Author Topic: George and Marina, Duke and Duchess of Kent  (Read 240645 times)

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: George and Marina, Duke and Duchess of Kent
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »
there was athought that he would make a King of Poland in 1930's and he spoke Polish

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »
I don't think there is necessarily anything 'mysterious' about the Duke's death. The aircraft he was travelling in flew into a hill in bed weather. This is not of itself terribly unusual, or wasn't in the days before large aircraft were fitted with air to ground radar. Throughout WW2 the RAF had a huge casuality rate from flying accidents of various kinds.

I do remember an article about the accident in Aeroplane Monthly a few years ago, and will try to find it among my father's back numbers when I visit him in the next couple of weeks. As I remember, everyone on board the aircraft was killed except for the rear gunner, which to my mind doesn't suggest a plot.

It's rather like the death of General Sikorsky - entirely explicable as a straightforward accident, but conspiracy theories continue (the last I heard was that there were plans to exhume Sikorsky's body to see whether he was shot). The best example of conspiracy theories which flourish in defiance of all evidence is, of course, Diana Princess of Wales.

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
Well...I think there was mystery in George's last flight. The documentary about him did indicate that was a secret mission. Just like the Princes's final thought on their mother (Diana's)'s death. They may never know the whole truth about what really happened, but have to accept that and go on.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 22, 2009, 06:06:55 AM »
I do not really know which of his two parents Prince George was the closest. King George V was known to be a father very hard and very demanding while the Queen Mary, less severe, was so distant and undemonstrative towards her children. But this does not exclude the love that the two sovereigns still had to carry their offspring, even if they did not know the voice.

Offline Alexander1917

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
I think QM was a bit nearer, caused on sharing the same interests like arts, arranging rooms and things like this

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 22, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
'Well...I think there was mystery in George's last flight. The documentary about him did indicate that was a secret mission.'

But how reliable was the documentary (which I haven't seen)? Channel 4 also produced a documentary alleging that Unity Mitford had a child by Hitler, which can, at best, be considered unlikely in the extreme, and for a whole variety of reasons.

Quite apart from anything else, if someone was needed for a secret mission, surely the Duke of Kent, as a former drug addict who had reputedly had affairs with both sexes and was hardly known for his discretion, makes an unlikely candidate. If one of the king's brothers was needed for some secret mission (why?) the Duke of Gloucester would surely have been a better choice.

Ann

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 23, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
I think QM was a bit nearer, caused on sharing the same interests like arts, arranging rooms and things like this

Yes, I think in general, Queen Mary was a little closer to his children, including the Duke of Windsor. Perhaps George V had more affinity with his only daughter, the Princess Royal.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »
The documentary was called "The Queen's lost uncle". You can view it on youtube. I found it fasinating and quite reliable. I spoke with the guy who wrote the book on the Hesse connection with Hitler (mind you the book was brokered by Rainer of Hesse and co-operated with the HRH Duke of Edinburgh !) and he agreed with me that due to the closeness of his relations with the German Royal Houses, he was a good candidate as a good between wityh the Nazis. Princess Marina's sister Elizabeth Countess Toerring was named in more than one book as belonging to Hitler's inside group. Glousester was his little "Scottish" wife is not a good candidate at all, also he was rumoured to be a drunk.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »
I will have to watch this programme before I can comment on its reliability.

As far as I'm aware the evidence for the Duke of Kent's drug addiction was rather stronger than that for the Duke of Gloucester being a drunkard.

Ann

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
Do see it and judge. The documentary was also supported and commented by the last author to do a book on Marina, Sophie Weston.

George's international connections in Germany is the best asset he has in the contribution before the full scale war. Anyway he was actually clean by the time of his marriage to Marina. Gloucester remained a drunk througout his marriage...

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Marina with her young children in 1948 :

Marina and her daughter Alexandra, 1946:

Marina with her three children, George, Edward and Alexandra :

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
iun the first one the eldest boy looks a lot like Peter of Yugoslavia *0*

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
Not really...without the thick eye brows...and dark looks.

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
i meant to a child Peter

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button