Author Topic: Buckingham palace  (Read 203488 times)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Buckingham palace
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
I know what you mean about Hampton Court. It though is a touch more off the beaten track and is not a working royal palace. It is still though very interesting. I guess Windsor Castle is my favourite. I find its history more fascinating. No wonder The Queen likes escaping there on weekends as often as possible.   

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2007, 01:13:31 AM »
I know what you mean about Hampton Court. It though is a touch more off the beaten track and is not a working royal palace. It is still though very interesting. I guess Windsor Castle is my favourite. I find its history more fascinating. No wonder The Queen likes escaping there on weekends as often as possible.   

Having been to both Hampton Court and Windsor castle using my British Heritage Pass, I tend to agree that Windsor Castle is far more interesting to visit.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »
What Monarch was the first to use Buck House as the offiicial London residence? 

In the HBO mini-series John Adams, Mr, Adams is presented to George III.  I take for granted the presenatation to court took place at St. James Palace.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 05:52:44 AM »
QV.

Ambassadors are still accredited to the Court of St.James.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:07 AM »
Originally known as Buckingham House (home of the Dukes of Buckingham), the palace was purchased by George III in 1761 for 21,000 pounds.  The King wanted to use it as a family home rather than a palace, and it was particularly associated with Queen Charlotte, for whom the house was rennamed (The Queen's House).

After mulling over whether or not to build a new London palace, George IV decided to expand The Queen's House into proper palace, as a place to hold court functions.  It was greatly expanded over the next decades, with the block of new state rooms added to the western facade, and new north and south wings built.

William IV decided to not move to Buckingham Palace when he suceeded in 1830, and he remained at Clarence House, adjoining St. James' Palace.  He continued to use St. James' State Rooms for court purposes.

Finally, upon her ascension in 1837, Queen Victoria immediately moved to Buckingham Palace - fresh from the builders' hands - and it became the principal London residence of the monarch.  Victoria added the east wing (the "front" of Buckingham Palace), as well as the Ball Room and Ball Supper Room wing at the southwest corner.  St. James continued to be considered the monarch's "official residence", the court to which ambassador's are accredited, and court ceremonies continued to be held there, but gradually the role of the palace in court life has declined. 

Today, St. James is still the "official" residence of the monarch, but in name only.  The palace houses apartments of royal family members, and offices of various royal household departments.  The state rooms are still used for some state entertaining, but all key court activities have - since Victoria's reign - occurred at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »
QV wrote in her diary the morning that she was to leave Kensington Palace and move into Buckingham Palace something along the lines of being nostalgic but happy to move on. Escaping the clutches of her mother, eh? Anyway, when did she decide to live there? It seemed to be a given.

Offline edwardcharles

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
I know this may seem random but does anyone have any idea how big or long the grand staircase is at Buckingham Palace is it biggest staircase in England?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
I've merged the BP thread started today with the prior existing one.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Windsor

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »
Glad to see this thread still active.  BP is such a facinating place!  Does anyone know how "modern" its modern facilities such as bathrooms are?  Seeing how even average homes nowadays have luxury baths with soaking tubs, marble, etc. it would interesting to know just how "palatial" these areas are in comparison.  Any pictures?

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
Please, does any of you can scean pages of Buckingham palace Guide book, with information about palace State Room's (the text about rooms is a very important for me)?
I will be very happy.
Thanks very much

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »
I was watching on TV some of their private rooms in BP(I think it was the Duke of York's bedroom for example)...Apart from state rooms,it looks nothing special or rather modest...from what I have seen!

Offline architect

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »
I have some great floor plans of Buckingham Palace if anyone is interested, I can post them (ground and first floor) and they are labeled. 

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:14 PM »
I was watching on TV some of their private rooms in BP(I think it was the Duke of York's bedroom for example)...Apart from state rooms,it looks nothing special or rather modest...from what I have seen!

Which tv programme were you watching?

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
I have some great floor plans of Buckingham Palace if anyone is interested, I can post them (ground and first floor) and they are labeled. 

PLEASE post them when you can. :) It would be wonderful!

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »
Architect please post them soon, please I will be very very happy.
Thanks