Author Topic: Torino Olimpic  (Read 20263 times)

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Torino Olimpic
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
I forgot Elene Gedevanishvili, she was absolutely GREAT!! Like at Europeans. Hope she have a solid free as well!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2006, 01:58:37 AM »
Katia - I agree with you about Elene and your Finnish girls!  I love Susanna and Kiira!  I hope they do really well in the free skate on Thursday; they're a joy to watch. :)

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2006, 04:35:32 AM »
Thank you Lanie! :) I'm waiting to see good performances from Susanna and Kiira in the free, too!

I was wrong about Elena Sokolova, she is 18th, not held up at all. Maybe I was too tired when I was watching the competition- it lasted until 00.30 here! What a pity she collapsed like that! She has done so well lately, and now - at the most important competition - she had such an awful time!  :(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2006, 08:16:06 AM »
I am still hoping Irina will win, although I admit that Sasha skated better- this time. But Irina is mature, sophisticated, has such energy in her programs, and is a very athletic skater. Her short program is perfect for her, as the commentators said. She just lights up the ice with her prescence. I have always enjoyed watching her since she first came onto the scene. Sasha Cohen gave might well be the best performance that I have seen of hers, but for some reason she has never been much of a favorite of mine. As for Kimmie, I admire her skating, and she is the youngest, and most technically talented. Whenever I see her skate, I wonder if the record of the olympic champion being an American teenager will continue, and , if so, Kimmie is the one. I like her better as a skater than Sasha, but Irina is my favorite to win gold. :)

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2006, 08:29:26 AM »

As for Johnny Weir--blech.  :P  Can't stand him--he just grates on my last nerve.

Me either! He is a talented skater, but I don't like his cocky attitude.

As for the ladies I hope either Sasha or Irina win the gold.
A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
The commentators mentioned that Irina battles vascular disease which inhibits her circulation and leaves her exhausted. To be able to compete at her level with that condition--and her 'advanced' age--is remarkable. Also, too sad about her mother battling cancer and being too ill to accompany her.  :(  Even more props to Irina for having the emotional stamina to compete at the Olympic games.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2006, 09:05:21 AM »

Me either! He is a talented skater, but I don't like his cocky attitude.

As for the ladies I hope either Sasha or Irina win the gold.

Our male skaters (figure and speed) aren't burnishing the US image much these games--save for Joey Cheek.  :-/  Chad Hedrick & Shani Davis's snarking at each other--including yesterday's really embarrassing public airing of grievances; Davis's teeth-grating post-gold interview with Melissa Stark where he wouldn't even look her in the face OR crack a smile despite having gone into the Olympic history books; Johnny Weir's diva behavior and performance collapse....it just goes on. It's really distracting from their accomplishments on the ice--including about 7 medals so far.

Not to mention my "Anti-Bruce Mickels Olympic Parent Award" which goes to Shani Davis's mother for intentionally wearing the Dutch colors to the last skating event.  >:(  That really torqued me off. I mean, good Lord, your son is representing the US at the premier sporting event on one of the most-viewed television nights and you deliberately show up wearing another nation's colors--and it's not like they're not distinctive. Davis has been accused of not being a team player and I can see where it comes from. I mean, if I was Dutch and the parent one of my star athletes showed up to skate at one of the main events wearing red, white and blue, I'd been pretty angry as well.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
Thank you , everybody , who likes Irina  and other our scaters. I like American speedy scaters very much.
Irina is remarkable warrior .  SHe had a super charming smile.
If I have trouble, I immediately think about Irina and try to fight.
I do not want to speak about her illnesse.
But it is hard. She must fight every day.
But we do not have to feel it.
The ice is her life.
I think that her age is not "advanced".....
Her mother do not have  a cancer.
She suffers of another thing..

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »

Our male skaters (figure and speed) aren't burnishing the US image much these games--save for Joey Cheek.  :-/  Chad Hedrick & Shani Davis's snarking at each other--including yesterday's really embarrassing public airing of grievances; Davis's teeth-grating post-gold interview with Melissa Stark where he wouldn't even look her in the face OR crack a smile despite having gone into the Olympic history books; Johnny Weir's diva behavior and performance collapse....it just goes on. It's really distracting from their accomplishments on the ice--including about 7 medals so far.

Not to mention my "Anti-Bruce Mickels Olympic Parent Award" which goes to Shani Davis's mother for intentionally wearing the Dutch colors to the last skating event.  >:(  That really torqued me off. I mean, good Lord, your son is representing the US at the premier sporting event on one of the most-viewed television nights and you deliberately show up wearing another nation's colors--and it's not like they're not distinctive. Davis has been accused of not being a team player and I can see where it comes from. I mean, if I was Dutch and the parent one of my star athletes showed up to skate at one of the main events wearing red, white and blue, I'd been pretty angry as well.

Surprisingly,dutch IOC member Anton Geesink(former Olympic gold medallist in judo in Tokio)wrote a letter to the US speedskating team,thanking them for putting speedskating on the map(that got me going >:()as it's on the (sports-)
map since decades,but alas,relatively unknown in the US compared to figure skating.

Shani seems to be a "fan" of dutch speedskater Erben Wennemars,Erbie,as he calls him,and he gets along with many competitors of the different nationalities,Hedrick is an arrogant character,strongly disliked by most skaters,not for being "better"as he said himself,just for being such an arrogant pain in the b...,quite frankly I was more then pleased he didn't get gold or silver.........

Joey Cheek is just everyones favorite,he's such a nice decent guy,heard he wishes to enter politics,ending in the White House eventually,he has my blessing!  

I'm off,the 1500 meters for women starts in 5 minutes... :D

Gold and silver for Canadians Klassen and Grooves,bronze for 19 year old dutch Ireen Wust,a debutante at the Olympics who won gold earlyer at the 1000 meter.She's more then pleased and beaming :D.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »
I agree with Hikaru about Irina, I feel exactly the same. As for the speed skater's issues, they are rather disgraceful. I was astonished with their behaviour- I mean really! Can't they just focus on their individual accomplishments rather than tearing each other's throats. It makes you respect true athletes like all the medal contenders of the ladies's singles. On thursday, I will be watching hoping Irina will win, because Hikaru's words are exactly what I think with regard to Irina. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
We could say that Elena Gedevanishvily is the most successful debutant of the Olympic Games.
I am so happy for her and for her coach - Elena Vodorezova - Buyanova.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2006, 10:40:32 AM »
Yes, she has alot of talent! I think she will go places. As one of the commentators very aptly put it '' she is excited to be on the ice with the medal contenders, but it won't be long before they are not excited to be on same ice as her''! I think that was Dick Button, he always gets it right, he is the best skating commentator ever. She has spark and talented-Elena G.!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
Thank you , everybody , who likes Irina  and other our scaters. I like American speedy scaters very much.
Irina is remarkable warrior .  SHe had a super charming smile.
If I have trouble, I immediately think about Irina and try to fight.
I do not want to speak about her illnesse.
But it is hard. She must fight every day.
But we do not have to feel it.
The ice is her life.
I think that her age is not "advanced".....
Her mother do not have  a cancer.
She suffers of another thing..

Sorry, Hikaru--I had put 'advanced' in quotes because she is very young still (27?) but that's considered old to be skating in the Olympics, esp as the  favorite. That's all.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
I enjoy when the athletes get along with their competitors from other countries--it's showing up in their colors that bugs me. Tributes are great--I thought it was really classy the way the Dutch treated, I think it was Cheek, when he won even though it meant their skaters getting beaten out. I just enjoy seeing all the countries take pride in their nations though. It's stuff like that, as well as the Starks interview which you really had to see to appreciate how rude he was, that hurts Davis's image. Hedrick I hadn't heard much about before this but he's just as bad in terms of arrogance from what I've picked up in interviews. I thought it showed real lack of class not to congratulate Davis (unlike the aforementioned Dutch with Cheek) but then also to show it up by pointedly congratulating Joey. Grow up! That press conference that Hedrick/Davis had was just embarrassing.

Many of our athletes aren't behaving well and while they certainly aren't the majority, their antics are hogging the attention. In addition to the aforementioned Weir, Hedrick, Davis, you can add the overweight, obnoxious, 'so arrogant it makes Hedrick look like a paragon of modesty', drunken party boy Bode Miller. Hopefully his embarrassing showing will straighten him up but I doubt it.

On a related speedskating note which also deals with national pride, I confess, despite the fact that it meant the US lost gold, I couldn't help but get rather teary both when Italy won the team gold (their first ever speedskating medal) and then Fabris won the gold individually. The Italians were so happy and proud. :) Seeing Hedrick & Davis's behavior prior, I didn't feel badly that he beat them off. And he's adorable!

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »
The Italians really lived up to Torino's "Passion is here",wonderfull to see.May the best man/woman win,regardless the nationality is what the dutch go by,even tho it means they miss a medal,but fair is fair.

Not that it is'nt "slightly"disappointing tho,at times...but we hate whining.

The dutch are really going nuts when it comes to speedskating,THE national wintersport,it's hugely popular hence all the orange,including the Prince&Princess,in the oval.
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=14329

What's so great as well is the way they get honored,as there is a Holland House in Torino,as at all Olympic venues,where the dutch celebrate each and every night,they're quite unique in doing so as no other nation has these facilities.Every time a medal was won the PoO awarded the winner with a huge,fake,medal on stage and then afterwards they all move to the Café Torino,a beatifull old café on one of the piazza's,but a dutch tv studio during the Olympics,winners and loosers gather there,the winners get honored again the loosers get a boost from it.But then I think the Olympics doesn't really have loosers at all,being there after qualifying is already just great in it self,I'm aware not all agree with me here,but hey sport is sport.

Now,what will the 5000 and 10000 meters bring us?I hope for Joey and his dutch buddies on the podium,but if Fabris pulls that off as well,I would be thrilled all the same.              
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai