Author Topic: King Gustav VI Adolf , his 1st wife Margareth and their family  (Read 147497 times)

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
King Gustav VI Adolf , his 1st wife Margareth and their family
« on: February 20, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »
I read it last June during my trip to France, and I loved it. The one thing about it that saddened me was the fact that had Margaret of Connaught not died so early, then it would have been SIX reigning consorts instead of five, and you so rarely hear about Margaret, it would have been interesting to learn more about her life growing up and her marriage to Gustav Adolf. Otherwise, this was a really really good book, and I definately did learn things about them that I didn't know

reading this i have decided that this wonderful person deserves a thread,if there is a thread on her already started feel free to ignore this;though i've searched the forum and couldn't find that thread dedicated to "the queen of hearts"as i've read she is named here;

the truth is that i don't know many things about her-all that i know is that she was a good ,loving mother ,a sensitive person,she was the mother of another great queen,Ingrid of Danmark,that she was a "glue"in the family during the war and that she died at 38 .

it would be so nice if we could start a little discussion here on her life since i'm always so curious to find out new things on any of QV's magnificent granddaughters :) as lostfan said we hear rarely about Margaret and it's a pity to forget a lady like her:)

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King Gustav VI Adolf , his 1st wife Margareth and their family
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:40:58 AM »
why did she die at 38?was she ill?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »
She was pregnant (6th month) when she suddenly felt ill. The acute peritonitis became a reason of her death. :(

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:06 AM »
It's easy to see where she got her nickname (Daisy).
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:08:24 PM »
indeed she was as delicate as a flower,i think that delicate is the word that characterises her the best

so sad on finding out more about her tragic  her death :'(did not know she was expecting a child :'(

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:28:30 AM by Svetabel »

Rebecca

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:26:13 PM »
During her years as crown princess of Sweden, Margaretha (as she was called in Sweden) was immensly popular. I have not read all that much about her, but hardly anybody have had anything negative to say about her.

Today, her and Gustaf Adolf's summer castle, Sofiero, is open to the public, and the park and her garden is taken care of by professionals who work according to the ideas on gardening that Margaretha had. Sofiero is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (I was there a few years ago). :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Rebecca »

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »
Rebecca,thank you for great info on Daisy:)i'm sure she was very popular in Sweden ...can't imagine her not being popular and loved by the people since she was so sweet,noble and delicate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurra »

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 06:00:32 AM »
Today, her and Gustaf Adolf's summer castle, Sofiero, is open to the public, and the park and her garden is taken care of by professionals who work according to the ideas on gardening that Margaretha had. Sofiero is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (I was there a few years ago). :)

lucky you!!!i'm sure the castle and its garden are beautiful decorated:)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 07:40:19 PM »

Daisy is one of my favorites. I have the bio on her that's in Swedish.

I wish there was more on her out there--the bios on her father don't give a lot of info. I'm always looking though.

Queen Margarethe of Denmark (her granddaughter) also shares her nickname, Daisy, and has several pieces of jewelry that belonged to Daisy. They were inherited by her only daughter Queen Ingrid and passed on to Queen Margarethe.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:28:50 AM by Svetabel »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 07:42:15 PM »
why did she die at 38?was she ill?

She actually died on her father's birthday.  :'( Arthur would outlive his 2 older children.

There were conflicting reports of her death. From what I could piece together, she caught a cold, it led to an ear infection and that infection spread and eventually led to her death. She was about 6 mos along in her pregnancy.

Here's part from another thread:

'The family were together for the last time at Patsy's wedding in 1919 at which Ingrid was a bridesmaid. Soon though, Daisy who had had ear trouble early in 1920 seemed to be improving by Feb  and was expecting her 6th child in June. Then she ame down with chicken pox and developed trouble in her cheek bone (which could've been related to the prior ear trouble). She went north for a change of air and caught a bad chill but was reported to be doing well. Even the day before her death, Arthur didn't know the severity of her illness. Sadly, on Arthur's 70th birthday, she died at age 38 and the day became a sad anniversary. '
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »
While much has been made of Patsy's artistic talent, Daisy was no slouch herself. There are many photos of her sketching and she exhibited/sold some of them for her numerous charity bazaars during WW1. She was tireless in trying to raise money for the war effort and care of soldiers. She loved the outdoor sports that living in Sweden afforded her--skiing, sledding, ice skating. She was very athletic. Much of her artistic ability also came out in her love of gardens--there was a book she published (also for charity) about her gardens.
Daisy:

(as a bridesmaid at George & Mary's wedding)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »

Louise, Daisy & Patsy at EVII's coronation:

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 04:13:44 AM »
grandduchessella thank you for wonderful photos and great info as usual.so sad she died so young as i said i did not know she was pregnant  :'( :'( :'(

sorry i couldnt find the thread you started on Windsor Land quite hard to find a thread there ;),thanks for giving the link:)

so apart from the bio in Swedish is there any other book on her?? i dont think there is :-/its a pity,i think her life was very interesting ...hope someday we'll have a bio on her as we do have on her many cousins.

the more i read about Margaretha the more i like her...oh and she must have loved gardening and flowers since she was a flower herself! :)

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 04:41:08 AM »
not sure but i think i have read somewhere  that their marriage was a happy one,is this true??[the couple do look as if croped out of a fairy tale ]--a love match--and the lovely result :D

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:29:09 AM by Svetabel »

Rebecca

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 03:22:01 PM »
not sure but i think i have read somewhere  that their marriage was a happy one,is this true??[the couple do look as if croped out of a fairy tale ]--a love match--and the lovely result :D

Yes, it is said that it was a love match, and that their marriage was very happy. :) They probably fit very well together. Margarethas mother-in-law, the stiff queen Victoria, was not always very happy or benevolent about Margaretha's "liberal" ideas, but I think that Margaretha stood up pretty well to the old dragon. ;)

On this page there are some pictures of Margaretha and Gustaf Adolf and one of what Sofiero looks like today. The text is in Swedish, but it gives a short history of  Sofiero (Gustaf Adolf and Margaretha got it as a wedding gift from his grandparents, king Oscar II and queen Sophia (Sofiero is derived from queen Sophias name) as well as a description of the castle today. :)                  

By the way, you spelled the names of her children excellently. :)