Author Topic: Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Countess Sophie and their family  (Read 380905 times)

Offline Zukunftsseele

• Boyar
  • http://zukunftsseelen.net.tc
    • View Profile
    • EMPRESS ELISABETH FORUM - Die Zukunftsseelen
Re: Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Countess Sophie and their family
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »
One of my favourite pics of him: Little Franz Ferdinand

EMPRESS ELISABETH FORUM - Die Zukunftsseelen
http://zukunftsseelen.net.tc

Most Beautiful Souls - Blog http://mostbeautifulsouls.blogspot.com/

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2009, 12:33:04 PM »
Franz as a little boy with Mommy , Daddy and brother Otto. Courtesy of Claudia from foros historias & vidas.

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Zukunftsseele

• Boyar
  • http://zukunftsseelen.net.tc
    • View Profile
    • EMPRESS ELISABETH FORUM - Die Zukunftsseelen
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
He was such a cute boy.

EMPRESS ELISABETH FORUM - Die Zukunftsseelen
http://zukunftsseelen.net.tc

Most Beautiful Souls - Blog http://mostbeautifulsouls.blogspot.com/

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
Yes he was!

With her father and siblings. Also courtesy of Cladia from foros Historia y vidas ( i ve seen tons of gorgeous pictures of the habsburgs over there, Claudia is doing a great job with them )

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 28, 2009, 06:26:48 AM »
In memory of
Franz Ferdinand von Österreich-Este

(* 18th July 1863 in Graz; † 28. June 1914 in Sarajevo)

and

Sophie Chotek von Chotkova und Wognin, Herzogin von Hohenberg
( * 1st March 1868 in Stuttgart; † 28. June 1914 in Sarajevo)

on the 95th. anniversary of the tragic events of
Sunday, 28th. June 1914 in Sarajevo

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
Hi Greenowl,

I remembered today was the 'tragic day' when I got up this morning...  And wondered, what the world might have been had the Archduke and his wife not been assassinated.
How much has changed in the past 95 years - technology has improved but mores and manners have not.
Whatever became of "class"???  It seems it too was killed on June 28th, 1914...

Larry

Offline Lyss

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
If you mean to say that WWI could have been avoided if FF and his wife wouldn't have been killed, I don't think so. Wilhelm was preparing for to long for this war, he just had a good excuse with the assasination. But you're right, the 20th century has been terrible. Hopefully my children will be born in a free world. I'm lucky to grow up most of my life in peace, but looking at my family: war, camps, prison,...
But what do you mean with "class" has died that day? If you mean western culture, I don't think it has. Even through everything the world has been through during the last century, it managed to produce people as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Solznjetsin, Marcel Pagnol, Isabel Allende, Orlando Figes, Victoria Holt...(I'm just looking around me at my bookcases ;) ), the Beatles,  Steven Spielberg, ... and so on , and not to mention this amazing website we're posting on.
I think we tend to romantize the past too much. We look at pictures from hose beautiful days forgetting that only a select few were actually enjoying it, we forget the immense poverty, the colonization, women and children dying (I'm talking about the west in those days, because most of this sh** is still reality in the third world and in smaller amounts in the west)
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Russka Princess

« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
 hey i found that in a spain website....

"The two remained badly injured. The last words of Franz Ferdinand to his wife were: "Sopherl, Sopherl, darling …! Do not die! Live for the children!”. This way the archduke died. It was eleven o'clock of the morning. She resisted scarcely fifteen minutes more than he."

sadly..sadly.. :'(

Offline Wenzel

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2009, 10:24:02 PM »
Here in Buenos Aires had lived the nephew of Sophie Countess Chotek and Duchess of Hohenberg, he was Franz Ferdinand von Wuthenau son of one of the sisters of the the Duchess of Hohenberg, Maria Antonia Countess Chotek, married to Count von Wuthenau Hohenthurm from and old family of Saxony. Franz Ferdinand von Wuthenau left Germany in the 30's, he married in Buenos Aires Elinor Bromberg daughter of Erwin Bromberg a German entrepreneur. Both had four children, Marie Antoinette Countess Sagramoso, Francisco Fernando married to Cristina de Bary and an outstanding academician, former President of Saint Andrew's University in Buenos Aires, Elisalex widow of Alberto Bosch murdered by terrorists when he was working for Bunge Co in the 1970's, and married again to Eduardo Helguera and Paulette the youngest first married to Jeremy Keen and secondly to Manuel Gonzalez Quesnel. There is another brother who left Germany and went to Mexico, Alexander von Wuthenau who was quite successful as well. There are lots of grandchildren and great grand children from both brothers and they keep their relations with their cousin Georg Herzog von Hohenberg a quite charming and smart man, who was an Austrian diplomat for many years.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:31:02 PM by Wenzel »

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »
Thank you very much for the pics, they're very beautiful, about the reply of
Russka Princess about the moment of their death, when I read it I felt so sad
:-( but thank you anyway

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »
Franz Ferdinand with his sons

And little Sophie with one of her brothers

Both images courtesy of Mrs. Fujita.

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
Excuse me, perhaps the answer of this question is well known for you, but is unknown for
me.... What happened with the children after the death of their parents?

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
They were takenken in by their father's close friend Prince Jaroslav von Thun und Hohenstein. In 1918 the new Czechoslovakian state was dceclared and former properties fo the family including Konopiště were confiscated. The children moved to Vienna. In 1938 after the Anschluss they were arrested and deported to Dachau concentration camp where they spent the next seven years of their lives. The reason for their imprisonment was that Max was one of the principal public opponents to the Anschluss. Following the collapse of the Third Reich and their release.

Maximilian married Countess Maria Elisabeth Bona von Waldburg zu Wolfegg und Waldsee on 16 November 1926. He had six children by her, all sons. He died in 1962.
Ernst married Marie-Therese Wood on 25 May 1936 and had two children. He died in 1954.
Sophie married Count Friedrich von Nostitz-Rieneck (1891–1973) on 8 September 1920 and bore him four children. She lived to be 89 years old, dying in 1990, and outliving both of her younger siblings.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2009, 02:57:55 AM »
Wasn't Prince Jaroslav von Thun und Hohenstein their uncle?

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
I can´t find anything about him, just that he was "close friend and shooting partner " of Franz.