Author Topic: Catherine The Great Documentary  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Catherine The Great Documentary
« on: November 28, 2004, 12:13:43 AM »
There is in Canada on the History Channel tonight Sunday Nov 28 at 8:00 pm a documentary on Catherine the Great. It has scenes of St. Petersburg, etc.

Joanna

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Re: Catherine The Great Documentary
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 06:44:08 PM »
Hi Everyone!
There is a Bio on CTG tonight @ 9:00pm Eastern Time on the History Channel.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the "Mystery's of Museums" on the Museum in the Kremlin?
I think it was called "Mysteries in the Red Square"
It was really interesting!  :P

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 06:45:14 PM »
oops. looks like you got to it before me, lol

Did you watch the Mysteries of the Red Square?

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 07:25:22 PM »
But. . . Desperate Housewives!  8)

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 08:54:01 PM »
Hi Laura

I had seen in early summer Mysteries of the Kremlin. It was especially fascinating to see the archives!

JM you are too funny  :)

Joanna

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 10:18:23 AM »
But. . . Desperate Housewives!  8)

LMAO!

Hi Laura

I had seen in early summer Mysteries of the Kremlin. It was especially fascinating to see the archives!

JM you are too funny  :)

Joanna

Oh, lol. I didn't know it was a repeat.  ;D
It was great to see the archives! Was that GARF?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:53 PM »
It's on PBS now, I have never seen it before. It's a mixture documentary and docudrama, part of it is acted out.

Offline koloagirl

• Graf
  • Loving each other and having faith always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:45:53 PM »
 :)

Just saw what I'm assuming is Part I of this documentary/docudrama(?) last nite -- I thought it was very good.  But bearing in mind
that my knowledge of Catherine the Great is somewhat ( ::)) limited at best, I don't know how much was accurate.  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Is there a Part II that is coming?  I would assume and hope so.

Janet R.

P.S. -- by the way, I found the rat torture scene with Peter III VERY disturbing!!!  I am hoping that was a fake rat otherwise I am going to be having nightmares about that for days!
Janet R.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:53:28 PM »
I also saw it last night.....I was so dissappointed! The sets looked like painted cardboard.  They would periodically show outside shots of the Winter Palace and the Catherine Palace but nothing that looked like the inside.

I liked the actors....especially the actor that played Peter.  Catherine's actress did a good job, I liked the way she looked.  But Elizabeth's look was all wrong to me.  I liked the uniforms, especially on Catherine...I wonder if she actually looked that sexy in person (she had had 3 children by then). I liked the uniforms better than the dresses...some were so ugly its hard to believe they would have been worn in St. Petersburg. In the beginning they had Catherine wear the same green dress for several different days shots and that was distracting, I wondered when they were going to give her a new dress....

But since I am addicted to all things Russian I will watch the last part and probably really enjoy it.

Arleen

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 11:26:06 AM »

I have just seen the two parts of the film.   Mostly not good.  All of the scenes of the palace are in winter.   Don't they ever have summer in Russia??

The casting was very uneven.  Good choice for Orlov but terrible casting for Catherine.  Catherine was a lusty big lady and a bit over weight from her portraits.  The person they chose was a thin little wispy female that does not fit the type of person that was the real Catherine.

The rat scene was disgusting and should not have been in the film.

The interiors were a little cheesy.  Were they unable to use the actual interiors of the Catherine palace?

Potemkin was fairly well cast....

The endless winter scenes of the Catherine palace got a bit boring....as I have said, do they have only winter in Russia??

Douglas

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
I totally agree with you Douglas.  This was the worst Romanov production EVER!

Arleen

Offline Jim_Wilhelm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
The casting was very uneven.  Good choice for Orlov but terrible casting for Catherine.  Catherine was a lusty big lady and a bit over weight from her portraits.  The person they chose was a thin little wispy female that does not fit the type of person that was the real Catherine.
All:
I saw the two parts last night (18 May, 2006). I agree with Douglas about the Catherine character. The actress they chose not only looked like a skinny Rachel Ray from The Food Network, but she wasn't really all that good an actress. Also, they didn't really mention that Catherine didn't really do all that much to improve the lot of the great masses of peasants and serfs in the country. The smallpox inoculations, the education reforms, etc. didn't really do much to address the grinding poverty and miserable living conditions of the majority of Russians at that time. That wasn't really mentioned. The commentary by the scholars was excellent. I'd give it about a "C".

Jim Wilhelm
Albuquerque, NM USA
Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get out

--Murphy's Corollary

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 03:04:20 PM »

I agree with Jim's comments about the film.

I suppose that the Russian authorities did not want filming in summer near the Catherine palace due to the tourists.  Maybe they make more money from the tourists than from a public television film company.

If anyone  wants to make a film about Catherine the Great it should really be over-the-top.  She did almost everything to excess.  They should have mentioned her 12 cups of coffee every morning.