Author Topic: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news  (Read 309773 times)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »
Here is an article about Louis, Prince Napoléon (I'm not sure what newspaper it is from as the article was cut out and pasted in a book of mine):

June 1977
PARIS -- His Imperial Highness Prince Napoleon, in swimming trunks and navy blue sports shirt, stretched his 6-foot-5 height in a comfortable chair on his terrace at Cap Camerat and looked out over the Mediterranean Sea. "I get my height from the maternal side," he said with a smile.
  Prince Napoleon, great grandson of Emperor Napoleon's youngest brother Jerome and Catherine of Wurttemberg, is the last descendant of the family that once ruled France. Louis' title and that of the Comte de Paris, last descendant of King Louis Philippe, are the only two titles officialy recognized at the Lysee Palace on the orders of President Giscard d'Estaing.
  Louis Napoleon is the great-great nephew of the Emperor of France, great-grandson of King Victor Emanuel of Italy, grandson of King Leopold II of Belgium and is honored, sought-after and curtsied to, he remains a gutsy French patriot.
  Exiled (as were his forebears from 1852) till 1950, he still managed to serve as a French commando in World War II. When both the French and British armies turned him down because of his exile status, he joined the French Foreign Legion as Swiss citizen Louis Blanchard. After France capitulated to the Germans he tried getting back into the country by crossing the Pyrenees from Spain in the dead of winter but was captured and put into the same prison that confined Gen. de Gaulle's brother.
  When the Germans tried to make a deal with the prince to promote the Napoleonic idea of a unified Europe - only under Hitler - he turned a deaf ear. Eventually freed on probation, he immediately teamed up with the underground as a commando until 1944 when he was allowed to join the regular army.
  His lovely-looking wife, Alix, daughter of Count Alberic de Foresta, is the mother of his two sons and two daughters. The youngest, Jerome, 20, has spent the past two months working in Houston for gas tycoon Bob Herring before returning home to serve his stint in the army. Alix presides over three abodes for her banker husband - the informal Riviera retreat, a house near Geneva and an apartment in Paris.
  On a red velvet pillow reposing on a table is the first gold and enamel collar (necklace) of the Legion of Honor which Napoleon created. In the arched alcove behind the sofa are ten swords Napoleon carried, including the one he wore to his coronation - only with paste diamonds replacing the original huge gems now owned by the state.
  "My favorite is the silver one," said Alix, "because it is so modest and the one he carried when he was a general."
  On one wall is Jacques Louis David's famous portrait of Napoleon, the duplicate of which is in the National Gallery of Art in Washington. On another wall are bookshelves filled with the books Napoleon read in his last days on St. Helena, each bearing a pale imperial mark stamped with the crude wooden seal made there by his faithful valet. Mounted on a little stand on a shelf is a small silver eagle that was with him on St. Helena.
  "It was the only piece of silver left," said the princess. "All the rest was sold to live on but he couldn't bring himself to sell the eagle because it was the insignia."
  All the chairs and settees in the room are inherited pieces from Tuileries Palace and covered with Beauvais tapestry. On the walls of the dining room are dynamic Francois Gerard portraits of the handsome Jerome as King of Westphalia, and his Queen Catherine.
  Where ever the eye lit was an object of artistic and historical significance. To see it all in the live-in setting of the same family here in Paris produced an eerie feeling that the Emperor himself might walk into the room at any moment.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »
What a wonderful article!!!! I´ve just made a copy! In which book was it?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
What a wonderful article!!!! I´ve just made a copy! In which book was it?

The one I'm to send to you ;)! I had taken off the dust jacket and I saw that someone had pasted the article on the back of the book...much to my surprise it was about Louis and Alix!

The bit about Prince Jerome was interesting, he must speak English if he was working in the US.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:32:53 PM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »
I have to hear more in private where that book comes from and who put the interesting article in it... ;)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2006, 04:46:51 PM »
On a barely related note to the article I posted:

Here (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B06E0D71239F930A25753C1A967948260) is an obituary for the Robert Herring that was mentioned. I wonder how Louis came into contact with him...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 04:51:48 PM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2006, 06:47:11 AM »
Well, do you mean the pic from 94? They were still very young there, as I see, but nice. Unfortuntaly a bit small the picture, would be interested to get a bigger version...there is also one more  picture of Caroline from 02. I try to look for bigger versions...

Offline Dmitry Russian

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:51 AM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:53:05 AM by Svetabel »
This is Drako Malfoy. This is my most favorite hero.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »
Wonderful site with wonderful portrait pictures of Charles Napoleon in the Lutetia Hotel! I´ve never seen them!  This man really looks - and is fascinating to me! I wish there were more pictures of his family, but there aren´t  :'(
But doesn´t matter, the pics of Charles are overwhelming...

But, Dmitry, to address you directly, I am wondering a bit, that you always search your such great sites and mention them here (they are really good and not known by me before ;)) even if you have such a bad opinion on Napoleon, which you have expressed on certain other posts here :P

Sorry that I say that so openly, but I´m just a bit curious because of that contradiction. Is it just interest, even if you don´t like the Bonapartes?

If anybody finds pics of little Sophie Bonaparte I would be grateful! (Well, by the time, she is already fourteen!)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2006, 05:42:38 PM »
Here are some more pictures of the Princess Napoléon from 24 Sep 2006:

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
The first two pictures came from Seeger Press and the last one from the Capetian website.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2006, 10:47:42 AM »
Thanks...! The last I already knew, Caroline makes a strange face there, she is more beautiful in reality :D

If you find anything about Sophie, I would be grateful. She is already fourteen by the time, but nobody knows anything about her looking, her education, life and so on. Well, that´s a pity.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
I'm afraid I haven' seen any new pictures of Sophie.

In the meantime, here is another photo:

Prince Jean Christophe, Princesses Beatrice and Caroline at the wedding of the Duke of Calabria on 30 Oct 1998.

Offline Dmitry Russian

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2006, 06:09:48 AM »
I do not like potential political career of Charles-Napoleon. I do not want, that it did political career. For what political career is necessary Charles-Napoleon? I very much am afraid, that Charles-Napoleon can want to stand in presidents of France per 2007. When elections of the French president take place? What candidates will stand in the French presidents? Through what time term of registration of candidates can end? I do not want and very much I am afraid of restoration of " the third empire "
This is Drako Malfoy. This is my most favorite hero.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2006, 10:25:52 AM »
What candidate?Madame Royal.
Je Maintiendrai