Author Topic: Help with Photo Identification, Question or Caption  (Read 157368 times)

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
Re: Help with Photo Identification, Question or Caption
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
The Maria Theresa you re talking about was born in 1881 so it cant be =(.

Im just looking the reverse of the picture but that doesnt say anything. I can buy a card of Napoleon III and write behind its Vittorio Emanuele II .

About the "court photography" stuff, they only took pictures of archduchess, duchess and royals?. Maybe this woman was part of the aristocracy or a noble family?

Thanks for the info about baden-baden. Now it could be nice to have info if MAria Theresa and her sisters were frecuent visitors of that spa town

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Rani

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »
Thats Maria Das neves?. Weel..between those two ladies are more resemblance than the mystery lady and M Theresa.-  Here another picture, not profile of Maria das neves. Here i can see no resemblance at all

Maybe we re just turning round and tround and this is just a noble lady who went to baden baden and someone confused her with Archduchess Maria Theresa. This always happens on ebay.

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »
It's Marie Therese, Karl Ludwig's third wife. I have another photo of this sitting. Maybe I have enough time to post it later.

Please post the photo from the same sitting if you have. I really don't see any resemblance to Maria Theresa or any of her sisters. My 1st impression was Luisa von Thurn und Taxis, photo of 1877-1878 years, but it's not for sure.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »
I can't post it, because the photo I was thinking of is part of a private collection. I'm sorry.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:50 AM »
Not even just the face or part of the dress?. Again, im with Svetabel, No resemblance at all between the real archduchess and this lady.

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
Not even just the face or part of the dress? Again, im with Svetabel, No resemblance at all between the real archduchess and this lady.

I'm sorry. When I wrote that I was in possession of another photo of this sitting, I didn't remember that it was one of the photos I got from a friend's collection. She doesn't want me to publish it, because she also thinks that it's a rare one of young Marie Therese.

I am not absolutely sure anymore, but I still think she's Marie Therese or at least one of her sisters.

Again, I can't imagine her to be one of the Thurn und Taxis girls.
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »
if she s not une of the TUT at least has more resemblance than the Braganza girls. I ve seen Hi res version of pictures of all the sisters and no one resembles  her.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
Not even just the face or part of the dress? Again, im with Svetabel, No resemblance at all between the real archduchess and this lady.

I'm sorry. When I wrote that I was in possession of another photo of this sitting, I didn't remember that it was one of the photos I got from a friend's collection. She doesn't want me to publish it, because she also thinks that it's a rare one of young Marie Therese.

I am not absolutely sure anymore, but I still think she's Marie Therese or at least one of her sisters.

Again, I can't imagine her to be one of the Thurn und Taxis girls.

Don´t worry, Marie ;) I understand your point about the picture from your friend´s collection.

I usually think Katenka has a very good eye to recognize wrong labeled pictures. But this time...I still believe she´s Maria Theresa or one of her sisters, too ;)

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
its not only me, its also Svetabel whos an ace to identifying pictures.

Here anither picture from the ONB circa the same period of the "mystery" picture.

Come on!! Check the eyebrows, the eyes the shape of the face!

Plus, another buncvh from the ONB (sorry,. there is the only place where i found hig res version to compare)

MAria Jose, Adelgunde and Maria Theresa

Maria Das neves

Now again a huge close up of the mislabeled women

And now...compare.

What i think after seeing lots and lots  oif pictures, this lady its nothing but a noble women who someone confused with Archduchess M Theresa because they have a "soft" resemblance.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
I´m not convinced, Katy, although I know you´re an ace...and also Sveta, by the way ;) You see a soft resemblance, but I still think the lady has the Braganza´s features. Maybe my eyes are seeing what I want to see: to be honest, you know Maria Theresa in one of my great favourites ever!!;)

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
its a cute pic, whoever this lady is, so i cant blame you! ;-)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
This seller is really reliable--not one of those who pounces on any image and labels it a royal. They always have good royal cards and never mind some questioning about their IDs. The back inscription, which looks to be contemporary to the time, says Maria Theresa Braganza and notes Karl Ludwig Osterreich as well. The photographer was frequented by Mathilde Trani and family as well as Grand Duke Michael N and Princess Marie of Baden. This isn't drawing any conclusions on my part as this family isn't one that I've studied well. Still, there is something there. I do feel she's a member of one of the royal families. It's like she's almost Maria Theresa or she's almost someone else but not quite.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline THERRY

• Graf
  • Cogli l'attimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:20 AM »
I think that the mysterious woman seems a lot to Maria Das Nevas sister of M. Teresia Braganza. Look at theese photos

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
No, its not. Check other pictures of Maria Das neves and you realize it isnt her.

GDella, i agree with you that this seller is a super reliable source but not free of mistakes. As i said before he had a picture of Vittorio Emanuelle II as Napoleon III and i sent him a mail telling that he was mistaken. He change the subject and he thought it was Napoleon III just because an inscription behind, just like it happened with this picture.

People back in those times, even with little info avalaible about those royals would confuse easily and mislabeled pics.