Author Topic: Birthday ball/Coming out party  (Read 46124 times)

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
Re: Birthday ball/Coming out party
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2009, 01:02:01 AM »
I read somewhere that she and Tatiana used to attend some balls . Anastasia and Marie couldn't go cuz' they were too young , I guess ...

Maybe you read it in this very thread. :) It has already been said that they attended only one other ball, one hosted by the Dowager Empress in early 1914. They stayed up till 4:30 AM in the morning.

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »
That ball was really long! Do you know at what hour started the balls? Perhaps a strange question
but it came to my mind when I saw the hour of the end. What kind of music did they use to dance?
Waltz?

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2009, 12:30:29 AM »
I know that some of the balls from those years used to end near to the sunrise. The dances they used to dance were a lot, not only Waltz. Here you hace a little list:

-Waltz
-Boston.
-Hesitation Waltz.
-Mazurka.
-Polka.
-Polka -Mazurka
-Ostende.
-One Step
-Two Step
-Quadrille (no the XVIII Century one, but a similar one choreography speaking with a faster, feisty music)
-Cotillon (with the famous "games" in the middle).
-Lanzers.
-Schottisch (there were a lot of types of this same dance with different choreographies)

-Cakewalk (it was a GREAT hit at OTMA's time. Some people considered it a dance of "lower classes" coming from "black people" of the USA's. But as fast as I'm writting it, everybody was dancing it hearthily all world round, in high society circles. But as fast as Cakewalks came it was gone. Itys fashion only lasted five or six years...)
-Grizzly Bear
-Castle Walk.
- Tango (after 1913...before it was cnsidered a dance of prostitutes and bad men)
-Maxixe (It was quite erotic until dance teachers gave it a mre decent look)

OTMA lived in the exciting time of "Ragtime" . There were lots of wonderful dances for young girls to have fun. And I must confess that I love these two and have learned how to dance them  ;) . I'm a vintage and folk Argentinian dance teacher, and just love these kind of music and choreography since the 1700 until 1940's . After this period, choreographies became quite plain for me. But this is just another issue.  ;D

RealAnastasia.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Thank you very much Anastasia, I don't know very much about the music of that days ;-)
And thanks for the explanations

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »
I love vintage dances and to dance, so if I may help, this is a pleasure for me.  ;)And if you wants to have some samples of these kind of dances, you may go to Youtube and type their names on the research machine. They have a great collection of dances and rythms of every known hystorical period. And the performance is great in almost every sample of dance they shows.

RealAnastasia.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
I love vintage dances and to dance, so if I may help, this is a pleasure for me.  ;)And if you wants to have some samples of these kind of dances, you may go to Youtube and type their names on the research machine. They have a great collection of dances and rythms of every known hystorical period. And the performance is great in almost every sample of dance they shows.

RealAnastasia.

Thank you very much for the advice. :-)

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:57 AM »

I found a translation concerning Olga’s 16th Birthday Ball taken from the memoirs of a Countess who served as Grand Duchess Irina Alexandrovna’s governess at that time (courtesy of Tanya of the livadia.org page in Live Journal).

The coming of age of the Grand Duchess Olga was on November 3. She was turning sixteen. With Tatiana Nikolaevna and Sophia Ivanovna, she visited Irina about 3 o’clock in the afternoon the day before her birthday. They stayed with us till evening. We sat upstairs in our rooms. It was so cozy there! We had tea, ate fruits, and played slow games like the writing of Russian towns which must begin with this-or-that letter within 10 minutes, and the writing in secret of wishes to each other and later guessing who wrote the wishes. Saying goodbye, Olga Nikolaevna told me: “I have specially visited you today to invite you and Irina to my birthday tomorrow.” She was very fine, sweet, modest and polite a girl. I was accustomed to give her any knick-knack on her every birthday. I ordered a pretty picture frame in Russian style from the artist Pianovsky. He was a protégé of Princess Eristova. The Princess was very pleased of my order to him. He really made a quite creative frame decorated with precious Siberian stones. I gave it to Sophia Ivanovna with a request that she put it on Olga’s writing table. There was a custom in the Imperial Family that gifts must not be handed to them personally. The one who gives the presents must attach a note on the gift and put those on a table, usually near the bedroom of the one to be given.

I had come to the dinner the next day with the Grand Duke (Alexander) and his wife (Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna), Irina, Shatalen, and Sophia Dmitriyevna Yevreinova (GD Xenia’s Lady-in-waiting). The dinner was held at the large white hall of the Livadia Palace. The orchestra was playing all the time. Standing together, the Imperial Family received greetings. The ball was begun after the dinner. A delegation from the regiment under the patronage of Olga Nikolaevna was present with their commander. Olga took delight in dancing with the officers of her regiment. She danced mazurka with the commander. The delegation presented her a full dress uniform of their regiment. She warmly thanked me for the picture frame. She said; “I have framed my most favorite photo of my papa right away, and it will always on my writing table.”

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 03:44:37 AM »
Shammy - every time you post you find something amazing. This is indeed very interesting - the info about the custom of not giving the gift personally is new to me and provides a delightful new insight into the family life.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »
Yes, I agree. Your insight shows Olga as a very sensitive, caring girl. I know she also may be quite stubborn, and lazy and a little harsh to some people (Specially her mother!  ;D ) but this was for she wasn't perfect , like no one of us are perfect. If I must make a conclusion about what I've read about her, I can conclude saying she was angelic, with some bad traits that all of us uses to have.  ;)

RealAnastasia.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »
I found a translation concerning Olga’s 16th Birthday Ball ..... She said; “I have framed my most favorite photo of my papa right away, and it will always on my writing table.”[/i]
Grand Princess Shandroise, you're amazing! Thanks for posting your finds. This was adorable.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »
You are all very welcome! I was so surprised to find that because the day I found that I was looking for more info about Anna Vyrubova.

This is indeed very interesting - the info about the custom of not giving the gift personally is new to me and provides a delightful new insight into the family life.
Now I wonder how the sisters gave each other gifts - could they also be doing this?

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Talya

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 04:24:02 AM »
For Olga's 16th b-day party she had that photo and GD Ally's coloured it and I have one question.. Will GD Ally post it  :) :) :) :) please
Why I enjoy watching The Andy Griffith Show at 2am, I'll never know.
Why yes, I do enjoy comical stylings of Anastasia :]

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:32 AM »
Now I wonder how the sisters gave each other gifts - could they also be doing this?

I'm not sure -- it's not clear whether this tradition applies to all gifts, or only those given from outside the family.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
I'm not sure -- it's not clear whether this tradition applies to all gifts, or only those given from outside the family.
Good point. It makes sense if it was the way for non family...it's quite familiar to give gifts personally. Plus there must of been so many from non family, Olga would have to spend hours just reciving her gifts ! The author says There was a custom in the Imperial Family that gifts must not be handed to them personally."...the word  "them" indicates a separation from non family.It's interesting to read it  was the tradition to put the gift  on a table. That could indicate the gift is one of many and a table was actually needed for them! Fasinating to run into how these things were done. 

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Grand Duchess Jennifer

• Graf
  • "Give my love to all who remember me"-Olga,1918
    • View Profile
    • The Last Grand-Duchesses of Russia-OTMA
Re: Olga's birthday ball
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
Nad - Posting on behalf of Ally. : ) Is this it?

http://radikal.ru/F/i057.radikal.ru/0901/d4/b277d7dd69c6.jpg.html

Please visit www.freewebs.com/grand-duchessesofrussiaotma/
Banner and Icon by Ally