Author Topic: L`Imperatrice Josephine  (Read 60313 times)

Offline polignac

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: L`Imperatrice Josephine
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
I am reading about the napoleonic nobility and I would like to know who was the Maison de la imperatrice Josephine. I know that the marquise de Bouillé, the Duchesse de Chevreuse, Mademoiselle Avrillion, were part of it. And it mentions very the baronne de Montmorency...Who was she?

Thanks

Offline Aliocha

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »
I think Madame de Montesquiou,"maman Quiou", was part of it too (after 1811).

Offline Aliocha

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2007, 02:39:42 PM »
You have also the duchess of Montebello (the wife of marshall Lannes).
For Montmorency there is nothing about her: maybe she was the daugther of
general de Montmorency-Laval (himself son of the duke de Laval + captain in
la Maison de l'empereur)

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:20:59 AM by Svetabel »

Offline gorgeousbutterfly

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »
imagine someone of her rank at birth boing to versalles in king louis xvi times :O. she would not be admitted and this woman of such low rank/birth is queenn it doesn't seem right to me.

Offline nom de plume

• Dominus providebit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2008, 10:53:48 PM »
imagine someone of her rank at birth boing to versalles in king louis xvi times :O. she would not be admitted and this woman of such low rank/birth is queenn it doesn't seem right to me.

It's possible that Josephine visited Versailles during the reign of Louis XVI.  Anyone who was neatly dressed could visit the palace and watch the royal family eat their meals, take walks, etc.  It's unlikely that Josephine ever went thanks to her husband, the Vicomte de Beauharnais, who was humiliated by her countrified ways and lack of style, so much so that he never wanted to take her anywhere or let her go anywhere.  By the time she developed her own excellent fashion sense and figured out what makeup and hairstyles worked best for her, Versailles had been closed. 

As for Josephine's title, have no fear.  Josephine was the first Empress of the French, not a queen.

Hope this helps...
"History, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in....it tells me nothing that does not vex or weary me.  The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences in every page; the men all so good for nothing; and hardly any women at all - it is very tiresome."

- Jane Austen

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »
Josephine is an inserting woman, she one of my favorites. I have her memoirs written by a lady-in-waiting, Pretty good so far.
To me by reading "Napoleon, his wives and women" pretty good book, to me Josephine was a kind, regal, pretty and a free spirited woman. i haven't read anything of bad about her. unless  her her love affairs, whom everyone in that time if a woman is considered "Loose" she  a evil and bad whore. Napoleon's family hated her. pity.

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »
she was a good friend to the Royalists and protected many. She was descended from a junior branch of the House of Savoy and had a better genealogy than her first husband whose father was only the 1st Marquis and certainly was well above the Bonapartes.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
I think that the young creole proved to be more loyal that the austrian archduchess to their common husband, Napoleon. Josephine could be unfaithful to the man, but when he fell from grace, she remained loyal to him, and the same thing did Maria Walewska! Maria Louisa was not a devoted wife, at the end, when times had getting rough...

Yes, I think that´s right, I think the archduchess was in her heart always a "Habsburg", even when she loved Napoleon. But in my view also her father Franz had influence on her concerning this. He moved her to come to his court again, when Napoleon had fallen. In one of my favoutite booka about the Bonapartes by Jean Pierre Rioux this is described very well, especially how Franz had Napoleons son (his grandson) under his hands after the fall of his son-in-law Napoleon.
It´s not to forget that Marie Louise had also two children from Neipperg...In general she was very young , but from her education she always remained "Habsburg" in my opinion, I think the difficulty was (not only but in some part) that her autrian family was so much against Napoleon. Not to forget her uncle Karl of Teschen defeated Napoleon once etc etc. So I think it is somewhere to understand why she reacted not like Josephine, she behaved like a Habsburg in that point.
Yes, concerning Marie Walewska, it is also right that she remained loyal to Napoleon. In a film it was shown that she visited Napoleon with the son him, Alexander , when the emperor was on the island Elba...I think Marie Louise did never so.
I think the problem Josephine shows the dispute beween love on the one hand and politics on the other hand, but at last Napoleon dediced himself for securing his empire (to get a heir) and left josephine...A difficult situation... :P It´s the question here, was this behavior right and understandable in his situation?

Yes, I think what Napoleon did was understandable, but I don't think anything ever changed his feelings for Josephine. I think he loved her the same, he just needed a male heir to secure the throne, since after all it was a throne he had estabilished for himself and he was right that it would be bad for the sucession to it to be doubtful. Marie Louise to him was just someone who could give him the male heir (moreover one with royal blood from the Hapsburgs), not someone he could love like Josephine. I think it understandable that Marie Louise's family remained wary of Napoleon and I think this did influence her, but after all she was MA's relative and the Hapsburg dynasty was closely related to the Bourbons who proceeded Napoleon and although Napoleon wasn't responsible for the Bourbon's fate, still he wasn't the kind of person the Hapsburgs might truly trust. Josephine seems to not have loved Napoleon like he loved her although both cheated on the other.

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
Really Wonderful Pics! Mainly the dresses, shoes and jewels :-0
Josephine and Napoleon

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
Some pics...
As a girl

young

Deathbed

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »

With Napoleon

Alone

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »
With her family receiving Emperor Alexander

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
Has anyone here visited Malmaison in the past few years? I  would like to  go there on my next visit to Paris, probably spring 2011.
 I have renewed my long dormant\ interest in the Bonapartes after  visit to Fontainbleu,  The  Louvre  and Les Invidvilides.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
The divorce of Napoleon I and Josephine