Author Topic: Pictures of the Interiors as they were  (Read 175359 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of the Interiors as they were
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »
The Little Pair's classroom (I think!)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »
It can't be the Grand Duchesses' classroom at the Alexander Palace--the decor is all wrong, especially the flower wallpaper. It may very well be a classroom, but I'm almost positive it's at the Lower Dacha at Peterhof. Much of the decor there was floral and judging from the size of the room, it can't image it being elsewhere.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »
I agree that it's certainly not this classroom:

But I wonder if it could be the room listed on this plan as #37, labeled as the "Junior Girls Classroom. I've never seen a photo of that room -- have you, Ortino?

I don't think you can rule out the AP by virtue of the wallpaper. They had floral wallpaper in other rooms on the children's floor that's similar to the design in the photo I posted, such as the GDss dining room, and the Crimson Room:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sarahelizabethii »
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006, 06:12:50 AM »
No, room 37 is the Music Room. It's labeled wrong. Floral wallpaper may be a common theme, but I don't think it matches anything in the Alexander Palace. I still think that it's the Lower Dacha.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 08:07:24 AM »
No, room 37 is the Music Room. It's labeled wrong.
Really? That means the book by V.I. Yakovlev, The Alexander palace-museum in Detskoye Selo. Decoration.- Leningrad., 1928 is incorrect. What's the correct label for room #17, then? It says Music Room & Cinema Room. And what source have you found to be more accurate?

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2006, 08:22:32 AM »
This is from the floorplans thread:

"There were two classrooms for the Grand Duchesses in the palace. The second was over Nicholas's Reception Room and was used for music and dance instruction."

The main palace website labels it as a classroom for the young grand duchesses where "piano practice of his [Nicholas] daughters could be heard from above in this room."

Nicholas' Reception Room is right under room 37--therefore if music could be heard, we can presume it was either the Music Room or there was a piano in there at least. I don't know exactly what room 17 was used for--it's labeled as "The Music Room (the Cinema Room or the Teacher`s Common Room)" by Vladimir_V in the floorplans thread, meaning that it may have served several functions.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2006, 08:41:59 AM »
This is from the floorplans thread:

I don't know exactly what room 17 was used for--it's labeled as "The Music Room (the Cinema Room or the Teacher`s Common Room)" by Vladimir_V in the floorplans thread, meaning that it may have served several functions.

Considering that Alexey had a large suite to himself and quite a separate schedule and course of study than his sisters, it makes sense that he would have his own "Music Room."  And Ortino's descripription that it might also be used as a Cinema Room and a Teacher's Common room makes a lot of sense considering the attention the Heir would receive.  I am also sure that with five pupils there would have to be more than one piano for practicing.

BobG

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
Considering that Alexey had a large suite to himself and quite a separate schedule and course of study than his sisters, it makes sense that he would have his own "Music Room."  And Ortino's descripription that it might also be used as a Cinema Room and a Teacher's Common room makes a lot of sense considering the attention the Heir would receive.  I am also sure that with five pupils there would have to be more than one piano for practicing.

That makes sense. Maybe there's also a difference in terminology between the IF and the museum curators. We've got a room in our house that we rather grandly refer to as "the library." It's got books in it, but we really use it to watch TV. If someone who didn't know us came in to map the house, they'd certainly label it a den.  ;)

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:24 PM »

That makes sense. Maybe there's also a difference in terminology between the IF and the museum curators. We've got a room in our house that we rather grandly refer to as "the library." It's got books in it, but we really use it to watch TV. If someone who didn't know us came in to map the house, they'd certainly label it a den.  ;)

This may certainly be so--what one call's a specifc room or place may not be the same as another person. I also agree with Bob G--Alexei had his own rooms away from his sisters, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had his own Music Room.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »

This may certainly be so--what one call's a specifc room or place may not be the same as another person. I also agree with Bob G--Alexei had his own rooms away from his sisters, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had his own Music Room.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2006, 06:16:38 PM »
The films were only shown in the Semi-Circular Hall, so that is the only room properly labelled "cinema" but really that isn't accurate, obviously.

Offline Vladimir_V.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »
The films were only shown in the Semi-Circular Hall, so that is the only room properly labelled "cinema" but really that isn't accurate, obviously.

The room 17 had a cinema screen (from the rubber cloth covered by aluminum paint).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Vladimir_V. »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
The telephone mounted on the wall of the imperial bedroom (as well as a nice close-up of the wallcovering! ;))

Elizaveta

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »
I just HAD to get it off my chest...

I wish I could have those Edwardian-era interiors, they always made rooms seem so cozy and homey, unlike today's modern style!  :-X

Alixz

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
I think that the room with the circular wall paper and matching curtains would have made me crazy!   :o  Then if that were not enough, every other inch is covered with photos, paintings, icons, and other decorations.

I can't imagine what the interior designers of "Sell This House" on HGTV would have to say about the "clutter".  ;D  Good thing the Romanovs never had to sell their palaces.  The new owner's taste might not have been the same. And according to those interior designers, "you must let the prospective buyers see their possessions in place of yours and too much clutter makes a room look small."   ;D