Author Topic: Princess Diana  (Read 250690 times)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Princess Diana
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »
Tell us what you really think TB.  ;D

Apart from Louis, all his children have quite modern names, don't they?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

emeraldeyes1969

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
I think that 'Kitty' is actually a nickname for Katherine.  I don't know where I read that though.

Offline jehan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2006, 03:30:33 PM »
I think that 'Kitty' is actually a nickname for Katherine.  I don't know where I read that though.

So is "Katya" actually.  (Russian version)

I wonder if there is confusion in that house, with 2 such similar names?
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in. 
(leonard Cohen)

emeraldeyes1969

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2006, 03:37:48 PM »
Sorry, I should have expressed myself more clearly. 

Kitty is a dimunitive for Katherine.  I didn't read that anywhere, but it is true.  :)

Katherine could be the eldest girl's given name.  I read that somewhere, but it may not be true.  :-\

emeraldeyes1969

« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
I wonder if there is confusion in that house, with 2 such similar names?

I think that the daughters' names would be one of the lesser causes of confusion in that household, what with the coming and going of countesses and people beating up your dad... :o

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
What about Sarah and Jane, Diana and Charles' older sisters? Have they been divorced?

Viscount

« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2006, 05:48:09 PM »
Sorry, I should have expressed myself more clearly. 

Kitty is a dimunitive for Katherine.  I didn't read that anywhere, but it is true.  :)

Katherine could be the eldest girl's given name.  I read that somewhere, but it may not be true.  :-\

Im afraid to say that it isnt true......  Lord Spencer's first child was registered as "Kitty Eleanor SPENCER" and not Katherine and Ive just checked the registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages online to ensure that there is no confusion - if that helps...  Their third child - The Lady Katya Amelia SPENCER - is known in the family as Amelia.

The Viscount

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
What about Sarah and Jane, Diana and Charles' older sisters? Have they been divorced?

Neither are divorced.  Sarah is married to Neil McCorquodale and Jane to Robert Fellowes.  Both have been married more than 25 years.

Viscount

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

The Lady Sarah McCorquodale (nee SPENCER) married in 1980 - Neil Edmund McCorquodale.  They have three children - Emily Jane (b 1983); George Edmund (b 1984) and Celia Rose (b 1989).

The Lady Fellowes (nee The Lady Jane SPENCER) married in 1978 - The Rt Hon Sir Robert Fellowes, GCB, GCVO, QSO, later created The Lord Fellowes, of Shotesham in the County of Norfolk.  They have three children - The Hon. Laura Jane (b 1980); The Hon. Alexander Robert (b 1983) and The Hon. Eleanor Ruth (b 1985).  As we know Lord Fellowes was Private Secretary to HM The Queen 1990-1999 and although they remain married - the obvious problems with Charles and Diana and a question of family loyalty or duty clearly put a strain on the Fellowes marriage as it is rumoured that they practically live separate lives and hardly speak to each other.

Sir Robert (as he was then) was in an invidious position.... brother in law to Diana, and yet Private Secretary to HM....... interestingly I note (which I didnt know until very recently) is that Fellowes was not only brother in law to Diana, but he is also a cousin of Sarah, Duchess of York!!!!!  His mother - Jane was the daughter of Brigadier-General AFH Ferguson (who was grandfather of Sarah, Duchess of York).

The Viscount

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2006, 05:39:11 AM »
Robert Fellows and Major Ronald Furgeson (Sarah's Father) are first cousins.

Tampaay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

ferngully

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2006, 04:27:43 AM »
I don't believe there's any such thing as a "marriage doomed from the start".  I think it depends on how much the couple puts into it and how determined they are that they will succeed no matter what.  Both made mistakes but Charles more than Diana, in my opinion, thought the marriage would just "happen". 

and becuase charles replied less than enthusiastically from the start when asked about it, i will assume it went downhill from there. hence my pessemistic viewpoint of the situation

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2006, 03:17:12 PM »
She had some affairs during her marriage, after her separation as well. But Prince Harry really resembles the Spencers, to a great degree. As for Dodi, I don't know, and I don't think we ever will know, but it seemed more like a fling than anything serious.

Offline Romanov_fan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2006, 03:50:36 PM »
I think she is missed, although she is part of history now, and it has been nine years. How quickly that has gone by, and how much the world has missed her prescence in it. She was lovely both inside and outside. She was a glamourous princess in lovely gowns; but she was also later in her life, a strong woman with knowledge and care about people. She used her own life, with it's sorrows despite the fact she was royalty to make her want to help others. She was also a fashion icon, a great beauty. I have been interested in her since I was about four. I was shocked when she died, and saddened. One wonders what she might have done, but what she will always do is to be a glorious memory.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
I don't think there was any chance that Diana would have married Dodi Fayed.

He was by all accounts a pleasant person and a good listener but at 42, his father was still running his life for him and that is not the sign of the strong character Diana would have been looking for in a long term partner.

In a very short time frame, Dodi clearly demonstrated, and with tragic results, that he could not cope at all with the huge press attention his relationship with Diana attracted and I don't think a man like him could have adjusted to that at all on a permanent basis.

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
How long were Dodi and Diana even together? It seemed more like a summer fling than anything significant. Diana's number one priority were her boys and the fact that William is going to be king one day was foremost in her mind. I don't think she would have married someone like Dodi, a known playboy, that could have caused embarassment to the monarchy.