Author Topic: portraits (paintings) of Nikolai II Aleksandrovich  (Read 163334 times)

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: portraits (paintings) of Nikolai II Aleksandrovich
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
The one on Tobolsk/Yekaterinburg was a copy, and it has Alexei's portrait on the bottom corner.
It too exists today but it was for sure with the IF in 1918. Could it had been taken from them after the photo was taken?

This copy of Serov's painting with Alexei's portrait in the bottom right corner is ascribed to Mikhail Victorovich Rundaltsov by the State Hermitage Museum: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/fcgi-bin/db2www/quickSearch.mac/gallery?selLang=English&tmCond=serov.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:04:40 AM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline DonaAntonia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2009, 04:09:28 PM »
Yes, Helen, but could it had survived and brought back to St. Petersburg? Mystery to me...

«I am sometimes afraid of being so attached to my Country.
Only now, after leaving, do I realize how much I love the Portuguese.»

Princess Antonia (letter to her brother, King Luiz, 1887)

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »
Yes, Helen, but could it had survived and brought back to St. Petersburg? Mystery to me...

Yes, you are right, it had survived and brought back to St. Petersburg...please, take a look to this post of Sarushka...

Probably you're thinking of this image of Nicholas & Alexandra's bedroom wall at the Ipatiev house in Ekaterinburg:

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
Yes this is the Serov portrait, which hung in Empress Alexandra's silver drawing room in the Winter Palace.
She did not like it very much as she considered it too "modern". It hung very high up to the left of the fireplace.
( See Private rooms of the Winter Palace )
I wonder how it moved from the Winter Palace to the Ipatiev House and back ?
I never knew that they took pictures from the Winter Palace to Tobolsk, or am I mistaken ?

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #201 on: April 29, 2009, 09:29:29 AM »
Probably they took portraits and photos from the Alexander Palace to Tobolsk and after to the Ipatiev house, but you said that this portrait of Serov was in the Winter Palace, right?...and so, now I have a doubt...if the original was in the Winter Palace, is it possible that what we see in the photo of the N&A bedroom wall at the Ipatiev house it's a copy of the original?...

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:42 AM »
I have double checked,the Serov portrait hung in the private drawing room of the Empress in the Winter Palace, and not the Silver Drawing Room, my mistake ! The Silver Drawing Room was, I think, a very empty and cold looking room, and did not have any personal items in it. If you have Greg King's book " The Court of the Last Tsar" , it is on page 181, and as I wrote, was hung to the left of the fireplace. I cannot find it in any photos of the Alexander Palace rooms. If the Empress disliked it, as she did, I wonder why they took it with them ? Perhaps because it is quite small in comparison to most of the others which were quite big. Perhaps there was a copy or a print of it at the Alexander palace after all.  Perhaps some Royal portraits were automatically duplicated, for hanging in different palaces. I cannot imagine why though.
The pictures of the private rooms seem to have disappeared, or have been removed, (See private rooms of the Winter Palace)
I seem to remember that this portrait was completed around the time they moved to the Winter Palace, after leaving the Anitchkov.

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #204 on: May 01, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »
Thank you very much for the excellent explanation!, I didn't know that some portraits were duplicated...maybe, there were two copies of the portrait of Nicholas II in question, and so my doubt is confirmed, my hypothesis is that this portrait was originally in the private drawing room of the Empress in the Winter Palace, and after was made a copy of the same portrait for the Alexander Palace...so, this copy was transported to Tobolsk, and after in the Ipatiev house, where it was found.

The pictures of the private rooms seem to have disappeared, or have been removed, (See private rooms of the Winter Palace)

Is this possible that they were stolen during the revolution?...or worse, destroyed?

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
My apologies, I did not expalin clearly. What I am saying is that the photographs previously posted in this forum of the private rooms, seem to have dissapeared, not the paintings. There were photographs of a number of rooms, one of which was the private drawing room of Empress Alexandra, and had this portrait on the wall. ( probably the original) The one in Tobolsk  / Ekaterinberg must have been a copy.
I bought a print of this portrait on Ebay, and it hangs on the wall behind my bed. The prints have a small drawing of Alexei in the bottom right hand corner.
The other paintings in her drawing room looked very boring, considerting that she probably had thousands to choose from.

RomanovsFan4Ever

« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »
Oh don't worry!  :)...now I have understood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a French journal

Alixz

« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
I just wanted to explain that as the mods are doing spring cleaning, we find links to pictures and drawings and portraits that have been broken.  It may be that the poster has closed his/her photo bucket (or other on line service) account or simply moved the photo and forgot to put in a new link.

When we find a missing or broken link, we delete the whole post unless it also contained other information that could stand alone without the photo there to illustrate what the poster was talking about.

Sometimes whole series of posts have to be removed as the poster is no longer a member of the forum and has broken all links to the subject matter that he/she posted.

Then we also have to remove all responses to the missing photos because they also make no sense without the original picture to look at.

One more place to look.  If it was a picture and was posted in the portraits thread, (or vice verse) try looking for it in the picture thread.  I have tried to separate actual portraits from photos.  I probably made some mistakes along the way.  Please feel free to pm me if you find any thing that you think I should change.

Alixz

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
Thanks for your explanation re the missing photographs of the Winter Palace Rooms. I think that this forum is a kind of "archive" of wonderful old photographs etc, and that they stay permanently for people to see, because someone went to so much trouble finding them in the 1st place, and sharing pictures from sources not generally available to most of us. So to see a photo of Alexandra's private Drawing Room is a bit of history, and if its gone, its gone ! This forum has become a bit like a private reference library of Imperial Russia ! But I suppose that space is probably a constraint. I dont think the photo I was referring to is in the Portraits post.
Can't you dump all these wonderful photographs in a sort of alphabetical reference section, even if you remove the repetitave stuff. The photographs are just so valuable in a historical sense.
Members refer to them constantly, only to find that they are missing.
Also I know for a fact that this forum and its photo's are referenced by people from all over the world for research purposes, and  has become so popular, simply because it contains the greatest concentration of information on the subject on the Internet, if not in the world.
My apologies, but I think its a bit like tearing pictures out of a book.
Can't you make another plan ? I LOVE THE PHOTOGRAPHS.  The forum will not be the same if you keep removing them.

Please dont take offence.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
There is a whole section for pictures of Nicholas (and for the rest of the family), so picture wont be dumped, just moved ;)

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button