Discussions about Other Imperial Palaces > Palaces in the Crimea

Oreanda

<< < (2/4) > >>

Svetabel:

--- Quote ---Svetabel,
Do you know it the building on the left is the building GD Konstantin Nikolayevitch and his family used after the big palace burned down in 1882?
--- End quote ---

I can't say exactly. You can see 2 buildings on the left in the picture. One of them is the Admiral's (former Imperial) House ,where GD Konstantin N. lived after the fire, and the other is the Suite House I think.

Morecambrian:

--- Quote ---Svetabel,
Do you know it the building on the left is the building GD Konstantin Nikolayevitch and his family used after the big palace burned down in 1882?  The new book, Gilded Prism, also mentions that besides living in "the wooden dacha" the family used the "Villa Tiesenhausen" for entertaining.  Do you know anything about either?
Thanks,
BobG
--- End quote ---
The villa Tiesenhausen was no doubt the same property as the later home of Count Soumarokov- Elston and later Prince Youssoupoff at Koriez.Countess Tisenhausen who never married was the mother of Felix Nikolayevitch Elston 1820-77.He married Countess Helena Soumarokov and took her name and title.The eldest of his 3 surviving sons Felix 1856 - 1928 married Princess Zenaida Youssoupoff and like wise adopted her rank & title.The Youssoupoff's spent much time at Koriez and it was from this last perch in Russia they fled aboard the HMS Marlborough with the Dowager Empress. Countess Tiesenhausen must have bequeathed the estate to her descendants. She left her stupendous gems and her shares in vastly profitable mines in the Urals to the Princely Clary family, Bohemian based descendants of her sister.

Ortino:
According to Greg and Penny's book, Gilded Prism, Oreanda is mostly in ruins. Are these ruins open to the public? In other words, can one go explore/walk among them or does one encounter a lovely iron fence telling you not to enter?

Forum Admin:
If you read the first post above, you will see that Oreanda remained in ruins after the fire of 1882 until after WWII when the ruins were removed and a sanitarium/hospital built on the site.  Empress Alexandra used to often enjoy wandering the ruins while at Livadia.
There are many pictures of the ruins and her visits there in Vyroubova's albums.

Ortino:
I did read the first post and all I am interested in knowing is if someone can visit there now or if it is fenced off or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version