Author Topic: Who is ”old Jack”?  (Read 76762 times)

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
Who is ”old Jack”?
« on: May 14, 2006, 12:07:16 PM »
Hello!

I have got this photo of Alexandra at home. At the backside of it a message from Alix to old Jack is written. Does anyone know who “old Jack might be”?

I’m very thankful for suggestions!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sebran »

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
Re: Who is ”old Jack”?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:13:15 PM »
I did not succeed in attaching the image..  I will write down what the message says instead:

“To dear old Jack,
wishing you a
merry Xmas &
every happiness
in the new year 1912.

/…./ loving /.../

Alix”

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:22:05 PM »
So.. Can someone tell me who old Jack might be. I'm grateful for all sugestions!

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:46:34 AM »
No one?  :-? Not even a suggestion..  :-/ I guess this one was too tricky for you...

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:06:17 AM »
No one?  :-? Not even a suggestion..  :-/ I guess this one was too tricky for you...
Now, now -- it's only been a few days since you posted. You may have your answer yet, with patience!
 ;)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
That's a formal photo of her turned into postcard, is it not?  I don't really think it could be called a photo of her at home, given that it is a formal photo.Perhaps he was someone she knew at one time.. Jack is not a Russian name, nor is this writing in Russian I think. It's English, perhaps written to someone in England she might have known when she was young at Queen Victoria's court?

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 11:16:04 PM »
The bits you had trouble making out:

Fr(om) y(ou)r loving old Alix.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 04:11:10 PM »
It seems like it is written to someone she has known a long time-only who?

Offline griffh130

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 04:32:09 PM »
First off Sebran what a priceless treasure!!!!  How in the world did you come by such a wonderful possession?  That elegant photo of the Empress was taken, as the postcard says in 1911 and that is the year that she has just helped design the new Palace in Livadia.  Alexandra is wearing a very smart long line sheath of soft chiffon over satin with very little ornamentation except for the Empire lace bodice.  Alix has accentuated the modern simplicity of her gown with that fabulous oversized necklace and dramatic diadem.  Of course her gown avoids the radical lines of the current hobble skirt craze, an outline that she so chided Lily Dehn for wearing.  Remember how she made Lily run in her hobble skirt and teased her when it proved impossible?  But Alexandra has achieved an up to date elegance while avoiding extremes.  

Forgive me for my sartorial excursions into the Empress' taste in fashion.  Now let address the identity of the mysterious gentleman who is named Jack.  You know I have a feeling that Jack is one of the late Empress' Court retainers.  We know that the postcard was not mailed because there is no stamp on the postcard and no address and of course the message is far too familar to ever be exposed to the public eye.  Perhaps the postcard was included in a letter.  However, I feel rather certain that because it was written during the holidays, it might have accompanied a gift.  I have this sneaking suspicion that Jack might have been one of Alexandria's Nubian servants.  I will try and research this but I think one of her Nubians was an American black man named Jack.  I must admitt that I am not sure about this and hope that those who know the American's name will not come down on me too hard.

I will try to reseach it and get back to you.  I must say, before parting that the mood of the card is so charming and fun loving and at the same time intimate that I can't help feeling that it is in character with the kind of loving tribute that Alexandra would give to a devoted servant, such as those charming notes she sent to her former governess Miss Jackson.  They are filled with a familiarity and family intimacy and overriding Christian charity that expresses such a genuine gratitude.  

Well Sebran, until I do my reseach, that is my best shot.  But please, do tell us the history of how this priceless treasure fell into your loving and faithful hands.  

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »
Griff,
The American black servant at the AP was named Jim, Jim Hercules. Not Jack.  Jack is the "nickname" for a man named John, so this is the alley to travel. Also, I think the card is a bit too informal/personal to go to a servant. Look for an Englishman named John, that Alexandra had obviously known for quite some time by 1912.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 05:02:45 PM »
I think it was written to someone who was English as well. And it is indeed someone she has known a while.

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 07:46:02 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions!!  
I found the card when looking through a box with things that belonged to Mary Zoubkoff, the mother of Alexander Zoubkoff who married princess Viktoria of Prussia in 1927.

The Zoubkoffs’ is a Russian noble family which before the revolution was very rich, and my first thought was that Alix had sent it to someone of them. But then, I guess it had been more natural if she had written in Russian. Then I thought about the possibility that it once could have belonged to Princess Viktoria of Prussia, and that she could have given it as a memory to her mother in law Mary Zoubkoff – Mary received a lot of gifts (most of them jewels) from Viktoria.

I would be very glad if someone could come with more ideas about who old Jack could have been.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:30:22 AM by Alixz »

Offline Caleb

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:19 PM »
Griff,
The American black servant at the AP was named Jim, Jim Hercules. Not Jack.  Jack is the "nickname" for a man named John, so this is the alley to travel. Also, I think the card is a bit too informal/personal to go to a servant. Look for an Englishman named John, that Alexandra had obviously known for quite some time by 1912.
Could it have been Admiral Jack Fischer, a friend of King Edward VII? I think they met when Edward VII & Queen Alexandra travelled to Reval in 1908.

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 09:33:50 AM »
You know Caleb, after our Fourm Admin made that really helpful remark, I totally agree that it must be someone in England and now, how to find that gentleman.  It definetely could have been a handsome British officer such as Admiral Jack Fisher.  I remember Queen Marie of Roumania saying how she fell under the spell of Captain Burke when she was a girl.  It might also have been someone that Alix may have met as a girl on her yearly visits to her Grandmother, Queen Victoria.  

I will keep researching.

Thank you so much Sebran for sharing where you discovered that treasure.  How on earth did you come across that box of Mary Zoubkoff's possessions?  That is such an amazing find and knowing it's origin certainly adds a bit more mystery to the search.      

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 10:47:52 AM »
Griff,
Could it have been Admiral Jack Fischer, a friend of King Edward VII? I think they met when Edward VII & Queen Alexandra travelled to Reval in 1908.

This sounds like a good theory. Plus, if they met up (say at Reval) and she presented him the postcard it would explain the lack of postmark.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/