Author Topic: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news  (Read 308899 times)

Offline Dmitry Russian

• View Profile
Re: Imperial France: House Bonaparte news
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »
Is it really size of these last two pictures? These pictures seem to be small and dull.
This is Drako Malfoy. This is my most favorite hero.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »
Here is a link to a catalogue which I think is about Laure Napoleon's artistic work:
http://www.galerievonbartha.com/catalogues_07.htm
-------------
Possibly the website of Charlotte Dualé, granddaughter of Louis Napoléon:
http://www.bonjourcharlotte.com/
--------------
Link to a picture of the Prince Napoléon:
http://a-p-n.skyrock.com/photo.html?id_article=651903882
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:03:00 PM by Benjamin »

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 02, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 03, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »
Hello Seth,

Very interesting researching work! I did not know the picture of the young Prince that big. I only knew a similar pic in a smaller version. His face really turns out a lot after his father's, especially around the nose, mouth etc, only the very blue eyes are from the mother, which is evident. Wonderful young man, I really don't know how much is written about him in royal magazines, but I suppose it's not a lot.
The site about Laure cannot show up (or is it only my PC?), and about Charlotte, I don`t know, if it is her, or only a person with the same name. the photos on her page, if they're her, show her very blonde, so I don't know it for sure.... I try to find out more... ;)
Again thanks for the links. It's always interesting to find more about that fascinating family. ;)
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 03, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »
Hmm...that's strange, the link no longer works for me either if I directly click on it. However, if one uses google one can access the site:
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%22Laure+Napoleon%22+Galerie+von+Bartha+&meta=

Here is another site that seems to be about an exhibition of Laure's work:
http://82.234.168.129/archives/napoleon.html
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:56:23 AM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 03, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »
Good link. I did not know anything about any at works of Laure, it was completely new to me!! I will have a closer look at the sites tomorrow. Now it's a bit late. Unfortunately at the moment I have internet connection problems, because of a changement of the provider...more in private...

Thanks ;)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 03, 2007, 11:39:07 PM »
The American Bonapartes

Mrs. Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte (nee Blanche Pierce) in 1941

Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte, 1934

Source: Gettyimages

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 04, 2007, 06:42:20 AM »
Wonderful !!!! :D

I never saw these pictures, even when I was searching a lot at getty images..strange.... ::)

I have indeed pictures of all American Bonapartes, they were once sent to my by the Maryland Historical Society, but I could order them only as copies. And the quality is not always the best. But I only have a picture of Jerome Napoleon Charles, the last of the Bonaparte Pattersons (on your second picture), when he was a child. One when he was a baby and one when he was a bit older, he is wearing a cooking dress there (a bit funny). I would like to send them here, but at the moment I do only have internet at my little Notebook, whereas the pictures are in my other PC.  It's a pity that the line of the Bonaparte Pattersons died out in 1945 with the death of Jerome Napoleon Charles, who did not have any children. There is an interesting book by Mario Marquet "The American Bonapartes", I saw it once or twice at the German National Library, but until now I did not order it at any bookshop, because the most bookshops don't have it anymore. But I am still interested in getting it once and reading it. Do you maybe know it or have read it? It's a book which tells the story of the American Branch of the Bonapartes with some sense of humour and not so strongly scientifically...so were the critics on the back.
Thanks again for sending the photos. On the first one, so I suppose, there is  Blanche with another man, but not with her husband, he is some kind of different, like on the second one: Other features and thinner, similar like on the childphoto, which I have.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 04, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »
The book you mention sounds like it would be very interesting. I think you had posted the title once before, but I never could find a English version of it. In fact, I just searched www.worldcat.org and it's funny but there is no book on the American Bonapartes in English. Apparently the book that you mention, Die amerikanischen Bonapartes, 1803-1945, is the only book dedicated solely to the subject, no? Unless there is one in French...

As to the photos, in the first one Mrs. Bonaparte appears talking with the columnist Cholly Knickerbocker.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
It's really very strange that the book does only exist in German, but not in English. The title would always let me think the other way around...how is it possible? I think I'll buy it as soon as I can, and then tell about the content here. But maybe it could also be possible to read it in German for you, I don't know;)
I've now found the photos at getty imagines. It's strange, because I could swear that I did not find them there before,when I was looking,  but now they are there. But pictures of the last Bonaparte Patterson are really rare, I never found any apart from the picture that you posted and the two that I once has ordered at the Historical Society of Maryland.. ;)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »
There is an interesting book by Mario Marquet "The American Bonapartes", I saw it once or twice at the German National Library, but until now I did not order it at any bookshop, because the most bookshops don't have it anymore. But I am still interested in getting it once and reading it.

I found a copy of the book for 13 euro. Here's the link: http://cgi.choosebooks.com/SESSz156689627711183760668/cgi-bin/n_showitem.cgi?item=1440020291&mono=&lang=en&lo=gr2&uc=us&shp=0&dcurr=USD

And here is another picture of Mr. & Mrs. Jerome Napoleon Bonaparte (mister is on the left) from Corbis:

From the pictures they don't seem to be very interested in one another...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:32:11 PM by Benjamin »

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 08, 2007, 04:12:01 AM »
I have just gotten the chance to return here again and found the wonderful photo... :D
Oh dear, I must have been more than blind in the past that I did not see those pictures, even when surfing quite a lot through sites like getty and corbis... :o

If I see it correctly Mr. Bonaparte does not sit beside his wife, but on the other side of the table, the man next to Mrs. Bonaparte Patterson must be another, or am I not right? I think so.
Yes, they look very distanced here, it`s strange, but maybe it´s in their personality or only in the photo like that. But considering the fact that they didn't have any kids, that impression what we have, could fit ;D ;D

Thanks for mentioning the book. The price is not bad, but the shipping costs are pretty high... :-[
I'll see.

By for no ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 16, 2007, 02:58:28 AM »
Surely, I meant by for now, I hope it was not gotten wrongly.

And yes, the website of Charlotte is really the one of Charles Napoléon´s niece. You`re right ;)

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 16, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
You are right Mr. Bonaparte isn't sitting next to his wife. The lack of children could be explained by the fact that Mrs. Bonaparte was 42 at the time of the marriage (and six years older than husband). But indeed they don't seem like they were a "happily married couple", only my observation though.

Also, the reason the shipping for that book is so high is because it is for shipping to the US ;). Sorry I didn't fix that in the first place. Here is how much it is with shipping to Germany: http://cgi.choosebooks.com/SESSz156689627711183760668/cgi-bin/n_showitem.cgi?item=1440020291&mono=&lang=en&lo=gr2&uc=de&shp=0&dcurr=EUR.

Indeed very glad to here the last bit of information ;D.

Offline Seth Leonard

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 17, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
Here is a passage from The Royal Marriage Market of Europe by Pss Catherine Radziwill, 1916: 

"The late King Leopold was one of the most selfish men alive; he was fond of France and used to spend the greater part of his time there, making rare appearances in Brussels...So strongly was he attached to France as an abode that he became alarmed lest this might be made difficult or unpleasant for him were his daughter to wed the Pretender to the throne of the Bonapartes. Consequently, he forbade Princess Clementine to think of Prince Victor Napoleon, and did all that lay within his power, though without success, to oblige the latter to give up his Brussels residence and, indeed, to leave Belgium. When his daughter implored him to yield to her wishes, and to remember that she had absolutely no one to love or to take care of her, he brutally reminded her that she did not require anything of the kind, and that if she was not content with her present position she could go where she liked. The fact was that the craftly old was glad to find a pretext to quarrel with his children so as to have reason for cutting them out of his will. For this reason he had opposed every marriage offer which they had, and he cursed the Princess Stephanie when she declared that she was going to be united to Count Lonyay. He would have done the same in regard to the Princess Clementine had the latter not been wise in her generation and expressed her willingness to conform to the King's wishes-conduct which obliged him to treat her with some consideration, a concession which he denied to all the other members of his family, whom he bullied and worried in turns.
     The Princess Clementine was somewhat of a diplomat. She knew that her father's health was not of the best, and she armed herself with patience, and made up her mind to wait until her father was dead and she became free to do whatever she liked. The heavens proved merciful, because the King succumbed a few months later to the disease of which he had long been suffering, and though quarrels without number followed concerning his inheritance, his daughters found themselves at liberty to shape their lives according to their own wishes.
     The Princess Clementine at last married Prince Victor Napoleon Bonaparte at the castle of Moncalieri, near Turin, the residence of his mother, the saintly Princess Clotilde of Savoy, about ten months after the death of Leopold II.
     The successor of the latter had given a cordial assent to a union upon which he knew the happiness of his cousin depended. The Princess returned to Brussels, where she settled with her husband in the lovely house which the latter had built for himself in the Avenue Louise. Two children, a daughter and a son, the heir to all the glories and all the misfortunes of the Napoleonic dynasty, were born to them, and husband and wife remained on the best of terms with King Albert and his consort. They were quite content with the life they had mapped out for themselves, until the war drove them out of their home and obliged them to seek a refuge in England, whose hospitable shores received them with a cordiality one meets nowhere outside of Great Britian.
     In England they found themselves affectionately welcomed by the aged Empress Eugenie, who was very fond of the Princess Clementine...With that wonderful vitality which makes her such an extraordinarily attractive woman, even in her old age, she had interested herself from its earliest beginnings in the romance of her nephew with the youngest daughter of King Leopold, and she had done her best to further its cause, until at last it had culminated in happiness. Eugenie was always somewhat of a matchmaker; she kept an attentive eye on the marriages of all the members of the Royal families of Europe, and was always glad  when fate allowed her to further an alliance...She always had a warm regard for the late Queen of the Belgians, Marie Henriette, and an equal affection was lavished on the latter's child, who, on her side, always gave the widowed Empress a loyal devotion. Princess Clementine never forgot that Eugenie was the widow of the head of the race to which her husband belonged, and that she represented a world of great things vanished into eternity, after having seemed to be eternal to so many people. Few suspected that the second Empire was destined to crumble as completely as the first."