Author Topic: King George III, his Queen Charlotte and their family  (Read 51989 times)

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
King George III, his Queen Charlotte and their family
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »
I have never seen pictures of Queen Charlotte's parents. I Know that the palace at Neustrelitz was a casualty of WW2. Does this mean that the family portraits were destroyed? There is in the British Royal Collection a snuffbox with Charlotte and her siblings depicted on the outside. Apparently her parents are depicted on the inside. Does anyone have any pictures of her parents?

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Re: King George III, his Queen Charlotte and their family
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:15:27 AM »
Regensburg, I just found a -bad- portrait of her father, duke Carl of Mecklemburg. It is this:

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 05:05:05 PM »
Thankyou for the pictures! Unfortunately I think the first picture, depicting a couple, is of her brother (another Karl) and his wife. The other picture seems more likely but is also on some websites which say it is also a brother and sometimes they say it is her father. Can anybody authenticate one way or the other :-/

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
I would say that this is her brother(look at his warderobe-late 18th century fashion)...portraits of her parents are very rare-if there are some...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:00:10 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:03:16 PM »
If you are interested in Queen Charlotte Sophia's family here is a portrait of her grandmother(Elisabeth Albertine's mother) Duchess Sophia Albertine von sachsen-Hilburghausen,born Countess von Erbach-Erbach...

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
And one of her sister in law Frederike...

Offline regensburg

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »
Wonderful portraits :)
Where is the Allan Ramsay portrait to be found?

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:36:30 PM »
Recently I became interested in the history of the American revolution. I would like to hear some opinions from both sides, because I'm afraid that in the US most information you get tends to be sort of one-sided. I haven't had the chance to read up the British side, nor do I really remember too many details of what I learned in school about the American side because I used to find it too boring!

So I would like to start a discussion on George III and the American revolution. Were George's own actions a catalyst for it, or was it inevitable, and sooner or later any British monarch would have to face a rebellion from the colonies? Were the Americans justified, or were they treasonous? As I mentioned, I would like to hear both sides. Thank you!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
From what I've read, the Americans were certainly justified, but I'm not sure how much of it was George's doing - he was more constitutional than autocratic, but I have read that he wanted to change this . . . the Prime Minister of the time, Lord North, was pretty much George's tool, wasn't he?

I know that well into the 1780s, George continued to refer to American as 'the Colonies'.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 07:11:33 PM »
One Pharse!!

Taxation without representation in the House of Commons and House of Lords.  George III made the wrong group of people mad over taxes and trade.  Money $$$$ has always and always will drive the USA.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 02:28:16 AM »
however, i think that even if george had accepted the colonies to be represented in parliament, they still would have rebelled. later but would have. it's hard to actually maintain such an empire so large and so far away from home. maybe they would have remained the way canada is now, nominally accepting the monarch, but they would have gained actual independence after all...

were they right? yes. they were right in not wanting to be ruled by a bunch of people living half a world away who have no idea what is going on there.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 03:09:18 AM »
Plus, Canada has its own Prime Minister and Parliament. The colonies didn't have that choice. The colonies had governors, but they had no say over taxes. I think that if Canada today were being ruled entirely by England, with no say, the people would want independence.

The Americans were definitely justified. I think that if they were given representation in Britain's parliament and/or their own parliament and prime minister, the United States would not be a seperate country. Initially, all they wanted was representation. Once it was clear they weren't going to get it they rebelled.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 03:45:56 AM »
yes, but how long do you think it would have taken for them to realize that in order to actually do something (reforms... etc) they needed to take a month's trip (how long did it take?) across the atlantic, then discuss it, probably for weeks, and then a month back? then they would have wanted their own parliament. once they got that the road to actual independence (even if canada is nominally recognizing the queen, it is actually independent) would have been short. had they not gotten that, we would have ended up right back at rebellion. in both cases, the states wouldn't remain english colonies.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya