Author Topic: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!  (Read 97765 times)

Alixz

Re: Welcome to the IMPROVED Forum!
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2006, 08:12:47 AM »
grandduchessella - you are so right!

We have to remember that this is not a private chat room and that what we post is visable to anyone and everyone.

For myself, I will apologize for any and all indescretions.

We must remember that our negative posts could give a new visiter the wrong impression of what we want to accomplish here.

This site is so valuable a learning tool.

FA, thank you for your kind words and your understanding.  To all of the moderators, thank you, too.
What you do here is amazing!

Alixz   :)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2006, 10:27:57 AM »
Some hard numbers on visitors just to the Forum. There is always an average of 45 people here at any given time. We average about 1,000 users a DAY, these are different users, not including some people who come back several times a day.

The Alexander Palace Main page has ONE MILLION users every month.

It is quite an understatement to say this is no private chatroom. Try to remember while posting that what you write will be read, quite literally,by tens of thousands of strangers over the next few months.

:o

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
Very true, FA.

I think it's great that you are now locking posts in as permanent after 3 days. On most other boards I'm on, it's only an hour, or one day. On one board, you can edit up to an hour, but never delete. People need to know that they must take responsibility for what they say, because, like you posted, it is out there for thousands of strangers to read. Don't post anything you don't want to go on record as saying. It isn't right for people to come back and 'mass delete' everything they have said, then deny it, and accuse others of lying on them for having seen it. Everyone should have their posts locked in as permanent, and there should even be a time limit on editing. People can reconsider within the first hours or day, then it stays. This should make everyone more careful about what they say and do here.

Alixz

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2006, 08:15:47 AM »
FA   Every now and then a poster will mention something like Annie just did about making the posts permanent after so many days, or another time someone mentioned reserving space to reply --- I never know about these things and I was just wondering where this information is listed?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »
In the "new and different" thread here in Forum announcements

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2006, 09:19:43 AM »
In the "new and different" thread here in Forum announcements
click here for New & Different thread!
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
The new site design is killer but is the forum running painfully slow for anyone/everyone else? I saw a little prior mention here of it but none since and mine is taking far too long for serious browsing. If it's a major problem may I suggest a separate thread for it.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2006, 05:00:18 PM »
The new site design is killer but is the forum running painfully slow for anyone/everyone else? I saw a little prior mention here of it but none since and mine is taking far too long for serious browsing. If it's a major problem may I suggest a separate thread for it.
Here's a thread about it:
Forum slow!
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »
I saw that but I was under the impression that was fixed. At any rate my visits have been sporadic but I didn't notice any slowdown till yesterday, so I figured it was tied to the redesign somehow (afaik that just happened). At any rate I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one having problems, since I'm sure if it's 'an issue' it'll get resolved eventually.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2006, 07:03:37 PM »
No, its gone slow again for everyone and we have no idea why this time. Walt is looking into it. Hopefully we can fix it soon, its slow even for me.

Offline JD

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2006, 01:07:15 PM »
Well I hope I'm not being premature but it seems to be running a LOT better already.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2006, 05:51:03 AM »
Am I doing something wrong?
After I have visited an "Unread" posting, when I return to the homepage, the checkmark doesn't automatically update to "Read" as it used to.  I have to hit "Refresh" on my Browser toolbar, and then the arrow changes color indicating "Read."  Is there some control or preference I need to change?  Are others having this same issue?
BobG

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2006, 01:07:07 PM »
Bob

the reason for that is the new software stores the previous page in your cache memory for faster loading, so it won't "update" unless you refresh the page or click on the home button to reload the updated page.

Alixz

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2006, 04:39:55 PM »
I simply love the new home page :)  In the old one the picture of Alix in the background made her look like an old crone getting ready to cast an evil spell.

I just watched the film of the Feodorensky Sopor 1912.  It is wonderful :D

It kept stopping about every 3 to 5 seconds on my player.  Is it supposed to do that?

Offline Imperial.Opal

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2006, 06:10:32 PM »
I really like the new home site page, especially the changing photos,brilliant idea and design.WELL DONE  :) :) :)  ;)