Author Topic: Princess Diana  (Read 250686 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Diana
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2006, 03:48:23 PM »
I don't believe there's any such thing as a "marriage doomed from the start".  I think it depends on how much the couple puts into it and how determined they are that they will succeed no matter what.  Both made mistakes but Charles more than Diana, in my opinion, thought the marriage would just "happen". 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
The only way Harry (IMO) resembles Hewitt is in the reddish hair which is also common in Diana's family. I think that he is showing more of a resemblance to the younger Prince Philip the older he gets. It was apparently (again, IMO) even as a baby. Wasn't there some nonsense about a DNA test that hit the papers in the last year?

As to affairs, certainly Hewitt during the marriage. Who was the guy that she supposedly made all those phone calls to? No the Squidgey ones but ones that were supposedly bordering on harassment? I think that was post-separation but pre-divorce. Hasnat Khan was the one that many of her friends say she had real feelings for. The Dodi 'true love affair' that Mr Al Fayed keeps putting out seems to me to just have been a summer fling that would've come to an end eventually--it seemed more a rebound from the Khan romance.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2006, 12:18:45 AM »
The one she allegedly made the phone calls to was Oliver Hoare. The transcript of an interview she did is here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/royals/interviews/bbc2.html. She says that she found out that a young boy made most of the phone calls.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:21:11 AM by Taren »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2006, 03:49:13 AM »
The Dodi 'true love affair' that Mr Al Fayed keeps putting out seems to me to just have been a summer fling that would've come to an end eventually--it seemed more a rebound from the Khan romance.

Completely, I don't believe it was anything more than a fling. It was Al Fayed that starteed all this gossip about a marriage. Why, they hardly knew each other plus Dodi was already engaged to an american girl whom he soon dropped!! They just loved her status.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »
I think it was just fun for her. He took her on yachts and vacations and bought her nice gifts. After all the turmoil of the previous years, it must've been a nice change and flattering. Still, Dodi was a known playboy and probably not the greatest marriage material--especially for someone who'd had a cheating husband once already. Plus, was that the lifestyle that a former Pss of Wales, and mother of the future King, would want to enter into permanently? She also seemed to be moving into a more serious phase of her life, with her work with landmines especially, that I can't see Dodi sharing.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »
A bit off-topic but has anyone heard (as reported on the BRMB) that Earl Spencer has left his 2nd wife? Is it true or just a rumor?

Viscount

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2006, 02:12:16 PM »
A bit off-topic but has anyone heard (as reported on the BRMB) that Earl Spencer has left his 2nd wife? Is it true or just a rumor?

From Daily Mail (3rd Sept)....

Earl Spencer has split up with his second wife after five years of marriage, it was reported yesterday. Charles, the younger brother of Princess Diana, allegedly walked out on wife Caroline, 39, a former nursery school teacher.

Last night, Countess Spencer was said to be ‘devastated’ by the split, as she returned to the couple’s £4.5million London townhouse with their two children. She did not speak as she rushed into the property with Edmund, two, and four-month-old Lara.

An employee refused to confirm if Earl Spencer was in residence at his Althorp estate in Northamptonshire, and the aristocrat failed to return calls about the break-up.

But one close friend of the Countess said: ‘Caroline is heartbroken. She was shattered by his decision to up and leave. And let’s not forget they have two young children.’ Earl Spencer’s first marriage, to former model Victoria Lockwood, lasted just six years, and the couple divorced in 1996. Yesterday, another source claimed tensions between the Spencers grew following an extraordinary incident in May, when the Earl, 42, was savagely beaten by his former best friend Darius Guppy. The incident, at Guppy’s South African home, was triggered by allegations that Earl Spencer had tried to seduce his wife Patricia in the 1990s. Guppy, a fellow Old Etonian, was serving a jail sentence for gems fraud at the time. Earl Spencer vehemently denies the allegation. At a dinner party at Althorp in mid-1995, attended by Mrs Guppy and two woman friends of his then wife, Victoria, Earl Spencer is said to have made advances towards all three woman.  They rejected his attentions and Mrs Guppy vowed to keep the incident to herself.

But last April she heard the other two women had mentioned their alleged encounter to a third party and decided to tell her husband, before he found out from somebody else.
Guppy then lured Spencer to his home for the confrontation, which left the Earl with a black eye, cut nose and bruised cheek. He later claimed these were ‘cricket injuries’.  The Guppys refused to comment yesterday. A source told the News of the World: ‘Caroline was devastated that Charles was drawn into this saga.

‘She is very good friends with Patricia and Darius and didn’t think their friendship would be tarred by accusations about her husband’s behaviour. The last few months have blown her world apart. ‘Not only has she had to deal with the rumour and intrigue from friends asking about Charles and Patricia – but also the marriage split. ‘She has vowed to fight on and get on with the rest of her life for the sake of her children.’ The source said the Earl’s frequent business trips abroad also contributed to the break-up.

During his first marriage, Earl Spencer had an affair with South African Chantal Collopy. She returned to her husband, but later appeared in court to support Victoria during the divorce hearing.  Earl Spencer was accused of being a serial adulterer during the proceedings.  He first met Caroline, whose nickname is ‘Pidge’, at Oxford University when the pair were undergraduates. Their romance blossomed after she helped him over his divorce and they ‘came out’ as a couple at the premiere of the film Notting Hill. Countess Spencer was formerly married to the PR guru Matthew Freud, and the couple had two children before they parted in 1999.

News of the Spencers’ split comes just days after the ninth anniversary of Diana’s death. Earl Spencer famously launched a withering attack on the Royal Family during his sister’s funeral.

My only comment - SAD!

The Viscount

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
I can't take to him at all!! Along with that hypocritical speech he read at Dianas funeral!! To much!!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2006, 03:19:11 PM »
I agree completely, Eddieboy. By the way, how many ruined Spencer marriages is this?  ::) Definitely a family with issues.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2006, 03:31:29 PM »
I know Prince!  :) Is a shame really. I think theire parents divorce really was a traumatic experience for Diana and her brother.

FREE PALESTINE.

Viscount

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2006, 06:04:05 PM »
I can't take to him at all!! Along with that hypocritical speech he read at Dianas funeral!! To much!!

I do agree - but he is a real paradox.  Having met him recently at a poetry festival at Althorp..... he was very charming, very relaxed, extremely courteous - with shades of making us all feel very special, as if we were house guests........ and yet at the back of my mind I couldnt help but think - this man is trading on the name of his beloved sister and I simply dont trust him......   I do feel sorry for anyone whose marriage has ended, but it would appear that he is on some sort of marriage self-destruct!!!!!!

Its a real shame.

The Viscount

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »

But one close friend of the Countess said: ‘Caroline is heartbroken. She was shattered by his decision to up and leave. And let’s not forget they have two young children.’

Earl Spencer had four children with Victoria, his first wife,  Did Earl "COMMON SCUMBAG-LOW LIFE PERSON" Spencer have two more additional children with his second wife? 

Does this man sit in the House of Lords?

TampaBay
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 07:31:58 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2006, 09:14:57 PM »
Yes, he has children with his 2nd wife--Edmund and Laura--and 2 stepchildren. On the nieces/nephews of Diana thread there are some photos.

I don't think he sits in the House of Lords. It was all changed in 1999--the House of Lords Act removed the automatic hereditary right of peers to sit in the House of Lords.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2006, 03:47:52 AM »

Earl Spencer had four children with Victoria, his first wife,  Did Earl "COMMON SCUMBAG-LOW LIFE PERSON" Spencer have two more additional children with his second wife? 

lol, say it how it is TB ;)

FREE PALESTINE.

Viscount

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2006, 11:33:53 AM »

But one close friend of the Countess said: ‘Caroline is heartbroken. She was shattered by his decision to up and leave. And let’s not forget they have two young children.’

Does this man sit in the House of Lords?

TampaBay

WOW!  I was trying to be fairly "polite" etc.... but hey TB - clearly Lord Spencer is not your favourite man?  I dont blame you!!!!!!  Go girl !!!!!!!!

He married Victoria Lockwood (b. 1964), on 16th September 1989 and they had four children:

The Lady Kitty Eleanor Spencer (born 28th December 1990)
The Lady Eliza Victoria Spencer (born 10th July 1992)
The Lady Katya Amelia Spencer (born 10th July 1992)
The Hon Louis Frederick John Spencer, Viscount Althorp (born 14th March 1994)

Lord Spencer and Victoria divorced on 3rd December 1997. 

On 15th December 2001, Lord Spencer married Caroline Victoria Freud, née Hutton, former wife of Matthew Freud and had 2 children:

The Hon Edmund Charles Spencer (born 6th October 2003)
The Lady Lara Spencer (born 6th March 2006) 

I am extremely pleased to say that (as GD Ella correctly said) The House of Lords Act 1999 does indeed states that "No-one shall be a member of the House of Lords by virtue of a hereditary peerage" and he does NOT have any say in the Parliament of the United Kingdom............ there are enough self-interest seeking idiots already there!!!!!!

The Viscount