Author Topic: Russian Films Not of Royalty or the Romanovs  (Read 9673 times)

Alexey

Russian Films Not of Royalty or the Romanovs
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:22:41 PM »
 Is anyone interested in talking about Russian Cinema?
If you are, what are your favorite movies? actors? directors?
My favorites:
comedies: Ordinary miracle,
Prisoner of the Caucasus, or Shurik's New Adventures
The Diamond Arm, Ivan Vasilievich changes his occupation,
Pokrov Gates, The Very Same Munhgauzen, Kin-Dza-Dza,
Twelve Chairs,
Hello, I am your aunt!
Gentlemen of luck,
Operation Y and Shurik's Other Adventures

dramas:
Solaris, Moscow does not Believe in Tears, The Mirror,
At Home Among Strangers, a Stranger Among his own
The Star of Fascinating Happiness,
Prisoner of the Mountains, The Thief, The Lover

Romance: Ordinary miracle, Irony of fate or with light steam!,
A Railway Station for Two, Moscow does not Believe in Tears,
A Cruel Romance, Business romance, I am Walking Along Moscow,
Wizards, Truffaldino from Bergamo

Actors:
Aleksandr Abdulov, Mikhail Boyarsky, Rolan Bykov,
Andrey Mironov, Andrei Myagkov, Evgeniya Simonova

Directors:
Mark Zakharov, Eldar Ryazanov, Leonid Gaidai, Georgi Daneliya

War: Alexander Nevsky,  Ballad of a Soldier, War,
Prisoner of the Mountains, Father of The Soldier,
100 Days Before The Command, Torpedo Bombers

Action: White Sun of the Desert, Brother

Horror: Viy or Spirit of Evil

History: Andrei Rublev, The Battleship Potemkin,
War and Peace, Ivan the Terrible, October, Russian Ark,
Strike, Cold Summer of 1953, Tchaikovsky

Musical Comedy or Costume Drama:
D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers, Truffaldino from Bergamo,
Naval Cadets, Forward!

Sci-Fi: Solaris, Stalker, Kin-Dza-Dza,
Professor Dowell's Testament, Amphibian Man, Night Watch

Animation: Alice in Wonderland, The Secret of the Third Planet,
Adventures of captain Vrungel, Treasure Island,
Musicians of Bremen, Mowgli
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:24:17 PM by Alixz »

Sunny

Re: Russian Films
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 10:59:39 PM »
Yes, yes, yes, Nikita Mikhalkov, and anything with Oleg Menshikov.
In the good news department: Nikita Mikhalkov is making "Burnt by the Sun - 2".

Sunny

Dashkova

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »
I love all the above. Ballad of a Soldier makes me sob every time I see it, and Moscow Does not Believe in Tears is one of my all time fav chick flicks...however,

I also LOVE the old silents.  My favorite is "Mr. West's Amazing Adventure in the Land of the Bolsheviks"

and..."Girl With a Hatbox" and "Bed and Sofa"

Also, the Georgian film "Repentance" is fabulous and oh, can't forget "The Cranes are Flying" (another tear-jerker).

Oh! And Banderchuk's "War and Peace" is irresistable and PERFECTLY adapted to screen.

I think I could go on quite a while on this subject! :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Dashkova »

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 11:58:41 AM »
Mikhailkov also did an undergrounnd film about his daughter who played his child in Burnt by the Sun.  It was done secretly with hand-held camera and sound.  It's a marvelous testament to his determination, artistry and love for his daughter.  I think it was called "Anna" or something close to that.

The film is called Anna, and it's not the girl who played in Burnt by the sun (Nadia Mikhalova), but his other daughter Anna... He did this movie between 1980 and 1991.

Nadia Mikhalova:

Anna:

Anna is playing in(I don't know the english name) Le barbier de Sibérie. She plays Duniasha:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:21:53 PM by Alixz »

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 12:37:29 PM »
You're welcome, Elizaveta! ;)
and searching for pictures of the 2 daughters, I discover that Anna playing in the "Barbier"! I didn't recognize her before! :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 12:56:05 PM »
some pictures of my favorite movies:
Ivan the Terrible with N. Cherkasov by Eisenstein (I'm always "bluffed" by Cherkassov! :D)

The same in Alexander Nevski:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 01:02:25 PM »
The Barber of Siberia:

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 01:07:58 PM »
Prisoner of the mountains

Sunny

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 03:47:25 PM »
Lisa, a big bouquet for the pictures and info...had no idea Anna played Daniasha...so very touching in the final scenes of "The Barber of Siberia". The scene in which Mikhalkov portrays Alexander lll, at the cadets graduation is a pip  :) Another Mikhalkov film that I enjoyed was, "Oblomov"... Will always be awed by  "Andrei Rublev".

Sunny

Dashkova

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »
I stand corrected.  Thanks.   The little girl in "Burnt" has got to be the most appealing child ever to appear on film.  E

I agree. I would also add to the "most appealing" list the little boy who played the title role in "Kolya" (ok, not Russian, but close!)  A stunning and incredibly moving performance. I just wanted to pick him up and hug him! Such a darling child. :)

Offline AnBhanfhaidh

• Bozhe Tsarya Khrani!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 11:39:26 AM »
It's funny (odd) discovering this thread. I was just not long ago thinking about Andrei Rublev and wishing I could see it again. Terrific movie!

Could some one give me some more information on "The Barber of Siberia". I hate to admit that I have never heard of it, but from the pictures posted, it looks absolutely fascinating (what are those guys doing - a chorus line dance???).  Could you give the particulars, such as when the film was made, etc. I can always search the net, but you all seem already to be so well informed!
CMTH  (Tanya)

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 02:31:35 PM »
You only have to visit The Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Here you will find almost everything on new& old movies and a lot more. Great side.

This link will give you direct info on the Barber of Siberia: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120125/

Anna

Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Sunny

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 02:32:20 PM »
AnBhanfhaidh,

Barber of Siberia, is a film that was greeted by such mixed reviews, one had to wonder if the reviewers saw the same movie.  Personally, I enjoyed it...not only because I would walk several miles to see Mikhalkov, and Menchikov in action  ;).

It is by turns almost slapstick funny, and terribly sad, with much of the dialog in English. Most of "Barber" takes place in 1885, with a bit in 1905.

I don't think it ever found a US distributor, but is available as a DVD. Have added a synopsis from Columbus films:

"Set in turn of the century Russia, a passionate and epic love story about lost love, betrayal and the human spirit.
1905, Jane Callaghan a once beautiful American writes to her son, a cadet at the famous West Point military academy.  Her memories take us back 20 years to when she arrived in Russia to assist Douglas McCracken, an obsessive engineer who needs the Grand Duke's patronage to sponsor his invention--a massive machine to harvest the forests of Siberia.

On her travels, she meets two men who will change her life forever.  A handsome young cadet, Andrey Tolstoy, with whom she shares a fondness of opera, and the powerful General Radlov who is spellbound by her beauty.  The General wants her hand in marriage, and she knows she can use him to gain access to the Grand Duke.

Tolstoy and Radlov vie for the love of the woman with whom they are obsessed.  She confides a deep secret to Tolstoy, promises to marry him, and together they spend a passionate night of love.  But later he overhears Jane denying her interest in him to the General.  Distraught, Tolstoy attacks the General who arrests his young rival on false charges and banishes him to Siberia.

Jane never gives up hope of finding Tolstoy, her true love.  Years later, although by now married to McCracken, she returns to Russia to discover where he lives in Siberia.  She goes to his home, a barber's shop, where she finds a spirit and happiness that leave her with the knowledge that the one thing she still has is her secret, which will forever tie her and her son to the huge mysterious country. "

Sunny
p.s. In the scene you mention, the cadets are playing around, as they complete the job of polishing a floor.

Offline AnBhanfhaidh

• Bozhe Tsarya Khrani!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 02:47:56 PM »
See, this is why this forum rocks. With Sunny's terrific description and Anna's link, instant gratification. You all are the best!!
CMTH  (Tanya)

Sunny

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 03:05:44 PM »
AnBhanfhaidh, the pleasure is mine  :) Please let us know what you think of the movie, when you see it.

Sunny