Author Topic: Suspended Users  (Read 148212 times)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Suspended Users
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:50 PM »
As that account has been permanently deleted, perhaps continued discussion on that point is moot?  PS. I approved it initially because I had seen te Beevis and Butthead movie and TV series and frankly assumed that was the reference.

Alixz

« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2007, 08:14:06 AM »
Sorry, FA, but there are a lot of us who did not see the Beavis and Butthead movie.

And, Beavis and Butthead (what I have seen of them on TV - and I admit that is as little as possible) don't seem to be poster boys for the innocent use of words or actions.

Just the fact that the name was used in a movie about them would have signaled the same thing to me!

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
If you can find me a definition of "cornhole" that's non-sexaul, I'll retract my opinion and be forced to resign myself to the possibility that I have a dirty mind.

Like many, many words in the English language, "cornhole" has several meanings, only one of which is vulgar.  One use is as a noun (see wiktionary.org) used in the vernacular to denote a loser or a shmuck . . . and not a surprising name to be assigned to a cartoon character.

It is also the name of a popular game that even has its own website:  http://www.cornholeconnection.com/?gclid=COW2jYDrg4wCFQGPWAodEUEdyw

So I'm afraid you'll have to resign yourself to the possiblity of a dirty mind, Alixz.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »
Oops, sorry . . . I meant to address the above comment to Sarushka.  (And I don't really believe she has a dirty mind, by the way.  She just didn't grow up where I did and kids called each other "cornholes" when they got caught at something.)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2007, 11:04:45 AM »
I guess the lesson is: don't jump to conclusions and loosen up a bit occasionally...  ;)

Alixz

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2007, 11:58:23 AM »
I asked my husband, who grew up in a different area of our state, what he thought a cornhole was.

I didn't tell him where I had read it or what I had found as a definition.

He scowled and said that he had heard it all the time in Vocational Technical school.  And it was always used as an alternative to
a--hole.  He said that one of the students was always threatening to shove something up someone's "cornhole".  My husband graduated from high school in 1978.  That means that the definition has had bad connotations for at least 30 years.

Way before Beavis and Butthead.  And I wouldn't doubt that Beavis and Butthead creaters were using it for shock value and to see if anyone noticed.

Actually when I first saw "cornholio" on this site as a user name, what came to my mind was the movie Deliverance.  Probably because I had never seen the Beavis and Butthead movie.

But anyway, that's what prompted me to Google it.  If any of you have done that, you know what I found.

Tsarfan, I see that you do have my welfare in mind.  Even when you want to correct another poster's assumptions you have a Freudian Slip and aim at me.    :o

And you apology is accepted with grace. ::)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:07:52 PM by Alixz »

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:21 PM »
Actually, Alixz, I had just read your immediately preceding post before putting up mine, and I popped in your name out of habit.  Perhaps that is Freudian.  Or perhaps it was nothing more than having just read your post.

Alixz

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
And such a bad habit, too   8)

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2007, 04:12:55 PM »
Ah, the pursuit of guilty pleasures . . .  ;D

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
It is a very inappropiate show I read on wikipedia that it had some controversial about the show critisism. Beavis and Butt-head, along with Ren and Stimpy, American Dad, Family Guy, The Simpsons, South Park, Daria, and Celebrity Deathmatch pushed the boundaries of cartoons beyond clean material for small children very inappropiate. Over its run, Beavis and Butt-head drew a notable amount of both positive and negative reactions from the public with its combination of lewd humor and implied criticism of society.

It became the focus of criticism from social conservatives, such as Michael Medved, who depicted it as "the epitome of mindless and amoral entertainment", while others, such as David Letterman, and the conservative magazine National Review, defended it as a cleverly subversive vehicle for social criticism and a particularly creative and intelligent comedy. Either way, the show captured the imaginations of many young television viewers in the United States and abroad and is often considered a classic piece of 1990s youth culture. According to wikipedia this was the controversy.

All users on the forum should have appropiate user names. But Cornhole according to wikipedia means:

Cornhole, Corn Toss, or Baggo is a game in which players take turns pitching small bags filled with corn (or sand or beans) at a raised platform with a hole in the far end. A corn bag in the hole scores 3 points, while one on the platform scores 1 point. Play continues until a player reaches the score of 21. The platforms measure 4'×2' and are generally made of wood, although plastic can be a suitable replacement. The bags are generally 6×6", made with duck cloth, and filled with dry feed corn.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:45:27 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »
Can we drop the "cornhole" discussion already? As fascinating as it is, it's really not worth discussing for several pages...  ;D

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
I second Helen's request....

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
Can we drop the "cornhole" discussion already? As fascinating as it is, it's really not worth discussing for several pages...  ;D

I'm over it!  ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »
Thank you FA and everyone who spoke up on my behalf. I appreciate it :) I will do my best to contribute to the forum in a good way.

I am very sorry about all the 'cornholio' controversy. It was only meant as a harmless, funny, joke. The name was made in March of 2006 when bigbee made his alias "cornmuffin." I was going to use it to counter him, but his new name was banned so I never did. Later on, it was used by me and another family member a few times. Yes, the name was from Beavis and Butthead, I thought that would be obvious from the beginning as FA said it was for him. I even had the character on the avatar. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously and I never thought anyone would find it 'offensive' or controversial. I watched B and B and their movie where Beavis turned into  Cornholio when he got hyper. My kids watched it when they were younger, I don't have a problem with it. I'm sorry again that it has caused all this mess, Cornholio is gone now and it's more than run its course so please let's not go on about it anymore.

Thanks again. I am very proud to be a part of this forum and historical community.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:30:14 PM by Annie »

Alixz

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2007, 10:16:28 AM »
I second that recommendation. 

Annie, Welcome back.   ;)