Author Topic: Torino Olimpic  (Read 20283 times)

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Torino Olimpic
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2006, 02:52:14 AM »
I thought Arakawa was good but boring. It just looked to me (no skating expert grant you) that she was checking off the elements--it was elegant but I sensed no passion, you could see her brain working too much. It wasn't a gold medal performance to me, except that the other two fell so there you have it. I was happy for her nonetheless in the sense that Japan had no medals this Olympics and the first night of skating, it was remarked how the pressure was really on the Japanese female skaters. And the other skater (I can't remember her name) came in 4th. I think Japan definitely staked a claim last night.

Fumie Suguri. I love her. She will probably retire soon, but the younger ladies in Japan are something to watch out for... Yukari Nakano, Yukina Ota, Yoshie Onda, Mao Asada (esp. her). Along with Yu-Na Kim of Korea, the next Olympics will be exciting with all the Asian talent.

But yeah, that's one of the things you'll notice about the new scoring system (CoP)... skaters just checking off elements and not really skating with passion. There are still a few skaters who can manage that, like Sasha, but most now are just skating to background music (see Plushenko's & Slutskaya's performances as good examples). Such a shame. Hopefully when skaters get more used to CoP, they'll bring back the artistry.

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2006, 04:03:38 PM »
I'm not a big Sasha fan, but I have to give her credit.  She did very well, and I hope that Worlds' will be better for her.  Her recovery and poise were something to be admired, and like Lanie, I'm quite proud and impressed.  Her exhibition peice I had a chance to see live last year at Champions On Ice, and I think it suits her well.  She should be proud of how she developed as a skater.

Irina did well, considering all that she has to deal with, and I think she ought to be happy with the medals that she does have.  Her passion comes out in exhibitions, and Plushenko finally did something right dirung the exhibitions last night.

I will also agree that Asia is where the future of ladies' and perhaps pairs' is.  As much as I love watching the Russians grab title after title in this sport, it's about time there was a change of scenes.  We're in for some interesting seasons and competitions ahead.

~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2006, 04:57:09 PM »
This was funny:

Mancuso's Victory Leaves One Technician Without Pants
After Losing Bet Over Giant Slalom, Vianello Skis Down Course in His Underwear
By JEAN-LUC COURTHIAL, AP Sports

TURIN, Italy (Feb. 25) - Andrea Vianello lost his pants in a bet, making for a chilly descent on the ski slopes.

Instead of dying his hair or shaving his head - as coaches and support personnel tend to do when their proteges win a big race - the Italian ski technician removed his trousers and skied down the race hill in his underwear following American Julia Mancuso's surprise gold medal performance in the giant slalom.

Vianello, who has done some work with the U.S. women's team, made the gentleman's bet with U.S. technical coach Patrick Riml.

"We spoke together and I said if (Mancuso) wins a medal, I come down in my underwear," said Vianello, who stripped to his black boxer shorts after the last racer had finished and skied the entire run in blowing snow.

"I didn't see him," Mancuso said, laughing. "I wish I had. I can't believe it. I'll have to get him to do it again!"

Vianello - whose nickname is "Giallo," which can translate to 'mystery' - once prepared the skis of Italian stars such as Giorgio Rocca and Alberto Tomba.

Here's a picture:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sportsevent/article.adp?id=20060225075009990010
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2006, 05:32:42 PM »
Hahaha! Priceless!!

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2006, 12:06:33 AM »
That's priceless indeed.

Thank you for sharing GDElla.
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »
Well, for the US Olympians:

The Good:

2nd only to Germany in number of medals won

Apollo Ohno won 3 medals, only the 2nd Winter Olympian to do so since Eric Heiden; has won 5 in 2 Olympics the only one to do so since Heiden (who won his 5 in one Olympics)

Sasha Cohen coming back from 2 falls to win Silver and being gracious over it

Joey Cheek (my favorite) winning 2 medals and donating the $40,000 to charity which the Olympic Committee will now match

Shawn White 'The Flying Tomato' who was so energetic and happpy

Shani Davis being the first African-American (the first black period) to win Individual Gold in a Winter Olympics and also, obviously, being the first AA male to win any medal. Vonetta Flowers won the first in Salt Lake but that was in the 2 man bobsled

Belbin & Agosto winning the first dancing medal in 30 years and only the 2nd one period

Emily Hughes & Kimmie Meissner who so throughly enjoyed their first Olympics and show some real promise for the future

The first US medal in curling!

Kimberly Derrick pulling herself together to compete, even though she came in last, when her 'biggest fan' her grandfather, collapsed and died at the Olympics

The Bad

Michelle Kwan being forced to withdraw

some events we were favored to medal in that we didn't, especially in skiing

Sasha Cohen's falls which kept her from the Gold which her program, IMO, would've won her the gold

Lindsey Jacobellis's showboating which cost her a medal

The choice of when to air major events (which I understand but still) which led to most finding out the results before they aired and consequently lower ratings; they need to come up with a better plan

Johnny Weir's diva behavior where he tossed blame for his loss everywhere but on himself unlike Sasha & Irina

The Ugly:

Bode Miller's 0-5 Olympics and, more especially his incredibly obnoxious behavior--saying he still 'rocked' because he got to party

The Hedrick-Davis feud which overshadowed their accomplishments (and those of some other, more well-behaved compatriots) and was just embarrassing

The behavior of commentators who basically took the attitude towards Sasha (and Irina) that 'you don't win silver (or bronze), you lose gold' to borrow the old Nike Olympic motto--they were among the few held to this standard, bronze and silver were treated fine for other US Olympians

The same commentators who acted like the US Olympians bombed because they didn't repeat the huge medal haul of Salt Lake (which was the first Winter Olympics we had done well in--hello short memory)

There was tons to celebrate all around in terms of athletes from other countries but I'm not familiar with most, especially how to spell name  :-/  to be a good commentator so I stuck to the US. Congrats though to all those Olympians who won medals, and more, importantly represented their countries well and proudly whether or not they medalled.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Agneschen

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2006, 09:40:11 AM »
I am a great supporter of the Austrian alpine skiing team and as such would like to congratulate them for their wonderful results ! The triple success yesterday in the slalom was awesome and a wonderdul way of ending the games (I could not believe my eyes and was beside myself with joy) !!  :D  :D
Also congrats to the Austrian ski jumping team for their medals (though they defeated the German team - and my all time favourite Martin Schmitt - I was supporting)! Finally congrats to Plushenko for his title - he was absolutely stunning during the short program !

What a pity the Winter Games are about to close ... I am very fond of winter sport and it is hardly ever aired on French TV ... 4 long years to wait until the next Olympics.

I was about to forget : a great many thanks to Italy and the city of Torino for all the wonderful job they have done during these 2 weeks !

Offline ZarevnaOlga

• Graf
  • Grand Duchess Olga
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
Poor Irina...
Poor Sascha...

Great Shizuka! She is very beautiful! I saw she live in Dortmund 2004, where she won gold. And now olimpic gold! I saw the gold winner líve!!! Yuhuu!

I think Sascha will be the next wourld champion!
Who knows what programm will they all have? The same like Olimpic? Or have they all new programms? It is a lot of work, isnt it?

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2006, 06:37:36 PM »

Great Shizuka! She is very beautiful! I saw she live in Dortmund 2004, where she won gold. And now olimpic gold! I saw the gold winner líve!!! Yuhuu!

she is very beautiful isn't she? i havent seen such pretty Japanese skater for a long time,and also very gracious on ice,perhaps her athletic conformation helps here...and i love her blue dresses,i think blue suits her the best :)i was very happy for her ! :)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
Everyone uses the same programs all season, though Shizuka and some other skaters have changed things around for the Olympics. :)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
We have discussed the skaters, now, about the commentators. Did anyone besides me think that Tom Hammond doesn't know that much about figure skating?  ::) I didn't think he had that much knowledge of it at all, and I have watched pretty much every major televised figure skating event since 1995, as far as I am able. Anyway, I did appreciate NBC's Olmypic coverage in general,  it is certainly better than CBS, and how they covered the 1998 olympics.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2006, 03:45:09 AM »
So,yesterday the Paralympics started in Torino and hardly,if any at all,coverage from any of the tv stations.As we've seen so many Olympic hero's over the past weeks,I really think the atletes competing in Torino now deserve our attention as well,I have immense respect for what they've achieved,let alone they're able to compete in the Paralympics.It's so underrated,it's a disgrace in my eyes.Still here we go,the hero's of Torino's Paralympics:
http://www.paralympicgames.torino2006.org/ENG/ParalympicGames/photogallery/gallery_19_4.html
Je Maintiendrai