) Ditto cubed on Anne's supposed assassination. What the hell was that all about?

And I noticed a flash of Jane Seymour in upcoming scenes. Alas, not Pam. Not Paris. Although I don't see how we could be expected to believe that someone could fall in love with Paris Hilton, frankly.

Simon

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2008, 07:28:34 PM »
I noticed a flash of Jane Seymour in upcoming scenes.

I thought it would take another 8 seasons to get to Jane, but I guess the producers figured the audience is getting bored with Anne... At this pace we could get to Elizabeth and Mary of Scots very soon... Oh wait, I'm not sure if Mary of Scots will exist in this version of history...

(1) is that supposed to be Catherine Willoughy as the Duchess of Suffolk? For that matter, is that hunka-hunka burnin' love supposed to be Charles Brandon?

Yes and yes...

(2) why are they all wearing Elizabethan ruffs?  I am obsessed with this.

Because they're pretty...?

(6) Ditto cubed on Anne's supposed assassination. What the hell was that all about?

Do you mean the Kennedy-esque shooting scene at the coronation or was there another assasination attempt?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:34:26 PM by Helen_A »

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »
In the assassination scene last week, Anne was walking through a crowded court chamber after Henry tossed her aside as she attempted to get him to confess to having a harem (this was shortly after Showtime provided a fantasy sequence of Henry with said harem, all of whom seemed to sport 16th century breast implants). Anne was clearly miffed because her guy-king was dissing her. There was a gloomy Catholic (naturally; someone should alert the Catholic League to this show, we're like the Tudor version of  al-Qaeda) in the crowd, and in the sequence he stepped forward and in slow motion drove a dagger into her. Lots of lingering blood shots, she crashed to the floor, and then it was all revealed to be a bad Catholic dream sequence. Which beats it being presented as historical truth, but come on.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »
Somehow I am not the least bit surprised...

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2008, 05:37:29 PM »
In the assassination scene last week, Anne was walking through a crowded court chamber after Henry tossed her aside as she attempted to get him to confess to having a harem (this was shortly after Showtime provided a fantasy sequence of Henry with said harem, all of whom seemed to sport 16th century breast implants). Anne was clearly miffed because her guy-king was dissing her. There was a gloomy Catholic (naturally; someone should alert the Catholic League to this show, we're like the Tudor version of  al-Qaeda) in the crowd, and in the sequence he stepped forward and in slow motion drove a dagger into her. Lots of lingering blood shots, she crashed to the floor, and then it was all revealed to be a bad Catholic dream sequence. Which beats it being presented as historical truth, but come on.

Harem? Oh my...
And the whole erotic theme of a harem is myth. I read somewhere that life was more boring than intriguing behind the veil.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »
Okay, so I watched most of the last episode of the second season because I wanted to get a good look at the actress playing Jane Seymour. Very pretty, though not as much as Jonathan. Of course, no one is, but still.

I did enjoy the fact that the Earl of Wiltshire was apparently freed from the Tower and told "walk yourself out". Presumably he locked the door behind him as he left.

Anne's actual death was well-played (I was dreading a Helena Bonham Carter "whoops, there goes the head!" moment), but it was very effective --- especially after her women (dressed like Edwardian maids,  for some reason) removed her earrings and necklace.

And there is an answer to the "when will Jonathan get fat?" debate. He plunged into a baroque fountain after proclaiming it the Fountain of Youth. Ponce de Leon, eat your heart out. So I suppose he will remain comely through Catherine Parr.

Did anyone else think that the infant Elizabeth, who wasn't three when her mother died, was being played by what looked like a thirty year-old midget?

2009 cannot arrive fast enough.

Simon

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 08, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Am I imagining this or are they portraying Mark Smeaton as George Boleyn's love interest??

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
If they are, I must say: I am not the least bit surprised.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 14, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »
Anyone finish watching the entire 2nd season? A friend of mine recorded it for me, but the last 2 episodes didn't come out :-(.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 26, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
It was pretty cool. Anne of Cleves, played by Brigitte Nielsen, fights her way into England and kills Jane Seymour with her bare hands. No, wait. She kills her with ninja stars. Much more true to the period. She and Thomas Cromwell are revealed to be vampires, the last remnants of a blood cult that began in ancient Egypt. They congratulate themselves upon the success of their vampire plot, little realizing that they are being overheard by Thomas and Edward Seymour, who are actually werewolves belonging to the cult that has opposed the evil vampires for all of these centuries. The Seymours and Anne/Cromwell battle it out on the roof of Hampton Palace during a banquet at which Henry is seduced by Katherine Howard, who is actually a time traveler from the 34th century, sent back in time to discover the secret of Henry's incredible youthfulness. The Seymours manage to behead Thomas Cromwell (veracity! Everywhere you go, historical veracity!), and Anne accepts her defeat and retires to the countryside, where she and Mary Boleyn, the Other Vampire Girl, found Hogwarts. Meanwhile, Katherine has succeeded in seducing Henry VIII, and they are married. But at the wedding a mysterious woman arrives to stop the ceremony. She claims to be Anne Bolyen, and to have been spirited out of the execution in the Tower by a compassionate guard when her head was only half-off. She has now returned, determined to claim her inheritance as a former Queen of England.

I think Voldemort makes his first appearance in Season 3. I, for one, am very excited.