Author Topic: Current Perception of the Windsors and the Future of the Monarchy  (Read 133547 times)

CHRISinUSA

Re: Current Perception of the Windsors and the Future of the Monarchy
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 02:27:18 PM »
The Royal Family get paid by us for basically doing nothing; we fund their lifestyle.  We pay for them, so they're our property, in a sense, and so they're always prime fodder for criticism.  

The Royal Family gets paid for doing nothing?  Are you kidding me?  I would challenge you, Rachel, to prove that you work harder than the Queen, or Charles, or Anne.    

However, that's besides the point.  You do not fund the lifestyle of the British Royal Family.  Do not forget that the Queen surrendered the annual income of the Crown Estate to you in exchange for her annual stipend.   She gives you something like 200 million pounds a year, and you give her 35 million back.  Sounds like a deal to me.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 03:00:48 AM »
HM's life is about DUTY,that is the key word to her,it is not work but a way of life to her.Her sense of duty and dedication can be envied by many,even many who are youngsters at the time,but I think it is an inspiration to see HM go about at 80 still.Honestly,who would/could even come near her working through a busy schedule at any time and age let alone as an 80 year old?

I will not go into financial aspects,that's for the ignorant I'm sorry to say,all I say is that the revenues and spin-off of the British Monarchy exceeds by far any penny spend on it.

HM was a Monarch already as many of us,or their parents,where still in dipers.She has been a constant throughout the decades,in good times and bad,and there have been many of both.Highly admirerable how she remained herself to say the very least.

HM The Queens life,througout the decades:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4819.asp#
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 08:45:57 AM »
Rachel, some of your opinions regarding Queen Elizabeth are naive and uninformed, to say the least.

You may not support the idea of monarchy but to say that the Queen "basically does nothing" is simply incorrect.

She has diligently performed a demanding role on the world's stage for over 50 years now and has the respect, if not reverence, of leaders in many, many countries for her shrewd knowledge, her diplomacy and her sheer application, not to mention millions of her subjects who appreciate her longstanding dedication.  Please educate yourself a little better about what Her Majesty really does.

Politicians don't "scrounge off the public" for their living?  You are kidding - back to school here too, I'm afraid!

As to the British press - what has that got to do with the Queen?  When did you last see a scandal in the papers involving her?  That's right - you haven't.  And when you mention her children - she is no more responsible for the behaviour of her adult children than anyone else is, so don't hang this on her either, please!

Could you name anyone who would benefit by getting rid of the Queen and the Royal Family?

I think the opposite to you - I think she is respected for who she is, not what she represents - Kings and Queens don't automatically command respect and admiration - they have to earn it.

Ra-Ra-Rasputin

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 10:19:26 AM »
Rachel, some of your opinions regarding Queen Elizabeth are naive and uninformed, to say the least.

You may not support the idea of monarchy but to say that the Queen "basically does nothing" is simply incorrect.

She has diligently performed a demanding role on the world's stage for over 50 years now and has the respect, if not reverence, of leaders in many, many countries for her shrewd knowledge, her diplomacy and her sheer application, not to mention millions of her subjects who appreciate her longstanding dedication.  Please educate yourself a little better about what Her Majesty really does.

Other people may respect the Queen for what she does, but I don't. I know full well what her job involves, and I don't think it's hard work at all.  

I find it hilarious when people try and tell me how 'hard' the Queen works; she doesn't know the meaning of the word.  I'd like to invite her to come and live where I do, and do the jobs people where I live do.  Does the Queen get down on her knees and scrub toilets to make sure her kids can have something to eat? Does the Queen work a 12 hour night shift at a supermarket, then come home and go out to another job to make sure the rent gets paid? Of course not.  She may do a good job at what she does do, but it's not a particularly taxing job in my eyes. I'd far rather swap places.

I don't think I'm naive, or need to go back to school for having that opinion, thanks very much.  I'm not of the mindset that royalty should be idolised.  They're just people, who happened to be born into a position that gave them a title and a public role.  I don't think the Queen deserves respect for that myself.  The people I have respect for are those that risk their lives to help others, those that save lives,  those who would rather work for 20 hours a day to support themselves rather than scrounge off the government, etc.  The Queen doesn't really fit into my criteria.

Clearly we come from different backgrounds and have different ideas about what constitutes hard work, and what deserves respect.  I respect your opinion, and you're fully entitled to it, but I don't agree with it, and I never will.  That doesn't make me naive or stupid.  It just means I'm coming from a different angle than you.  :)

And about the press-  I never said anything about the Queen's behaviour and nor did I blame her for her children's.  I don't know where you got that idea from.

Rachel
xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ra-Ra-Rasputin »

Ra-Ra-Rasputin

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
I would just like to add that while I don't really admire the Queen for the work she does, I do think she has done a good job doing what she does do.  She has always conducted herself with the utmost propriety and has never given any reason for people to criticise her personally.  She has done her duty for a very long time, and the fact that she is going on into her 80s shows how proud she is of her position and how determined she is to do her duty to the role she was born into. I do admire her for that at least.

I don't have a problem with the Queen, which is the impression some people seem to have gotten from my previous posts.  I think she's a wonderful lady and I think she has done the job of being Queen very well.  I don't think the monarchy should be abolished, either, I just think the lesser members of the royal family should work for a living.  No-one other than the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales needs to be representing the Royal family and receiving a wage for doing so in my book.  The monarchy does do a lot for the country's standing abroad and it brings in a lot of revenue from tourism, I am well aware of that.  However, it does need subsidising.  Perhaps not very much, as I have already said, but it still does take money from the public.

My main problem with the way the monarchy is nowadays is that the younger members of the family and people like the Duchess of York simply trade on their name to become 'celebrities'.  The Royal Family is not supposed to be about getting into Hello! magazine for being at all the right socialite parties, it is supposed to be about being the figurehead of the country and setting a good example. The Queen has never done anything otherwise, and she has done very well in that respect. But I don't see why Prince Edward and Prince Andrew in particular should be getting allowances, because they're simply not necessary.  I am for a much more centralised Royal family, which I believe the Queen is pushing for herself.  Anyone outside of that central core should be working and funding their lifestyles themselves, otherwise they just give the Royal Family a bad name and make them unpopular, which is where the monarchy stands now in the majority of British people's minds.  Just look at Liam's statistics.

Rachel
xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ra-Ra-Rasputin »

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »
I would just like to add that while I don't really admire the Queen for the work she does, I do think she has done a good job doing what she does do.  She has always conducted herself with the utmost propriety and has never given any reason for people to criticise her personally.  She has done her duty for a very long time, and the fact that she is going on into her 80s shows how proud she is of her position and how determined she is to do her duty to the role she was born into. I do admire her for that at least.

I would never want to trade places with the monarch and I think you are underestimating how difficult her job actually is.  I admire anyone who is able, on a regular basis, to parade him or herself in front of large crowds and hardly ever make a misstep.  I, for one, would be constantly worried that someone would shoot me, either a terrorist, or nutcase.  But if she's worrying about that, it never seems to show.  I admire that because it certainly takes guts!  I think someone actually did fire a gun at her many years ago, but I believe the bullets were blanks.  Nevertheless, she hardly flinched.  That shows a strength of character that few people have regardless of what stratum of society they come from.  Regardless of what public event she is participating in, (426 in 2005) she must always look very interested in what's going on, or whoever is talking, etc.  Hell, I can't sit in a meeting for more than an hour without my mind wandering off and I start yawning...

Also, the Queen is fluent in French, as well as English.  Few other heads of state can claim to be fluent in more than one language.  (The current U.S. president can barely speak English properly).

Do not forget, also, that the Queen is constitutionally barred from speaking her mind or giving her personal opinion about practically any political topic.  She has to keep her mouth shut to stay above party politics.  She can't take sides.  She could never partake in any kind of online discussion forum about anything -- something we all take for granted.  That must take a great deal of self-control.  It's almost as if she lives in a gilded cage.

My main problem with the way the monarchy is nowadays is that the younger members of the family and people like the Duchess of York simply trade on their name to become 'celebrities'.  The Royal Family is not supposed to be about getting into Hello! magazine for being at all the right socialite parties, it is supposed to be about being the figurehead of the country and setting a good example. The Queen has never done anything otherwise, and she has done very well in that respect. But I don't see why Prince Edward and Prince Andrew in particular should be getting allowances, because they're simply not necessary.  I am for a much more centralised Royal family, which I believe the Queen is pushing for herself.  Anyone outside of that central core should be working and funding their lifestyles themselves, otherwise they just give the Royal Family a bad name and make them unpopular, which is where the monarchy stands now in the majority of British people's minds.  Just look at Liam's statistics.

Here I agree with you.  They should not get allowances merely because they are the Queen's children.  In return for living lives in the lap of luxury, they should work for it and they should be held to much higher standards than the average individual.  

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 04:16:40 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly about the younger members of the Royal Family.  They either need to pull their weight as full time functional members (and there are literally hundreds of good causes crying out for help) or get out and support themselves, at least to a degree.

However, this thread is about what people think of the Queen these days, not her children, ex-children-in-law or grandchildren.

Frankly, in my opinion, none can stand next to her.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 08:24:28 AM »
When I said that I admired the Queen, I was shouted down, even by my teacher. One girl even said she wanted HM to die. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

What a horrible girl!! ;D

Personally, I think the Queen is marvellous. She really has done a fantastic job. As another poster pointed out, the Queen and indeed many members of her family work extremely hard, doing a lot of good, and I applaud them for that!!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

ferngully

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 08:40:55 AM »
my freind also can't wait for her to die. she just doesn't see the point of her

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 09:25:39 AM »

How ignorant!! Sounds like some people on here, have some spiteful friends!! lol

You should try, if at all possible, to teach your friend some intelligence.   ;D ;D

FREE PALESTINE.

Ra-Ra-Rasputin

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
I might not agree with a lot of you as regards the Queen, but I certainly wouldn't wish the poor love dead!

How nasty! How could anyone wish for anyone to be dead?! What do kids get taught in schools these days?? I am shocked!  :o

Rachel
xx

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »
lol, some people are just awful i'm afraid, I just put it down to ignorance though!!  :)

FREE PALESTINE.

La_Bella_Regina

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »
I might not agree with a lot of you as regards the Queen, but I certainly wouldn't wish the poor love dead!

How nasty! How could anyone wish for anyone to be dead?! What do kids get taught in schools these days?? I am shocked!  :o

Rachel
xx

I don't know. The girl in question over here wanted to fit in with the rest of the lot(and the teacher), so she said that. Later it was spread around that her best friend had told her to say so because that best friend didn't like me all that much, and if she didn't, the best friend threatened lonliness forever. :( Stereotypical stuff. I'm glad I'm out of that classroom. :(

CHRISinUSA

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2006, 11:38:12 AM »
Anyone outside of that central core should be working and funding their lifestyles themselves.Rachelxx

Well, I'm going to have to concede on that point myself Rachel.  The current RF is too large - particularly when you throw the Queen's cousins into to the mix.  

However, how can they win?  The Kents and Glouchesters came of age in another era - when it was not only acceptable but expected that persons holding the HRH style lead royal lives.  It was not that long ago that it was considered disgraceful for a royal to hold a job.  Heck, even Sarah (a former royal) has been heavily criticized for her various efforts to support herself.  They cry "She's trading in on her status".  Well, excuse me, she IS the former wife of a prince.  Unless Britain's public wants to support her, she's going to have to earn her keep and yes, that means drawing from her circle - which happens to include many high rollers due to her title.  What is she to do?

It is obvious, however, that the RF is contracting.  30 years ago, cousins like the York princesses would be given apartments at Kensington and put out on the royal circuit.  Today, they are likely to raise their families privately, appearing only for major royal family events.

By the end of the present reign, the core RF will have shrunk by 1/3 from 30 years ago.  After the retirement or passing of Andrew, Anne, Edward & Sophie, it will shrink even further.  Makes sense too - they seem to be adopting the continental approach which often separtes the "Royal "House" from the "Royal Family".

ferngully

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »

How ignorant!! Sounds like some people on here, have some spiteful friends!! lol

You should try, if at all possible, to teach your friend some intelligence.   ;D ;D

its not a quality she employs regularly ;D