Author Topic: Film about Ballet Russe  (Read 2479 times)

Offline historywriter

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Film about Ballet Russe
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:44:21 AM »
Hello everyone,

Has anyone seen this?  It has received very good reviews and looks lovely.

Regards,

Lisa

www.webwritereditor.com
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com

Offline Glebb

• Dobro Pozhalovat!
    • View Profile
Re: Film about Ballet Russe
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »
I've seen it, only once and it's been a while but it was good to learn the difference between all the Ballet Russes.
The interviews are wonderful.  I had heard so much about Krassovska and finally got to see her in action.  Same with Mia Slavenska.  Freddy Franklin is still going strong (he makes a very funny comment about Russian dancers) and it was fun to learn about people/artists I've never even heard of.  I was sad not to see my teacher Thomas Armour who died just last month at 97 and who was often seen in Le Spectre de La Rose, was not in the film at all.  Back in the late 80s I had the priviledge of dinner with Dame Alica Markova and when I asked her about him she recalled him fondly.
The extravagances of Kings were beyond compare. They spent our money without counting.  But when they constructed such marvels, were they not putting our money aside for us?   - French saying  -- From Suzanne Massie's PAVLOVSK

Offline historywriter

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Film about Ballets Russes
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
Hello Glebb,

I am hoping to go and see the film today.  As I'm Australian, I am especially interested in seeing more information about the Ballets Russes' tours of Australia.  In the book I have about Anna Pavlova's tours I got the impression that her company found Australia quite primitive in those days and didn't enjoy staying here very much at all!  They found Brisbane very hot and stifling, which I could well understand!

It must have been wonderful to dine with Dame Alicia Markova.  I'd love to know more about that.

Best Regards,

Lisa

www.webwritereditor.com

Offline Glebb

• Dobro Pozhalovat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
Very nice to meet you Lisa!
I don't recall reading of Pavlova's tour(s) to Australia.  Maybe I should refresh myself on her interesting life.
I've been to Hamstead where I believe she lived but I was not able to see her home.  I studied with Murial Stuart, a student of hers when I attended School of American Ballet (New York City Ballet's school,) and I was able to watch Elizabeth Schooling, who danced with Pavlova's company, stage 'L'Apre Midi D' Un Faune' for The Joffrey Ballet.  Nureyev performed the Nijinsky role.
I've been to Sydney and loved my stay in your country.  :)
Dinner with Dame Alicia was very nice.
There were other dancers there as well.
A very good friend of mine was her sponsor in the US.
We had dinner and then went to see NYCB - Nutcracker.
I had the honor of accompanying Dame Alicia to her hotel after the performance.
I mostly remember being thrilled that she remembered Tommy, my teacher with fondness.
There is a funny story about Alicia Markova.
When she became the Director of the Metropolitan Opera Ballet, she was being introduced to the various departments as Madame Markova.  She finally said: 'Call me Dame Alicia.  It's not what I want but it is what the Queen wants.'
The extravagances of Kings were beyond compare. They spent our money without counting.  But when they constructed such marvels, were they not putting our money aside for us?   - French saying  -- From Suzanne Massie's PAVLOVSK

Offline historywriter

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:07:05 AM »
Hello Glebb,

Thank you very much for your reply and your compliments about Australia.  Sydney is probably the most beautiful city in this country so you went to the right place!  Tasmania is a lovely state and I'd like to visit it again.

I enjoyed your story about Dame Alicia Markova very much!  After seeing the film it is easy to imagine her saying that!  The film was very enjoyable and when it comes out on DVD here I am going to buy a copy to keep.  This is a little shallow but I became sad when I saw how beautiful all of the members of the Ballets Russe were when they were young and how different they look now.  Certainly they had aged gracefully, however!

Anna Pavlova toured Australia with her company in 1926 and 1929.  According to legend, our 'national dessert', the pavlova
is named after her!  My favourite dessert, it tastes wonderful and is apparently like the 'Angel Pie' available in New York.  It's based on light, fluffy meringue, with strawberries usually.  Sometimes other fruits can be used, like passionfruit, or raspberries.

I found a good website on Anna Pavlova's tours: http://www.australiadancing.org/subjects/51.html  My book by Algeranoff describes them but I wouldn't recommend it because it is written in a fairly boring manner, unfortunately!

Best Regards,

Lisa

www.webwritereditor.com