Author Topic: Suggestion about thread titles/subject lines  (Read 28686 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Suggestion about thread titles/subject lines
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:10:23 AM »
Hi, all!

I'd like to make a suggestion about how we title our new threads:

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC ABOUT YOUR QUESTION/SUBJECT WHENEVER POSSIBLE!

I enjoy answering questions folks have about the Imperial Family, but I have a limited amount of time I can spend here each day, and I tend to pass over threads called:
"question"
"I have a question"
"I was just wondering"
"Can anyone tell me?"
and so on...

It's much more useful if you can say something specific, so other members will know at a glance if they can be helpful. Even a thread with a title as brief as "Smoking?" is more informative than "Does anybody know?"

Thanks!
Sarah
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion about thread titles/subject lines
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:51:23 PM »
Amen to that!

I don't know if posters think they'll encourage interest by the use of nebulous titles, but speaking for myself I become more annoyed than interested.

I'd also like to encourage accurate spelling and grammatical skills, in the comment sections as well as the title/subject lines. I realize many posters do not speak and write English as their native language, but for those of you who do . . . no excuses. Unless, that is, you're a third grader or younger!

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »
I can't agree more with you lovely ladies. I made this a sticky, I hope that's okay.  :)

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
As long as we are at it, I want to remind everyone of my personal pet peeve:

"Please use these standardized spellings for Russian names"
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/YaBB.cgi?num=1095358546

David_Pritchard

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »
Interesting peeve that you have. It is my own peeve but with a twist as I would rather encourage the use of the spellings which best reflect the spelling of the name in Russian.

Examples of this would be:

Petr I
Ekaterina I
Petr II
Petr III
Ekaterina II
Pavel I
Aleksandr I
Nikolai I
Aleksandr II
Aleksandr III
Nikolai II

Tsarevich Aleksei Nikolaievich
Tsarevna Tatiana Nikolaievna
Ksenia Aleksandrevna
Sergei Aleksandrovich
Mihail Aleksandrovich
Giorgii Mihailovich

and so on and so forth.............

[ch1044][ch1072][ch1074][ch1080][ch1076]

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 09:15:01 PM »
Interesting peeve that you have. It is my own peeve but with a twist as I would rather encourage the use of the spellings which best reflect the spelling of the name in Russian.

Examples of this would be:

Petr I
Ekaterina I
Petr II
Petr III
Ekaterina II
Pavel I
Aleksandr I
Nikolai I
Aleksandr II
Aleksandr III
Nikolai II

Tsarevich Aleksei Nikolaievich
Tsarevna Tatiana Nikolaievna
Ksenia Aleksandrevna
Sergei Aleksandrovich
Mihail Aleksandrovich
Giorgii Mihailovich

and so on and so forth.............

[ch1044][ch1072][ch1074][ch1080][ch1076]

I concur!

We should also add:

Alexandrovskii Dvoretz ([ch1040][ch1083][ch1077][ch1082][ch1089][ch1072][ch1085][ch1076][ch1088][ch1086][ch1074][ch1089][ch1082][ch1080][ch1081] [ch1076][ch1074][ch1086][ch1088][ch1077][ch1094]) to the list.

[ch1052][ch1072][ch1088][ch1075][ch1072][ch1088][ch1080][ch1090][ch1072]
 ::)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 09:23:03 PM »
I definitely sympathize with David & Margarita's position on this issue. However, I concede that to ensure that the search function works effectively, we need to stick with the standard spellings FA has set forth.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

David_Pritchard

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:42:00 AM »
You may be surprised to know that the search function has worked less than five times for me, in all of my various username incarnations. I know the problem is not with my computer as I have 23 GB of free space, do maintenance daily and have a LAN connection. How often are other persons able to successfully use the search function?

David

Alixz

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:36:58 AM »
Davdi,

The search has never worked for me, even on my own posts.

I didn't know that FA had put together a list of approved spellings, but I will certainly use it from now on.

However, since I don't have the ability to type in French or Russian or any other language that needs special keys, I will do what I can to conform to the needs of other language punctuation and accents.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:43:05 AM »
I use it quite a lot, and it generally works well for me. Most often, I'm trying to find a thread I've already read, so as long as my memory is accurate and I enter the correct keyword or phrase, the search function does help me find what I need.

Just this weekend, though, it failed me. I'm trying to find a thread about Alexandrov's book, The End of the Romanovs, in which Lanie provided a list of errors regarding the photos & captions. I KNOW she said something like "Alexandrov's book is awful with the photos/pictures" but when I search for that phrase and its variations, nothing useful appears...

Offline Excugh

• View Profile
Suggestion about thread titles/subject lines
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
Thank you everyone for your answer.

Ill make a research about Buckeye cams and picaxe control board and let you know how it goes

Thank you again

https://detimy.ru

Online Davinhara

• View Profile
    • correct my essay jxi
esl dissertation proposal editing website uk
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 05:17:56 PM »
Kolton Watson from Fargo was looking for esl dissertation proposal editing website uk

Keenan Hayes found the answer to a search query esl dissertation proposal editing website uk

esl dissertation proposal editing website uk

custom homework proofreading sites for collegeenvironmental impact assessment resumecustom business plan ghostwriting services usdensity research paper, custom dissertation methodology proofreading sites us. custom blog post writing for hire for masters delimitations in a thesis, esl dissertation proposal editing website uk custom thesis writing website for masters.
employment channel resume sales manager candidate. esl essays writing for hire for college esl content proofreading websites for university.
custom dissertation ghostwriters sites usa. cyber security master thesis, do my geography dissertation. esl personal essay ghostwriting website au dissertation structure plan!
document review experience on resume type my essay for me, esl dissertation chapter proofreading site auesl essay writer websites for phd? custom mba essay ghostwriting for hire online, esl problem solving writer sites for mbaesl college essay writer service usaesl papers writer services for mba.
equipment sales bilingual resumede loginesl cv editor sites for universityesl phd essay writing website for mbaesl essays writing for hire au. esl mba movie review topics custom book review writers servicesengineering lab technician resume. esl thesis editor website for mba, esl dissertation proposal editing website uk esl cv editing for hire for phd.
custom scholarship essay proofreading sites us. dissertation titles commercial law writing essays custom dissertation results writer for hire for schoolcustom critical essay writers services for phddealing with evils essays on writing from africa.
effective essay outline custom home work editor websites ca, custom research proposal proofreading for hire onlinecustom problem solving ghostwriter site usa. esl admission essay writing site us, definition writers website.
custom resume ghostwriters site for schoolesl thesis writer for hire gb https://essayerudite.com esl dissertation proposal editing website uk and esl university essay ghostwriters for hire for phd, dissertation methodology writers websites gb.
esl expository essay ghostwriters servicedefining moments in canadian history essaysemployee privacy rights thesis. esl college essay editing site uk, narrative essay topics, dissertation problem statements

Online Davinhara

• View Profile
    • correct my essay jxi
dental assistant cover letter examples resume
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »