Author Topic: FRENCH ROYAL TOMBS  (Read 8939 times)

Offline LORENZO

• FERT
    • View Profile
FRENCH ROYAL TOMBS
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »
Has anybody some photo of the Bourbon's Tombs? Thank you!

Agneschen

Re: FRENCH ROYAL TOMBS
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:46:56 PM »
I have some pictures which I have taken in the Saint Denis basilica (necropolis of the Kings of France)near Paris. Need to scan them & post them.

Offline LORENZO

• FERT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
I'd like to see them! I'm really courious about the Royal tombs, thank you!!!  ;)

palatine

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:35:46 PM »
Here is a link to a site that includes pictures of some of the royal tombs at Saint-Denis:  

http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&FScemeteryid=1974848
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by palatine »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 10:35:55 AM »
The book- Fleur des Lys by Joy Law has pictures of most of the French tombs.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline LouisXX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »
Well how morbid is this subject! But seriously, due to the fact that I am not able to travel to France, and the final resting place of some of the most respected people in Europe (not to mention some of my role models) was ransacked during the revolution and that terrible council of "gentlemen" ordered the royal relics dumped into a common pit, thus making the placement of whatever relics were not identifiable (upon their restoration to the church) into an ossuary nessecary, my question is, what does it look like?  Can you see the wall in which they were buried behind?  Does anyone have a picture of this?  I know it seems morbid, but it would be nice to know to what extent Louis XVIII took when bestowing honor to their final resting place. I imagine it was not much due to the manner in which the caskets were placed on iron trestles in the first place, and huge mausoleums were not the general consensus with these monarchs (there are exceptions) but to what extent did their last place of slumber get recognized? If anyone has any insight, do share! 
Courage!  Think you that now when all my sufferings are to end it should fail me?

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:39 AM »
They are in St. Denis, Paris. You have to go down into the crypt, which is not always open.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Remio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:52:19 AM »
Good morning, there are other places where are placed some rests of the royal family :

the duc de Berry's heart in Rosny in a very beautiful chapel. there is also royal chapel of Dreux which is the necropol of the Orleans family (there the link which enumerates the members of the family which are in the necropol : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_royale_de_Dreux )

Offline pers

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »

Offline LouisXX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:22:55 PM »
 ;D That was exactly what I needed! Thanks Pers
Courage!  Think you that now when all my sufferings are to end it should fail me?

dolgoruky18

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:24:27 AM »
Yes, there is as I remember a dark, badly lit wall on which there is a complete list of those originally buried in St. Denis. The bodies were exposed for some time on being exhumed  -  that of Henri IV was particularly well-preserved. Also, relics and bones were dispersed before being thrown into a common pit. These relics are still said to exist in private collections in France and elsewhere.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 02:07:07 AM »
I would like to read something on this:The bodies were exposed for some time on being exhumed  -  that of Henri IV was particularly well-preserved. Also, relics and bones were dispersed before being thrown into a common pit. These relics are still said to exist in private collections in France and elsewhere.

May I ask if you remember your source? I would like to read further on this.

dolgoruky18

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 04:23:53 AM »
You are quite right to ask for a source, but at this moment I cannot supply you with one. The memoirs of Chateaubriand have been published in French and English and they speak of the recovery of Marie-Antoinette's remains. There are a number of websites devoted to the details of the French Revolution and an application for information on this subject would no doubt provide results. The records of Louis XVIII's commission into the re-burial of the Royal remains after 1815 are still in existence. What I can recall of the descriptions of what happened when the tombs were destroyed was contained in the diary of an eyewitness.

The Royal hearts preserved in the Church of Val de Grace were dispersed at the same time. Some were burned, others sold to the painter Martin Drolling who ground them up and used them in his painting "The Interior of a Kitchen. One at least, that of Louis XIV, reached England but, in a totally bizarre incident, was swallowed by an eccentric professor named Porson. This story was, I think, recorded by Edith Sitwell in ner book "English Eccentrics".

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 04:21:21 AM »
The Royal hearts preserved in the Church of Val de Grace were dispersed at the same time. Some were burned, others sold to the painter Martin Drolling who ground them up and used them in his painting "The Interior of a Kitchen. One at least, that of Louis XIV, reached England but, in a totally bizarre incident, was swallowed by an eccentric professor named Porson. This story was, I think, recorded by Edith Sitwell in ner book "English Eccentrics".

This is horrifying....I had no idea....I'll have to get that Book and if you remember the name of the other one that was in the Diary of an Eyewitness let me know.....I have read several primary sources of this period but I hadn't pursued this part of it.