Author Topic: Torino Olimpic  (Read 20259 times)

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Torino Olimpic
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2006, 07:28:22 AM »
I didn't warm to Sasha in '02, but I have now. In a way I see her as kind of like Peyton Manning, so good, so talented, but when the big game starts the old red light comes on like Cindy Brady and they mess up. I am so afraid she's going to blow her long. I hope she doesn't, because she was the best skater there and she deserves it, if it's a fair and honest competition.

If Irina wins, I want it to be really because she was honestly the very best, and not because anyone felt sorry for her because of her personal problems, or because  a Russian sweep would be cool or anything like that (which is what I'm afraid of, the old pity vote) She has a silver from last time. I have a problem with anyone, even Michelle Kwan, who have other medals and wanting to get their 'dream' of gold. I know for them personally, it means something, but there are so few medals and so many 'dreams', it just doesn't seem right to be greedy. While Michelle was very gracious and philisophical and classy about not getting gold, I was annoyed at the announcers here who say 'she'll always be tainted' and 'have an asterix next to her name' 'she was good BUT'. This is a bad attitude and diminshes her accomplishments. Why not boast about the things she DID accomplish? She's a double Olympic medalist, yay!

I also hate it when people whine over a silver or a bronze like they came in 20th place. Do you know how many people would die for your metal? All those athletes from all those countries, most will never win one, many more at home don't even qualify for the Olympics. If you get a personal bronze, that is beyond special, and it seems arrogant  and that anyone would devalue that for themselves.

Which brings me to the US speed skaters! Sigh, I thought only women were that gossipy and backstabbing! They too should be very happy they got silver and bronze and stop whining like they got nothing. I'm sure others in the field who did get nothing would gladly take their medals if they don't want them. Again it's very arrogant to be snotty about it and think you deserved gold (unless there was cheating in the judging, which happens, but not in an honest race/performance) His mother wearing orange, oh how childish! How bad the US must look to the world with such attitudes.

PS- I just read they have supposedly made up, and Shani has backed out of the 10,000M.

I also forgot to say good luck to Kimmie and Emily, I think either of them can pull up to a medal with a great performance, as Sarah did last time. (she was in fourth after the short and won gold) I also hope Carolina can do well in front of her home crowd.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »
Yeah, they've supposedly 'made up'. Probably Team USA called them on the carpet. Davis wasn't going to race the 10,000 anyway--that's part of the reason the last race got so much attention, it would be their last head-to-head. Like I said, I'm glad Fabris won. What a genuine guy--so proud and happy. I'm sure if he'd lost, he still would've been thrilled with any medal. I was listening to Sports radio this morning and they said that US sportswriters during the match-up actually high-fived each other when Fabris won. They were glad the US had a medal (or 2) but were glad neither of those 2 crybabies won the gold. What does that say about the perception of them on the part of people whose job it is to cover them.  :-/

I never got the 'if you don't win the big one (ie gold, the Super Bowl, a World Series) you're tarnished somehow'. It's just ridiculous to me. So many factors have to fall in place for those events to occur. You can be the most talented in your sport (Dan Marino in football, Michelle Kwan in skating) and never win the premier event. You should look at a person's whole career. Yes, choking or whatever in the big game/event has to factor in to a legacy but it seems to be too large a factor in modern day sports.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »
Yes, choking or whatever in the big game/event has to factor in to a legacy but it seems to be too large a factor in modern day sports.

Kurt Browning never won any Olympic medal of any color, he 'choked' every time. But he was a great skater, just not in the Olympics.

I sure hope Peyton will have another chance to redeem himself, Steve Young used to be that way too but he finally got the monkey off his back and won the SB! If the Colts can keep the triplets together, there's always hope.

You're right, there are a lot of factors out there that have to work out in your favor. Some very great athletes have never won the 'big one' and through quirks of fate, some very mediocre at best ones have.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2006, 04:43:47 PM »
Oh Lucien, they hadn't aired it here yet!  :(  

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2006, 04:54:05 PM »
I deleted the post,sorry GDElla.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2006, 07:00:06 PM »

most

Which brings me to the US speed skaters! Sigh, I thought only women were that gossipy and backstabbing! They too should be very happy they got silver and bronze and stop whining like they got nothing.

Agreed! I am so tired of their acting like children instead of adults.
A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »
Oh Lucien, they hadn't aired it here yet!  :(  

i made the same stupid mistake but on other thread! :-[ :-[ i apologize again  :-[ :-X sorry all X 1000 :( :(

Laura
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurra »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2006, 07:07:02 AM »

Agreed! I am so tired of their acting like children instead of adults.

At least now they've shaken hands, agreed to act better, and wished each other well. Finally!

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
Well, Irina didn't win  :'( I was hoping! But I give Sasha credit for picking herself up after two falls, and skating the program after that in a very great fashion, although she didn't know if she would medal. She deserved the silver, and is about halfway in her battle not to mess up in the free skate. I give Sasha alot of credit! As for Irina she gave a wonderful performance, but it was flawed by a fall. But that she was even there is a testimony to the true athlete she is. And as for the japanese gold member winner, she skated very elegantly, and was very artistic,. and is a strong jumper who nailed all her jumps-still it was a surprise. But than both Michelle Kwan ( who might have won if she had not been injured given her rivals mistakes), and Irina prove that there are champions of the highest caliber, who never manage to get Olympic gold.  On a different note, the US speedskaters are showing some improvement in being mature medal winners rather than the Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan of speedskating, which is what they reminded me of.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2006, 08:28:15 AM »
I purposely avoided the internet yesterday where I might see results, I wanted to watch it at night and be surprised!

Sasha, like Peyton Manning, is extremely talented but can never totally deliver when the pressure is on, you could see it in her eyes. She was very lucky to hold on for silver. She was very gracious about it, saying she didn't think she was going to medal at all and was happy to have it. This is good, I hate seeing people whine and cry over silver or bronze like they 'lost'. The odds against getting any medal, considering the amount of competition from all over the world, is enormous. Then consider thousands more didn't even make the Olympics! If you get a medal, any medal, you are one of the fortunate ones. Be happy!

The commentators, especially Bob Costas, are terrible about this.(treating silver and bronze as a 'loss.') He did this long speech last night and Sasha's and Irina's dreams being dashed, well excuse me but I saw them on the podium! Irina has 2 now, a silver from last time and a bronze this time. Irina looked so sad, I know she wanted to win gold for her mom, but she should still be proud. He also did the speech for Michelle Kwan saying how her career would always be tainted by no gold, treating it like she was a complete loser! I think being a double medalist, even if they are silver and bronze, like Irina, Michelle and Nancy Kerrigan, are maybe even a better career haul than one gold that came out of nowhere as a surprise by someone we never hear about again. Would you rather have Irina's or Michelle's career, or Oksana's?

Sometimes I think the pressure on the favorites is too great, and this is why we've had surprise gold medalists in the last FOUR Olympics in womens' figure skating!

Congrats to the Japanese girl whose name I can't spell, I'm happy for her, and so glad Japan finally got a medal at the games. They have a lot of good athletes and I was sorry things weren't working out for them.

Looking ahead, Kimmie, Emily, Joannie, Kira, Carolina, the Japanese girl who was too young to go, and more, the future of figure skating looks fun and exciting! Can't wait for worlds!

Offline Joy0318

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2006, 09:28:33 AM »

Sometimes I think the pressure on the favorites is too great, and this is why we've had surprise gold medalists in the last FOUR Olympics in womens' figure skating!

I think you are right. All the pressure was on Sasha and Irina here and I guess it affected their performances. I was hoping that either of them would win the gold but once I saw Sasha fall I knew  she would not get the gold. I was then just hoping that she would make it onto the podium. After Irina fell  I knew that neither of them would get gold.  The pressure was not on  the Japanese girl and she skated a good clean program and it was enough to win. I am really looking forward to the World's too.
A horse is a horse of course of  course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is of course unless the horse
Is the famous Mr. Ed.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2006, 11:22:16 AM »
Yes, the worlds is always interesting to say the least. Of course, I love any figure skating competition.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2006, 01:18:55 PM »
Thank you everybody for your GREAT support.
I am so sorry for Irina for she did not win  :-[
The name of Japanese girl is Shizuka Arakawa.
She did everything very clear and beatifully.
She also is very talented and her scating has very large scale.
Now she will get the special diamond  tiara from Turino City, which Turino city is prepared for the winner of woman 's figure scating.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2006, 02:30:34 PM »
I was just so sad for both Sasha and Irina. Both handled it well and winning silver and bronze is nothing to be ashamed of AT ALL. How many of the other skaters would've gladly taken their positions--all of them I bet! I was annoyed with the 'well, they lost' mantra. It wasn't just Costas--the internet and papers were saying the same thing.

I was especially impressed with Sasha. To fall so early--and twice--could've seriously destroyed a skater's confidence. If you had come in after the falls and watched her last 3 minutes, you would've though 'oh there's the gold medal right there!' Her post-fall skating was the best of the night IMO and she deservedly took the silver. I got rather teary during her skate but then Romeo & Juliet is one of my favorite theme songs. Still, she made more of a connection with the music and the romance of it by herself than some pairs & dancing skaters did to theirs.

I thought Arakawa was good but boring. It just looked to me (no skating expert grant you) that she was checking off the elements--it was elegant but I sensed no passion, you could see her brain working too much. It wasn't a gold medal performance to me, except that the other two fell so there you have it. I was happy for her nonetheless in the sense that Japan had no medals this Olympics and the first night of skating, it was remarked how the pressure was really on the Japanese female skaters. And the other skater (I can't remember her name) came in 4th. I think Japan definitely staked a claim last night.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2006, 10:08:46 PM »
Sasha was beautiful.  I'm really proud of her, because two years ago she would have had a complete melt down.  But she went out there and sold her performance, let everything go, and it was amazing.  I was crying, not just because she'd let that gold go but because she was so beautiful and I was so proud of her.  She says there's no one to blame but herself, but that she's proud she was allowed to "let the music carry [me] through" the rest of her program.  It's sad but I think she'll go on to win Worlds, since Slutskaya and Arakawa aren't going.  Go Sasha!  :-*