Author Topic: Smokers and non smokers  (Read 35305 times)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Smokers and non smokers
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
Elizabeth~Princess, nearly every second photo that was taken of Margaret shows her with a cigarette (and a drink too usually)!  She was known for her heavy smoking which was a life-long habit that eventually killed her at 71.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:45:19 PM by Grace »

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
Elizabeth~Princess, nearly every second photo that was taken of Margaret shows her with a cigarette (and a drink too usually)!  She was known for her heavy smoking which was a life-long habit that eventually killed her at 71.
Yes thanks for the information Grace. ;) I did not know that she was a long time chain smoker but I did know that she died at 71 of cancer. Her sister Elizabeth always refer to them as 'nasty things'. She also drinked. I notice in those photographs she is holding acohol. So sad no wonder her looks are old and rinkled up so are Camilla's their faces have big rinkles on there.

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
Sure Camilla would have had the standard pre-op advice but as a nurse I can promise you that many arrive, get into bed, get clerked and immediately shuffle off to the designated smoker's corner shelter outside the main entrance. Wherein pack - at all hours of the day and night - quantities of patients (some hooked up to the most extraordinary apparatus - myself recently trailed about the EEG head spaghetti for a sleep test at the Royal Devon) and nurses and housemen and the occasional Registrar having a bad day even (all of whom scrounge off the nurses) and all the ancilliary staff and them from outpatients and the path labs, a goodly representation from admin and a fair sprinkling of anxious relatives - the lot. Who still smoke in full of view of the arriving hordes regardless. For as long as Golden Virginina and Rizla keep us in our wobbly cheapo home-made West Country gaspers, the good men of our blessed Duchy of the Western Men will always know of a pub that's ignoring the ban. As Duchess of Cornwall Camilla is doing sterling work in so identifying with us her bronchial burdens
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
Well...Too late to get Camilla to quit smoking now ?

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
Well...Too late to get Camilla to quit smoking now ?
Yes especialy since she has been doing it for more than 30 years it would be realy difficult to quit after all that time. But hopefully she will break the habit.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »
I won't be losing any sleep over whether Camilla (or any other royal) smokes themselves to their grave or not (though it does give me a slight perverse joy to think of the disquiet this may cause Prince Charles in his orderly, removed-from-reality world, I must say).

We are bombarded in the media now with graphic details of what might happen if we smoke, eat the wrong foods, don't exercise enough, don't have pap smears, pick up heavy objects incorrectly for the sake of our backs etc. etc.  It's always Heart Week, Kidney Week or some of other disease or disability week that it's all become a bit much as far as I'm concerned. 

I think we're all well and truly 'informed' nowadays.  It's called 'personal choice'.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2007, 01:19:11 AM »
Yes I don't think too many will be concerned with Camilla's passing apart from her own family. As for smoking if somebody truly wants to get off it they can. My father did after smoking from the age of 15 to 70. He simply called on sheer willpower and was frightened to bits when the Doctor said it was either the cigarettes or the grave. Such advice has quite a remarkable effect on many people! He ended up living as a result for over 7 more years.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2007, 05:34:45 AM »
That is a good story.  :)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2007, 06:58:01 AM »
I won't be losing any sleep over whether Camilla (or any other royal) smokes themselves to their grave or not (though it does give me a slight perverse joy to think of the disquiet this may cause Prince Charles in his orderly, removed-from-reality world, I must say).

I didn't quite mean this as it reads.  I enjoy thinking about the disquiet Camilla's actual smoking most likely gives Charles, not her possible demise from it. 

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2007, 07:01:25 AM »
Grace - I get it and also like the thought of Charles getting his knickers in a twist a bit over her wilfulness. Though I'd bet that is some of what makes her so attractive to him - there is something perversely attractive when your loved one is being a bit deliquent.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Edward VII smoked .. died from the effects
George V smoked .. it certainly helped kill him
Queen Mary smoked - she died from cancer so it probably helped her on her way
Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor .. smoked and it killed him
George VI smoked and it killed him
Princess Margaret smoked and drank and both killed her .. caused strokes

All in all the Windsors should keep away from tobacco

Thankfully Elizabeth II does not smoke!
Charles does not smoke but fancy as a non-smoker kissing a smoker like Camilla? Perhaps his favourite chocolate is Ash Tray and not Cadbury's Milk Tray!! 

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »
Edward VII smoked .. died from the effects
George V smoked .. it certainly helped kill him
Queen Mary smoked - she died from cancer so it probably helped her on her way
Edward VIII, Duke of Windsor .. smoked and it killed him
George VI smoked and it killed him
Princess Margaret smoked and drank and both killed her .. caused strokes

All in all the Windsors should keep away from tobacco

Thankfully Elizabeth II does not smoke!
Charles does not smoke but fancy as a non-smoker kissing a smoker like Camilla? Perhaps his favourite chocolate is Ash Tray and not Cadbury's Milk Tray!! 
Dmitri, I must say your information is exactly correct. But, Queen Elizabeth never smoked. On the other hand, it is odd for a non smoker and a smoker to be kisssing each other. hahah! But there is some people I was always unsure about and it was Queen Victoria and Princess Alice of Great Britain?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:35:36 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2007, 11:50:28 AM »
In THE LOST PRINCE miniseries, Queen Alexandra is depicted smoking at family gatherings. Since it is recorded that her sister Dagmar was a dedicated smoker, it seems likely that like many other royal ladies of that era Alix of England was too.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
In THE LOST PRINCE miniseries, Queen Alexandra is depicted smoking at family gatherings. Since it is recorded that her sister Dagmar was a dedicated smoker, it seems likely that like many other royal ladies of that era Alix of England was too.

I think a little caution is advisable when taking historical cues from The Lost Prince.  If you read through the lengthy thread on this series in the film and TV section, many inaccuracies in this production have been discussed.  I can't remember ever reading that QA smoked - if she did, it certainly would have been sparingly.

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2007, 08:57:53 AM »
I am realy unsure if Queen Alexandra smoked or not. I realy think she has. But, we may nevr realy know. I know she defantly was not a chain smoker like Empress Marie.