Author Topic: Elizabeth I marriage?  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
Elizabeth I marriage?
« on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:17 PM »

Why didn't Elizabeth I ever marry?

Was she afraid of loosing real power?

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Elizabeth I marriage?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 05:47:26 PM »
Hi Bernardino.  :)

This has been discussed in a few theads. There are different opinions:

*As you say, marriage would possibly mean relinquishing some power, and as Elizabeth waited so long to get it, she didn't want to lose it.

*Her hand in marriage was her most valuable card on the diplomatic bargaining table - a card that once played, lost it's value.

*Some have speculated that Elizabeth had a horror of marriage physchological in origin, related to her mother's execution, and that of Katherine Howard, and possibly also the deaths of Jane Seymour and Katherine Parr in childbirth.

*It was hard to pick a suitor that pleased everyone. The public didn't want a Catholic prince, and there was a fear that England would be dragged into foreign conflicts. That said, marrying and Englishman would cause factions to develop and court and would likely cause jealousy.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:12:18 PM »
elizabeth had a horror of making any kind of important choice, not just marriage. marriage was important not just from the 'i have to spend the rest of my life with this person' point of view (which to me does not seem a trifle) but also from the 'this man will be the husband of the queen' point of view.

let's think of what could happen if she married:

1. marry an englishman and therefor rise his faction to power
2. marry a foreigner and get a permanent alliance with any country that at some point might be inconvenient in the very fragile state of the alliances of those times
3.live with someone for the rest of her life, someone that maybe she won't feel the same forever for.
4. lose an important trump card on the diplomatic treaties table
5. give someone some influence and power that she was not willing to share...

i'm pretty sure that the only person that every came close was the earl of leicester because she loved him. but he lost the race when his wife died. and that was it.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:24:45 PM »
I saw in a TV documentary that King Erik XIV of Sweden wanted to marry her (by force if it was necessary) and that he even sent a ship to England, but a storm ruined his plans...

Is this true?

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 12:44:54 PM »
I know he was a suitor, but I never heard that story!  :o
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »
Was he a little...ahem, simple minded?
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
Was he a little...ahem, simple minded?

He had "bought the farm"! ;D
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »
There were many reasons she never married, and it has to be judged that she made the wisest choice for herself and her country, in my opinion, because many things could go wrong if she chose someone unwisely. Her sister's marriage showed her that, and she was well aware of the dangers. Prince Lieven's post does a good job sumning up all the historical reasons for never marrying, that are documented. In the end, she accomplished alot without a husband, and so set a good example of what Queens could do outside of just being consorts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »

Offline Tsarina_Liz

• Knyaz
  • Existence is not a predicate.  - Kant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 01:29:56 PM »
I saw in a TV documentary that King Erik XIV of Sweden wanted to marry her (by force if it was necessary) and that he even sent a ship to England, but a storm ruined his plans...

Is this true?

I believe he attempted numerous jaunts to England, even sending his brother over, but something always seemed to happen.  Of course, Elizabeth was quite relieved.  He was quite a persistent fellow and nothing she said every really managed to deter him.
Hindsight is 20/20.  When the myopic haze of of the present is lifted by the march of time we see it clearly as the past.  Sociology, psychology, anthropology.  They are all means of understanding that which came before.  History cannot stand alone.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »
Yes, I am sure she was relieved.. ;)

Offline Lady_Aurora

• Everything is merely a dream...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 01:51:45 PM »
He wasn't the only one though.  There were tons of suitors and many were also very... excited about possibly marrying Elizabeth.  I wouldn't blame them though... she was a queen and any man that married her would (so they thought) become king and the most powerful man in England.  One such thing she wanted to avoid.  She never would have married her sweet Robin (at least i don't think she would have).  even though she might have loved him she loved her country (or her power...however you want to read into that) a great deal more.  she had to have known what was at stake.  

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
She did know what was at stake, and that is what, besides many complex reasons you could state, could be the most legitimate reason she never married. She well remembered her sister Mary I, and Philip of Spain her husband.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »

Offline Tsarina_Liz

• Knyaz
  • Existence is not a predicate.  - Kant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »
elizabeth had a horror of making any kind of important choice, not just marriage. marriage was important not just from the 'i have to spend the rest of my life with this person' point of view (which to me does not seem a trifle) but also from the 'this man will be the husband of the queen' point of view.

let's think of what could happen if she married:

1. marry an englishman and therefor rise his faction to power
2. marry a foreigner and get a permanent alliance with any country that at some point might be inconvenient in the very fragile state of the alliances of those times
3.live with someone for the rest of her life, someone that maybe she won't feel the same forever for.
4. lose an important trump card on the diplomatic treaties table
5. give someone some influence and power that she was not willing to share...

i'm pretty sure that the only person that every came close was the earl of leicester because she loved him. but he lost the race when his wife died. and that was it.

Okay, using these as a starting points and knowing what little I do about the marriage market at the time I can think of no man anywhere in Europe that Elizabeth could have married successfully (I do not think, also, that love should be a considered qualification).  Can any one else?
Hindsight is 20/20.  When the myopic haze of of the present is lifted by the march of time we see it clearly as the past.  Sociology, psychology, anthropology.  They are all means of understanding that which came before.  History cannot stand alone.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 02:15:00 AM »
last week i saw two movies about elizabeth. the cate blanchett one and the one with jeremy irons... in both of them (although in different views) the duke of anjou was presented as a serious contender, like she actually considered marrying him. unfortunatly i don't know much about it... anyone can help? was it just another game to play with france or was it really a serious deal?
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya