Author Topic: A postcard with Catherine photo 1924  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Taiga_Cyn

• View Profile
A postcard with Catherine photo 1924
« on: February 18, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a postcard with a photo of Catherine on the front dated 1924.  She is the neice of my grandfather, Alexander Durasov.

Here is the back:

Here is a closeup of the message:

There is also writing on the side with date:

There is a stamp of an address on the postcard as well that seems to be for Riga Latvia and a seal on the front of the postcard as well for the photo studio in Riga.

Here is the photo on the front of Catherine in 1924:

Thank you in advance for your help reading these messages sent by my family.

Cynthia :)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: A postcard with Catherine photo 1924
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 01:19:15 PM »
Dear Uncle Shura,
I'm sending you my photo, although it's not very good. I wish you and everybody all the best and kiss you all affectionately.
Yours, Katya.
[The handwriting is obviously childish, using post-1918 orthography].

The side note [adult handwriting using pre-1918 orthography]:
Photographed in June, 1924.
Katya, 9 years old.
-------------------
Cynthia, I really enjoy translating your family notes!
Could Admiral Alexander Durasov (died 1848 ) and Senator Feodor Durasov (died 1852) [they were apparently brothers] be your ancestors?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mike »

Offline Taiga_Cyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:02:22 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks again for helping me in my effort to learn more about my family.  I will post some more pictures w/writing soon.

Re: "Could Admiral Alexander Durasov (died 1848 ) and Senator Feodor Durasov (died 1852) [they were apparently brothers] be your ancestors? " ::)

Who are they?  Could you point me towards anything to read about them?

My great-grandfather's name was Fred Durasov (Fredrick?) but he died in St. Petersburg in 1920.

When you refer to the "orthography" was there very large differences that occurred that I should be aware of?  ie.  My grandfather spelled our last name in English on documents in Canada as "Dourasoff" between the years 1900-1923.

Regards,

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »
Admiral Alexander Durasov and Senator Feodor Durasov - Who are they?  Could you point me towards anything to read about them?

They're mentioned in the Russian Biography Dictionary by A. Polovtsov  [Russian only].

When you refer to the "orthography" was there very large differences that occurred.

The differences weren't large, but often noticeable enough to say whether a document/publication was created before or after 1918. However, many Russian emigrants continued to use the "old orthography" through the 1920s, 1930s and even after WW2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Mike »

Offline frimousse

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:24:10 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks again for helping me in my effort to learn more about my family.  I will post some more pictures w/writing soon.

Re: "Could Admiral Alexander Durasov (died 1848 ) and Senator Feodor Durasov (died 1852) [they were apparently brothers] be your ancestors? " ::)

Who are they?  Could you point me towards anything to read about them?

My great-grandfather's name was Fred Durasov (Fredrick?) but he died in St. Petersburg in 1920.

When you refer to the "orthography" was there very large differences that occurred that I should be aware of?  ie.  My grandfather spelled our last name in English on documents in Canada as "Dourasoff" between the years 1900-1923.

Regards,

Dourasoff was the French spelling of your name, at this time French language was the international language on passports...
In German it would be Durasow
In English Durasov

Offline Taiga_Cyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
frimousse,
 thank you for the information regarding the spelling of my last name.  I didn't realize that it could be "french spelling".  Because of the "off" at the end instead of "ov" I have often been mistaken as being from Doukabor heritage because alot of Russian Doukabors immigrated to Canada in the early part of the 20th century.  We often wondered if immigration officials in Canada had just mis-heard the name and spelled it accordingly.  Thank you for clearing this up as I search for more documents.

Cyn