Author Topic: Old threads  (Read 6040 times)

julia.montague

Old threads
« on: June 15, 2006, 05:48:51 AM »
I can't open many of the old threads, and I think this is very sad.
For example in the Windsor Forum there are 36 pages with threads but I can't open any threads from page 6 on :'(.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
Re: Old threads
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:54:28 AM »
The same for me...Maybe its an option to delete those threads by FA. They are no use anymore....

julia.montague

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:25:46 AM »
The same for me...Maybe its an option to delete those threads by FA. They are no use anymore....
No use? :P  I would like to read them and maybe there were photos posted that I do not know.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »
I read somewhere that the FA has a person working on this problem.  He thinks they will come back in time.  Lets be patient.

I don't want to lose ANY of the old threads, there is important info as well as unusual photographs on most of them.  We can't lose them!

Arleen

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:25:31 AM »
No use? :P  I would like to read them and maybe there were photos posted that I do not know.

Yes no use. Try it Jelisaveta. Go to the end of a section (Windsor, Hesse) and try to open those threads. You will discover that if you press on the "subject title" what you always do to read a thread, that you can't open this.

But if there is a "person" who all fix these thread, ok, then they must not be deleted. But if he can't fix all the threads....

By the way, most threads at the end of the Forums, are double threads. I saw once 4 threads about Romamov Autumn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Teddy »

Alixz

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »
I PMd the FA about that when the new Forum came on line, I am sorry to hear that the problem has not yet been resolved.

I love the old threads and used to spend a lot of time reading just to catch up.

As to the multiple threads, maybe the FA can combine them at a future time.  A little housekeeping when he has the time.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:23:34 AM »
Hmm I will volunteer to do this "housekeeping".  :D

For example:

* Many double threads (many because they are double, are also a death-end threads), 4 threads about Romanov Autumn for example.

* Many threads who don't belong in certain sections (for example a discussion with the title Crown Prince Rudolph Hapsburg - Suicide or Murder?, who everybody can find in the section: Rules for this Forum).

* "Moved-threads" At the end of each section you find a couple pages which only says: Moved, moved, moved.

* Many threads who are not Royal related: we have Christmas threads for 2004, 2005 and probaly in a few months 2006. Many Happy New Year threads, Easter threads, Hurricane Katerina thead, Worldcup, the Da Vinci Code (not Royal, but if someone disagrees, this is a thread for the "Book section" or in the Fun section), a song thread, a comic thread. (Must we keep threads, about Christmas 2004).

So, I will volunteer myself for this housekeeping. Many must admit, that many "posters" don't post anymore or leave the Forum, because the idea of this Board is lost.

I don't say, that we don't can start any thread about Christmas 2006, if the month december appears again on the calender. But I really think, that nobody would complain if someone deletes the Christmas thread of 2004 and 2005.

And that about the "old threads", who nobody can't open. Thats a very pitty.

Alixz

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »
Teddy,

I would volunteer to help you do the "housekeeping" but I don't know how and I thought that it was the domain of the FA.

There would be so much more "bandwith" available if the duplicate threads were combined and the past year holiday threads were deleted.  Even the threads that deal with past sporting events such as the past Olympic Games et al could go, if no one minds.

I haven't yet looked at the thread about Crown Prince Rudolph, but I was wondering what it was doing in the Rules for this Forum section.

If there is any way I can help, let me know.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 08:53:17 AM »
Alixz,

Thats also my opinion. In the almost 2 years, that I post here, this website begins to slow down.

Me is told, that FA doesn''t know what to do with this problem, that everybody is posting and posting over and over.

And that it is to the poster her/himself to delete those post who are not of any contribution of the Board.
But my opinion is, that we can start to check the post of those, who are ex-members. They signed out.

In the past, I called it "silly posts". But for the best of the Forum, some volunteers, must help FA to check all threads. What is nessecary and what not.

I understand that FA wants to keep it in their own hands, but they also told me, that they had enough time to check, thread by thread and then decide: what can go and what not.

In the last year, many quality posters left the forum.  Thats says enough. Think about it.

I don't want to critisize FA or 1 of my fellow Forum Members, for their rules or opinions. But why not a clean up?

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
AlixZ and Teddy:
Being a Mod of two threads, it's ironic to see your requests. I spent a good deal of time on Tuesday cleaning up both the Having Fun thread, as well as the Read First thread.

The problem I see with this "housekeeping" is who is to decide what is valuable enough to stay, and what is not. I know there are so many duplicate threads, but each thread might have it's own valuable answer to a question. With that problem comes another question, who is to judge what is valuable and what is not? Not everyone comes here looking for all the same answers, what I deem as delete-able could be the answer to someone else's question.

I do agree that there needs to be some tidying up around here, but I don't know what the specific rules we should follow. I have started to delete all the "Moved-threads" in my moderated section, I do agree that these need to go.

Here are the problems I also foresee:

* The problem with deleting older threads which we cannot read is that if by some chance they become readable again. There is a vast amount of knowledge on those old threads, I don't want to delete them if there is a possibility of resurrecting them.

* Just because a member has left us, does not mean that they did not share a wealth of information. I don't see the purpose of deleting a thread just because someone is an ex-member. Other remaining members, may have contributed to these threads as well and many answers were given. As an example, I myself wrote up (which took me close quite a while to do) the whole LIFE article on Eugenia Smith here. And the last person who posted is now an "ex-member". It would really be sad to see all my hard work be deleted because an Ex-Member posted. This can also be said about threads that they started too.

Yes, I do agree that come clean up needs to happen. But as I said before, I don't know under whose judgement this should be carried out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Fatal_Gal »

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 02:45:04 PM »
* Just because a member has left us, does not mean that they did not share a wealth of information. I don't see the purpose of deleting a thread just because someone is an ex-member. Other remaining members, may have contributed to these threads as well and many answers were given. .

First of all, thank you Laura to explain to us. But what you said above, then I will explain you what I mean.

When I member becomes a ex-member, someone can look at the post this "ex member" made.

I'm with you, that you don't must delete post, who are full of information.

But what you can do, is to delete posts what only says:  :( or "ok Teddy thank you".. In some threads you will find post after post with only says: ok, thank you,  :D. And I don't see, why must look time after time at such post.

But I also think, that you can delete the Christmas thread of 2004 en 2005, because there will never be again the same Christmas "2004".

For me, I would change some things at the book section. I would delete the other 3 threads about Romanov Autumn, or the 3 threads about A Romanov Diary. And keep it with the newest thread about Romanov Autumn. With other words, keep it with one thread.

But Laura, you as moderator have the oppurtunity to decide, what you want to clean up.

And If you want, you may with my permission look at my post, and delete those, who you think, what are of no use;
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Teddy »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 05:48:52 PM »
For me, I would change some things at the book section. I would delete the other 3 threads about Romanov Autumn, or the 3 threads about A Romanov Diary. And keep it with the newest thread about Romanov Autumn. With other words, keep it with one thread.

I would also love for the book section to become more streamlined. I'd prefer to do it this way, though:

1. Link duplicate threads to the primary and/or largest existing thread on that topic, and vice versa.
2. Lock the smaller, redundant threads to prevent them from being added to and bumped up.

This would confine all the conversation about one book to one place, while still allowing someone who stumbles upon an old duplicate thread to easily access all available information on the topic, AND prevent the duplicate threads from growing any further. I'd be happy to do this -- I already spend a fair amount of time hunting down and linking duplicate threads to answer questions -- but I'm not a mod, so I can't lock the duplicates. If I do a bunch of linking without being able to lock the duplicates, it's just going to bump a lot of old threads to the top of the list and make the problem worse in the long run. So, unless someone decides to decree me a mod of the book section, I'm not going to be able to be of much help... :-/
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 06:48:15 PM »
I, personally, agree with Sarushka. And although this is a "spam" post in the eyes of many, I have to say that I think she has one of the better ideas. That way, we don't delete everything, just condense it. As FA said, "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Why do we have to decide it's all trash?

Alixz

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 08:05:15 PM »
I definately would not want to delete all the old threads that we can't open anymore.  I know that there must be a font of information in there that I would love to get at.

I like the idea of tying the multiple threads together and then locking the smaller or older threads so that they can't be bumped up or used.

Is there any way of combining them or do they have to be linked?

I do agree with Teddy that to get rid of all the Ok or Thanks or  :o answers might clean things up a bit.

I would also take on some of the threads if anyone wanted to declare me a moderator if only for the length of time it would take to clean up whatever section I was assigned to.

I have the time (for now).

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 05:27:17 AM »
Yes, if we only could delete the answers: ok, thank you,  ;), posts, that would clear many threads..

Then I also want to be a moderator. A "cleaning up" moderator.