Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3  (Read 253702 times)

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Elizabeth II Part 3
« Reply #750 on: August 10, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
Indeed, and this is quite common among the better-educated members of the upper crust; Thatcherism found very little support among such people.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 10, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
Well...The Queen is the mother of her people so she generally agrees with whatever they do.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
Do mothers generally agree to whatever their children do? Not my experience.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
Yes. But most devoted mothers will do whatever it takes. One of the lessons learnt from the moving reaction after the death of Diana is that as the mother of the country, you will have to respond when there is general mourning in the country. After that The Queen became very sensative to the mood of her people.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 10, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
Yes. But most devoted mothers will do whatever it takes. One of the lessons learnt from the moving reaction after the death of Diana is that as the mother of the country, you will have to respond when there is general mourning in the country. After that The Queen became very sensative to the mood of her people.
The Queen was incredibly badly treated by some elements of the press etc in the hysteria at the time of Diana's death....personally she had tried to remain a friend to that wilful, often unstable malicious woman and she was certainly trying her best to be a loving grandmother to the distraught Princes...Yet she was treated if it had been her fault that the silly woman had got herself mixed up with a gang of rogues and come to a tragic end!

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 10, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »
The fact is that the Queen did not realise how beloved the princess was in the British public's hearts (in her mind she could only see the needy whining girl and not the princess that comforted many by her acts of charity all over the world) and it did not cross her mind that her people needed her at that moment. Queen Sophia of Spain was more apt to share herself with the people in a time of crisis. However when she appeared back in London, her presence did actually had a calming affect on the people. She duly agreed that change is needed and after that the RF is more in tune with the public.

Constantinople

« Reply #756 on: August 10, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »
I think there were problems on both sides.  I think that when Prince Charles was having extra marital relation with Camilla, she had the Queen's sympathy but when she started to have affairs herself she lost that sympathy.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 10, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
Indeed. She view Diana more personally and saw the needy girl (she grew up near the Queen's estate in Sandringham) who is causing trouble. I could hardly blame her if her affection towards Diana was rather strained. Yet that is not the crux of the matter. Diana was to the public almost a secular saint in her works for landminds, Aids victims andbattered women..rtc. The death was so shocking and unexpected that the country needed the soothing presence of a mother. The Queen who usually shy away from this role due to the continued presence of her own mother (Queen Mum). Yet this is the defining moment that on one hand proves how out of tune the RF is to the public, but more importantly how much the British public needed the presence of the Queen in terms of such a national emotional crisis.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 10, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
Eric, you are over-generalizing when you talk about the 'public' in those terms; while many people got caught up in that emotion, as many others found it disquieting and even unsavoury. Looking back on it now, it all looks very strange.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 10, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
The fact is that the Queen did not realise how beloved the princess was in the British public's hearts (in her mind she could only see the needy whining girl and not the princess that comforted many by her acts of charity all over the world) and it did not cross her mind that her people needed her at that moment. Queen Sophia of Spain was more apt to share herself with the people in a time of crisis. However when she appeared back in London, her presence did actually had a calming affect on the people. She duly agreed that change is needed and after that the RF is more in tune with the public.

Honestly, Eric, I get frustrated with you!  Now you're claiming to be able to see into the Queen's mind - what she could see and what crossed it or didn't cross it etc.  We can only speculate on what her views on Diana were, as others have here.  You write as if you actually know and you CANNOT!

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »
I think there were problems on both sides.  I think that when Prince Charles was having extra marital relation with Camilla, she had the Queen's sympathy but when she started to have affairs herself she lost that sympathy.

I don't think it was the affairs that made the Queen irritated with Diana...it was the television interviews the game playing...

Constantinople

« Reply #761 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:59 AM »
I think that the Queen is a model of propriety but also a mother who filters ordeals her children go through subjectively so I think that it wasn't just the publlic airing of Diana's dirty laundry that upset her.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
That is your interpretation.  Maybe God just thinks men and women are different and because of that should have different roles.  He probably doesn't want men pretending to be mothers, either.

LOL!!!Right on Grace.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
I think most books touched upon the subject that the Queen does not usually like to aproach her children directly on unpleasent subjects but chose to let Prince Philip handle them.

Constantinople

« Reply #764 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:10 AM »
Welll everyone knows what a dipolomat Philip is.