Author Topic: Torino Olimpic  (Read 20270 times)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Torino Olimpic
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 11:56:06 PM »
Johnny Weir is actually not Russian - he just fancies himself to be enamored with Russian history, etc.  He once called Anastasia "the tsar" and said how interesting it would be to talk to her because she survived.  ::)

Sasha Cohen's mother is from Ukraine - Odessa.

I'm delighted NBC showed the Kerrs.  Such talent - and working with Christopher Dean!  I hope their free dance it shown; it's so enjoyable and fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lanie »

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 12:02:04 AM »
If he is not russian, why he could speak russian , as real russian?
I like Kerrs too.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 01:10:29 AM »
Johnny's programs were created by Tatiana Tarasova - he visits her over the summers in Connecticut and has picked up Russian from her, and probably Sasha Cohen too who he's good friends with who speaks very good Russian. :)

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 01:45:54 AM »
Surfing around, I found that Evan's mother is called Marina, and Matthew's mother is Tanya (hope it's the right info), it doesn't prove anything of course, but their names sound Russian. Evan's family name sounds Chech/Slovakian, but could of course be from some other East European country.

Talking about Johnny, I really like his skating. I don't know why he seems to be so disliked in his home country (but I don't read the American press, either). Anyway, I don't care so much about what the skaters talk, if they are talented & skate beautifully...  ;)

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 06:55:39 AM »
It is impossible to learn russian only during the trainings 8)
Tatiana Tarassova now left America and returned to Moscow forever.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »
I didn't have any real knowledge of Weir to form an opinion. However, his behavior after his performance was disgraceful--leaving the 'kiss and cry' area and all. Plus the blame he tossed around because he himself missed his bus. Not the mark of an Olympian IMO.

I prefer Johnny Cheek, the speedsakter, who has donated his medal winnings (about $35,000)  to charity--including those dedicated to relief in the Sudan. Now there's some character.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 08:52:56 PM »
It is impossible to learn russian only during the trainings 8)
Tatiana Tarassova now left America and returned to Moscow forever.

Johnny's not fluent.  He's been visiting her over the summers for I think a few years, and I think he's been teaching himself.  Also during the tours, he hangs out with the Russian skaters.  He considers himself Russian as opposed to American, it seems!

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »
Great for our Italian friends,Enrico Fabris won gold at the 1500 meter speedskating today,Shani Davis came in 2nd,unfortunately Joey Cheek missed a medal in the race.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »
Darn.  :(  Guess that's a race I don't need to watch. (They air the major events in the evening here in the US rather than live) I was rooting for Cheek.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
Ladies short program spoilers...

GO SASHA!  :)  You were  8) tonight, girl!

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:23 PM »
Ah..... Lanie, I'm glad that the content of your spoiler wasn't too detailed. I'm really bad about spoiling competitions and I physically made myself too busy to get the results when they were actually happening for the ladies. Being spoiled for the other competitions was such a letdown, so I wanted to really be suprised at the ladies. But I'm glad Sasha skated well.

As for Johnny... you either love him or hate him. I love him. I like the fact that he doesn't care what other people think about him and that he's such a beautiful skater. I did want to smack him on the head during his LP though because it's the Olympics... you don't skip a jumping pass just because you're tired. You go for broke. Even if he'd fallen, he still would have gotten points for it. But since he left it out completely, he missed all those points. And his wearing the CCCP jacket IMO, isn't a big deal at all. It's just a jacket from an non-existing country, and it's a big trend in Europe right now. However, if he'd worn his Russian team jacket (which he does have), that would be a huge deal. I'm glad he hasn't done that.

But I am happy for the US men because all 3 were in the top 7 and that in itself is a rare feat. Though IMO, Savoie should have been 5th.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
I'm rooting for Kimmie Meissner. I just have never, going back to Salt Lake City, been able to warm to Sasha Cohen and some of the interviews she gave around that period didn't help. Kimmie is a great skater, just a delightful person and, best of all, trains at my alma mater the University of Delaware!  :D

As for Johnny Weir--blech.  :P  Can't stand him--he just grates on my last nerve.

In all the sports I watch, I have to be able to like a performer or team to root for them but that's just me--I can't separate the talent and the person.

OK--I posted about 10 mins before they aired Cohen's skate (I was avoiding any spoilers).  I have to say I was impressed with her--she seemed more approachable, more mature, freer somehow. I'm still rooting for Meissner but Cohen has seriously moved up in my book. As one of the commentators said, 'The real Sasha Cohen has arrived.' I just hope she'll take part in the closing ceremonies--she didn't in the opening which I never like when athletes don't go--and really settle into enjoying the experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »
Darn.  :(  Guess that's a race I don't need to watch. (They air the major events in the evening here in the US rather than live) I was rooting for Cheek.

Da..,just my word as I saw the dutch move down too....,and I also at least hoped for a medal for Joey Cheek,as he's the most symphatatic guy on skates in Torino,as far as the US team is concerned .
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2006, 10:45:53 PM »
Sasha's a sweetheart.  I entered a contest on her website once about something I did nice for someone (adopting a soldier).  I was like, well, hey, whatever.  I did something good for someone out there! And she emailed me back personally saying how awesome I was for doing that, etc etc. :)  99% of the people I know who've met Sasha have the same opinion.  She's a lot more mature now.  She's 21 as opposed to 17 which was her age at SLC.  I'm so glad she just went out there and enjoyed herself.  I'm not a big Kimmie fan...she's just...blah.  She'll grow and mature, I'm sure, but right now she's not my cup of tea--but she's young, so I don't really hold it against her. ;)

nerdycool...agree with Matt.  <3 Matt.

I'm dreadfully nitpicky with skaters though since I skate myself. So I'm always going "eek" at bad basics, like Sasha's flutz (sigh--nerdycool knows what I'm talking about!), or just awful posture (Irina S comes to mind), etc.  Matt Savoie = perfection on ice.  Seriously.  Too bad he's going to Cornell.  I want to have your geeky smart skaterbabies, Matt! ;)

Oh.  Another comment:  GO JOHN AND SINEAD KERR! They rocked the HOUSE with their AWESOME Scottish free dance! :D

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:58 AM »
It was really some good skates yesterday! Sasha was really astonishing! I once saw her at a competition in my country and she was just adorarble, both on and off the ice. Very kind and friendly towards the little girls around her, wanting for autograph.

Irina - great competition for her as well! I have always liked her so much. That elusive gold is so very near, but she has to skate perfectly, and Sasha has to make a mistae. I can't really tell whom I'm rooting... Maybe they could share the gold medal...?  ;D

Shizuka is very near and had a good skate, too...
Fumie was wonderful as well.
Kimmie and Emily - so good techcally, but I think they could mature a bit before stepping to the podium. They were happy and why not!

So many beautiful performances to watch!

One thing I disagree with the judges is Elena Sokolova. Disaster and she was held up. There were skaters with clean programs (AND difficulty) placed behind her.

What a shame that Carolina fell her combo. Otherwise, she skated with grace.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed for our Susanna Pöykiö's placement (12th). She had a clean skate after all... Kiira Korpi made a mistake, luckily she is 20th and will go for free.

I'm eagerly waiting for the free program!!