Author Topic: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news  (Read 302587 times)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2006, 07:51:50 AM »
Yes that is very interesting how they are related, it´s also very interesting in my opinion that "Plon-Plons" mother Catherine of Württemberg was a direct descendant of the English kings. Her grandmother Augusta was the sister of king George III. of England (both children of Frederik Lewis), who was one of the enemies of emperor Napoleon Bonaparte!  Somewhere this is quite funny, so Prince Napoleon descends from Napoleons brother Jerome and on the other side from the English, who Napoleon hated to much!!! (Fun on St. Helena ;D)

To your question concerning Princess Napoleon and her presence at belgian Royal marriages , I must say at the moment I am not so well imformed what concerns recent ceremonies. Here in Germany material about this topic is very hard to get.
But in the book " La livre de la famille imperiale" there are several examples for formal meetings between Prince Louis Napoleon, his family, and their relatives from Belgium. When the siblings Catherine and Charles were baptized there were also some people of the belgian royal family attending it: S.M. the queen Elisabeth of Belgium for example, and some other members of the family, too. There are some other occasations where they met the Belgian relatives and there are also pictures of them. On page 274 in the mentioned book  there is a picture, where Louis Napoleon and his wife Alix are eating together with the Princess Paola of Belgium, the grand-Duc of Luxembourg, the grandduchess of Luxembourg and some other members of the family of Belgium and Luxembourg.  On the following page there are is a nice coloured picture where the queen Fabiola is walking to together with Prince and Princess Napoleon through the garden at Prangins. Ii is mentioned that the picture was taken by the king of Belgium himself, so he must have been present, too. The other occasions show the Napoleon family with other personalities like the son of the spanish Alfonso III. or politicians of that time. How close the relationship of the Napoleon family to the belgian royal family really was, I do not exactly know, but they must have had quite a good contact. What concerns recent weddings and so on, I try to inform myself a bit more (sometimes not easy with the infos here in Germany)
If you find something concerning this question, I would be interested if you post it here. Sorry that I cannot give you more useful infos now! ;)
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »
Relationship of Jean Christophe Louis Ferdinand Alberic, Prince Napoléon to the reigning sovereigns of Europe.

J-C and King Albert II are 3rd cousins once removed.
J-C and King Harald V are 4th cousins.
J-C and Grand Duke Henri are 4th cousins.
J-C and Queen Elizabeth II are 5th cousins.
J-C and King Carl XVI Gustaf are 5th cousins.
J-C and Queen Margrethe II are 5th cousins.
J-C and Prince Hans Adam II are 5th cousins.
J-C and King Juan Carlos I are 5th cousins once removed.
J-C and Queen Beatrix are 6th cousins.

I couldn't find how Jean and Prince Albert II are related.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »
Jean-Christophe is a 4th cousin once removed of Prince Henri d'Orléans, Comte de Paris.

He is also a 5th cousin of Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martinez.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 04:59:35 PM »
This is indeed a very interesting study what you did! :) :)

And you are very well informed!! :)

For me it´s such a pity that despite of those relationships to important and well known royals, press reports and other infos on Jean Christophe are very rare, whereas other princes and princesses (also at this age, Jean must be now almost twenty) go regularly through the press. I ask myself what is the reason for this not very well known family. Why there are so interesting relations, but nobody is interested in them?
I hardly ever found useful infos or pictures of Jean Christophe. I almost don´t know anything him and about his life! It would interest me: What kind of young man is he? How is his character? Which interests does he have and how does he see his heritage as young man of nineteen? All these things are never to find. Or do you know anything where to find infos on him? I never found anything useful, and it´s a pity, I think.  

And: Thanks, Benjamin, that you make your contributions here!!! ;)
It seems to me there´s at the moment nobody else, who is interested...so THANKS!

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 05:49:52 PM »
Dear Britta,

I'm glad that you liked what I myself only recently found out :). I just thought it would be rather interesting to see how Jean ties in to the other European Royal Families, so I used Leo van de Pas's Genealogics website (http://www.genealogics.org/index.php) plus this quite useful family "relationship" calculator (http://stevemorse.org/relation/calculator.html). It was all quite fun and only took a few hours :D.

Jean-Christophe is related to most of the sovereigns through his great-grandmother, Princess Clementine, however he was related to Juan Carlos, for example, only through his mother Beatrice.

It is quite sad that there is barely any information on Jean-Christophe and his elder sister for that matter. It will be very interesting to see who the pair ends up marrying in the future.

And, Britta, I greatly value your contributions on the subject of the modern Bonapartes. You are an excellent source of information, photos, etc on the subject :). I'm afraid I don't know of any information about Jean :(. Oh well, I'm sure that when he becomes the Prince Napoleon that there will be more information available about him.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2006, 06:48:02 PM »
Jean Christophe and the Prince of Naples are 3rd cousins once removed.
Jean Christophe and ex-King Simeon II are 4th cousins once removed.
Jean Christophe and King Constantine II are 4th cousins once removed.
Jean Christophe and the Duke of Braganza are 4th cousins twice removed.
Jean Christophe and King Michael I are 5th cousins.
Jean Christophe and Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna are 5th cousins.
Jean Christophe and Crown Prince Alexander are 5th cousins once removed.
Jean Christophe and Otto von Habsburg are 5th cousins once removed.
Jean Christophe and Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia are 5th cousins once removed.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2006, 02:45:46 AM »
At the moment I can only say, phantastic information and genealogy studies of you!
I have to do this myself once, I am very impressed , also that you are interested in this!
 At the moment I can´t contribute any better infos!  ;)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 09:34:11 PM »
Just curious, but which parent received custody of the two children when Charles and Beatrice divorced?

And is it known why they divorced?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Benjamin »

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 09:49:11 PM »
Charles Napoléon's aunt, HIH Princess Marie Clothide Eugénie Alberte Laetitia Généviève (1912-1996), who married Count Serge de Witte and had ten children:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
Hello Benjamin, very nice to read again of you :)

Unfortunately I do not know, who got custody of the children, when Charles Napoleon and his wife Beatrice divorced. They divorced in 1989, that means in other words, when Caroline was nine and her brother Jean Christ. only three! I have no information about who took care of the children then.
But mother Beatrice has a chief position in some interesting historical events and organisation, especially one of Hughues Capet (there are special internetpages about these celebreties, I have to look up the clear expression) and there where several festivals over years where she appeared with her daughter. The son was never with her on those festivals (so it seems to me) as there are no pictures of him. To me it appears (but only carefully supposed) that he relationship of Caroline and her mother was very good and close after the divorce of the parents  (she appeared so often togehter with her)
I think, Charles got his own way then? In 1996 he married the civil Corsican Francoise Valliccioni.
One question:
You have sent a nice and very small picture of Charles Napoleon, Sophie and Francoise together. I have never seen the family together! Where did you get this??? It would interest me a lot. On the official site of Charles Napoleon this picture is not there, is it?

Yes, I know the picture of Clothilde, which you have sent. It is very nice, I have bought this postcard and have a reproduction at home. She was 18 there in 1930 and for me she is almost the "image" of her grandmother Clothilde (the same name!), the mother of her father Victor Napoleon!
Of the ten children I know only pictures of two, and one of this is not very clear. Baudoin the Witt is the famous owner of the menoir "Pommerie", which has just opened as a very interesting museum about the napoloenic heritage (The must have inheritated a lot and this is all to see for publicity now). I have written to him because of my interest, but he hardly got my mails and answered only oncee (you must think I am bit crazy to write to different people of the Bonaparte family, but usually a contact is very hard).
Jerome de Witt is a famous swiss clock maker, there is also an interesting page. I will try to send an image here. His niece Laetitia de Witt has a doctor-position at the Sorbonne, at the institute about Napoleonic history and he has recently published an interesting research work about her ansistor Victor Napoleon....!
Yes I have painted many of the Bonapartes, even Charles Napoleon, but the picture is not so good, the children are coming later. I also draw many other people, so I did not have the time until now. :)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2006, 01:13:45 PM »
Hello Britta,

The picture is from Royauté 2. You are right, it isn't found on Charles's website.

Indeed I just found that website that you are talking about that has Beatrice of Bourbon-Sicilies on it. I'll post some of the pictures here so others can see them.

That is indeed a very nice picture of Marie-Clothide. Don't you think that she is a bit prettier than her grandmother though?

Thanks for all the information on the de Witt family :).

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2006, 01:39:26 PM »
Yes, you are right, especially on this picture Clothilde is very beautiful and more beautiful than her granny. But around the eyes she´s very similar, especially if you compare her with her mother you don´t see that much resemblence to her (in my opinion), but to her grandmother from her fathers side. On child -pictures Clothilde almost looks like the "old" Clothilde to me, not that much her brother. But yes, she is more pretty, this is also my opinion.
Do you have any pictures of her when she was older? I don´t have any.  ::)
Whereas Louis is often mentioned in old point de Vue magazines, I have never found anything on Clothilde de Witt.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:53:41 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »
Pictures of the ex-wife of the Prince Napoléon:

The Princesses Anne and Béatrice de Bourbon-Sicilies with the Duchesse de La Rochefoucauld at the Soirée Louis XV in 1997

Princess Béatrice de Bourbon-Sicilies, Madame la Comtesse de Paris, and on the far right Queen Fadila of Egypt (Princess Fadila since 1999) at the Soirée Hugues Capet in 1996

Madame la Comtesse de Paris, Princesse Béatrice de Bourbon-Sicilies, Prince Michel d'Orléans, and Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orléans at the Soirée Henri IV in 1994

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »
Sorry some damage with my PC-connection :-[

Hopefully you can get it fixed ;).

And I'm afraid I don't know of any adult pictures of Marie-Clothide :(. Maybe you could contact one of her descendants and get one?

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »
Béatrice de Bourbon-Sicilies with her mother the Duchess of Castro:

I like this photo:

Both pictures are from the 6th Anniversary of the L'Association Unité Capétienne in 2000.