Author Topic: Peter II of Yugoslavia & Queen Alexandra (nee Greece)  (Read 80456 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Peter II of Yugoslavia & Queen Alexandra (nee Greece)
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 06:17:09 AM »
Well,I think that she was "quilty" for those kind of relations.or her mother anyway...because of those succession rights...

But,I think she was in good terms with Prince Phillipp and most likely now Queen Elisabeth II...she was known at that time as "cousin Sandra"...she even wrote a book about Prince Phillipp...but I think we scould wait someone who knows much more...

As both were QVd,I think Marlene would know much better about those relations...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »
Queen Marie was not thrilled with the idea of Peter's marriage.    Alexandra played with Philip and King Michael as children, but Alexandra fell out with Philip after she wrote (ghost-written) the bio of Philip. The Greek royal family was in exile at the time of the marriage - and the families went their separate ways.  Aspasia had some money that she inherited from Alexander, and she came from a comfortable lifestyle. 
Crown Prince Alexander has certaiinly maintained contacts with his Greek cousin - and as his parents were utterlly dysfunctional (and his mother mentally unstable), he was raised by Aspasia - she took control of his life when his parents were unable to care for him.

Goodness me, she was so beautiful! The new photos are simply wonderful... thank you Marc and Remi both!

I have always been curious as to Alexandra's position within the GRF before her marriage? How did the family respond to the quasi-defacto Princess Alexandra marrying Peter and thereafter when she became an HM, goodness the family must have had to adjusted its view significantly toward Alexandra? The dynamics of her life were amazing. Was she so very much isolated/marginalized within the GRF until she nabbed Peter, after which 'views' had to change about her status and the courtesies she could subsequently command?

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »
Who stayed in contact with Alexandra throughout the years she was separated from Peter and a bit "ignored" by her other cousins...?

Did she have any friends among royals or nobles?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »

Her mother.   She had limited contact with her son, for example

But she spent a lot of time in institutions.  She made several suicide attempts

Who stayed in contact with Alexandra throughout the years she was separated from Peter and a bit "ignored" by her other cousins...?

Did she have any friends among royals or nobles?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »
Goodness me, she was so beautiful! The new photos are simply wonderful... thank you Marc and Remi both!

I have always been curious as to Alexandra's position within the GRF before her marriage? How did the family respond to the quasi-defacto Princess Alexandra marrying Peter and thereafter when she became an HM, goodness the family must have had to adjusted its view significantly toward Alexandra? The dynamics of her life were amazing. Was she so very much isolated/marginalized within the GRF until she nabbed Peter, after which 'views' had to change about her status and the courtesies she could subsequently command?

Her uncle King George II and cousin Marina, Duchess of Kent (both in England during this time period) were present at the wedding.

Part of Time magazine's write-up of the wedding:

"The King Makes a Choice. It had happened suddenly. Only the day before one of Peter's secretaries was certain there would be no ceremony yet. Everyone thought that the King and Princess, engaged last summer, would not be married until after the war and the end of their peoples' suffering. Royalist Serbs shook their heads over Peter's impatient ardor. They remembered the dynasty's unwritten law: while the country is held by an enemy, the ruler must stay in mourning. Peter I had imposed the rule in World War I; he had marched with his Serb troops into exile, observed the ritual of grief, not even shaving, until the day of liberation. Serb émigrés, already uneasy lest Peter II throw in his lot with Tito, now feared that he would further shake his standing among those still loyal to him in the faction-split homeland."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:33:28 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »
Time

June 4 1951

A Manhattan public relations firm proudly announced that it had hired some new help: exiled King Peter of Yugoslavia, 27, and his wife Queen Alexandra, 30, who will be "available for consultant services and public appearances for a limited number of prestige clients." One of the King's first tasks: to promote a snappy foreign sports car. The Queen will try her hand at designing some dresses.

Jan. 10, 1955

"After about 15 months of separation and wrangling over divorce terms, Yugoslavia's jobless ex-King Peter, 31, and his wife, Princess Alexandra, 33, suddenly kissed and made up. Peter headed for the Swiss mountain resort of Gstaad for a surprise reunion with Alexandra and their son, Prince Alexander, 9. Reported a friend who saw their delayed meeting: "They just fell into each other's arms un der the Christmas tree, and they have been like lovers ever since." But there was a small blight on their new-found bliss. Muttered Peter uneasily: "We have no money at all." "
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »

That reunion did not last very long

Time

June 4 1951

A Manhattan public relations firm proudly announced that it had hired some new help: exiled King Peter of Yugoslavia, 27, and his wife Queen Alexandra, 30, who will be "available for consultant services and public appearances for a limited number of prestige clients." One of the King's first tasks: to promote a snappy foreign sports car. The Queen will try her hand at designing some dresses.

Jan. 10, 1955

"After about 15 months of separation and wrangling over divorce terms, Yugoslavia's jobless ex-King Peter, 31, and his wife, Princess Alexandra, 33, suddenly kissed and made up. Peter headed for the Swiss mountain resort of Gstaad for a surprise reunion with Alexandra and their son, Prince Alexander, 9. Reported a friend who saw their delayed meeting: "They just fell into each other's arms un der the Christmas tree, and they have been like lovers ever since." But there was a small blight on their new-found bliss. Muttered Peter uneasily: "We have no money at all." "

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
Sorry for lower quality:

-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 07:06:22 AM »
Young Peter II:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:11:43 AM by nena »

alixaannencova

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »
Thank you all for all the piccies and the information about Alexandra. She sounds such a complex and troubled woman. Is one right when one hears that both she and Peter had problems with alcohol? I thought I read somewhere else on another thread perhaps, that Peter drank too much too.

Considering scientists have been saying on/off for a while that alcoholism can be related to genetics, just like other 'diseases' and conditions, I was curious about QVD in this instance. Please note that I do not know if these genetic links have been proven...only that I have read about them/heard about them in the past and am in no way an expert in this field! 

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
Yes, Peter drank a lot, and was nostalgic to his country.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »
Queen Alexandra and her husband :

Alexandra with Peter and their son Alexander :

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:14:54 AM by KarlandZita »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
I don't think there would be a genetic link ...Alexandra tried to kill herself several times.  King Peter was the drinker - a real serious problem - which he brought on himself.  He did not know how to cope with the basic life.  In fact, he died following a liver transplant.

Thank you all for all the piccies and the information about Alexandra. She sounds such a complex and troubled woman. Is one right when one hears that both she and Peter had problems with alcohol? I thought I read somewhere else on another thread perhaps, that Peter drank too much too.

Considering scientists have been saying on/off for a while that alcoholism can be related to genetics, just like other 'diseases' and conditions, I was curious about QVD in this instance. Please note that I do not know if these genetic links have been proven...only that I have read about them/heard about them in the past and am in no way an expert in this field! 

Offline Princess Susan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38:53 AM »

Peter II. in 1934, when he was 11 years old.

Aleksandar B Obrenovic

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »
Nena, the picture you show fron svetski rat is not King Peter, the uniform of the officer is from engineeringm and king Peter was from the air Force, I have a similar picture of the officer and the same horse.

Regards

Aleksandar