Author Topic: Houses of Hesse - branches and titles  (Read 102070 times)

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Houses of Hesse - branches and titles
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
Titles were not abolished in 1918.  It was not until August 1919, I think, when the new Weimar constitution was issued -- titles became a part of the surname.  Only the head of the house uses Landgraf... the others are princes or princess of Hesse  (the main line) .. the other line uses both.
The title "Landgraf" is out of courtesy - all the members of the hessian family have to bear the titles "Prince/ss and Landgraf/in of Hesse" in their passports so as to enable Moritz to officially hold the title Landgraf as the head of his family.
It seems that - like in Austria - all titles were abolished in 1918 (the head of the former royal bavarian house is just "Duke of Bavaria")
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
Titles were not abolished in 1918.  It was not until August 1919, I think, when the new Weimar constitution was issued -- titles became a part of the surname.  Only the head of the house uses Landgraf... the others are princes or princess of Hesse  (the main line) .. the other line uses both.
The title "Landgraf" is out of courtesy - all the members of the hessian family have to bear the titles "Prince/ss and Landgraf/in of Hesse" in their passports so as to enable Moritz to officially hold the title Landgraf as the head of his family.
It seems that - like in Austria - all titles were abolished in 1918 (the head of the former royal bavarian house is just "Duke of Bavaria")

thats what I wrote I think
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
Yes. But is the German government today reconized the title of Landgrave ?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »

No, Eric, Germany is a republic. Germany allows the use of courtesy titles and also incorporating the title into the last name.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks. At least they leave them the curtesy titles. Wonder if they have that in their passports ?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »

The titles are their last name -- Moritz Landgraf von Hessesn - Landgraf von Hessen is his legal surname. 

No, Eric, Germany is a republic. Germany allows the use of courtesy titles and also incorporating the title into the last name.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
Thanks. At least the German Government accepted this. When Ex-King Constantine tried to do that, he was critized by the Greek Government.

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2009, 06:36:46 AM »
Why is the title "by Rhine?" Is it a historical reference to the fact that Hesse is near the Rhine?
The Landgrafen of Hessen-Darmstadt were created Grand Dukes of Hesse (Großherzöge von Hessen) in 1806 after being forced to join Napoleon Ist's Rhine Alliance.
After Napoleons army had been defeated in 1815
their territory was enlarged to the western part, including cities near to the Rhine river, such as Mainz, Lorsch, Worms etc. Thats why the title was changed in "Hesse and the Rhine" (Hessen und bei Rhein)
I believe it was not just purely a geographical term, neither a nouveau Napoleonic-style designation à la "de la Moscowa", but a conscious link to the Wittelsbach Counts Palatine by Rhine (later Electors of the Palatinate), who had ruled Rheinhessen or Rhenian Hesse, the new Hessian territory beyond the Rhine, until the end of the old empire.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »
Indeed. Although the Hesse family originally came from one family and branch off into different houses.

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2009, 05:17:08 AM »

Might be true - especially since the Hesse-Darmstadt branch was closely related to the House of Wittelsbach since the 1740ies.

And all the Bavarian Kings descent from a Hesse-Darmstadt Princess...............
Meine Kaiserin

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2009, 12:58:40 PM »
Indeed. Studying the family tree, the Hesse family was closely related to the Badens and Wittelsbachs as well as the British (Hannover Royal Family). I think the Hesse-Kassel line was the one that did not die out.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »
Obviously the line didn't die out since they are now the keepers of the heritage of the by Rhine line as well as their own. Margaret of Hesse (nee Prussia) did her best to assure this with 6 sons though not all left male issue, or even issue at all. The current head of the family, Moritz, is as much Italian (or as much as the Italian royals were actually Italian!) as Hessian as his mother was the daughter of the King of Italy. Given the fondness for King Humbert and Queen Margherita on the part of Margaret's parents (even naming Margaret at least in part after the Queen) it's a nice twist.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
Indeed. Studying the family tree, the Hesse family was closely related to the Badens and Wittelsbachs as well as the British (Hannover Royal Family). I think the Hesse-Kassel line was the one that did not die out.

Out of all lines,today there are just two left:

-Hessen-Cassel and

-Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2010, 11:37:38 PM »
I thought it could be useful to have a thread devoted to Hesse in general and the more political, non-personal aspects of the court and state.

I want to start it with a nice introduction of Hesse, albeit the modern federal state, through an interpretation of its beautiful anthem with beautiful pictures of Hesse: YouTube: Mein Hessenland; Herz Deutschlands, My Hesse Land, Heart of Germany.  Goes so well with Meriel Buchanan's statement that she remembered Hesse as a land of song and music.

But this was not the official anthem during the monarchy. Can anybody provide any information about the Fürstenhymne, or Prince's Hymn, in use then?
My guess is that it's based on "God Save the King" / "Heil dir im Siegerkranz".
And since the modern anthem, with its charming cute lyrics, was composed as early as the Wilhelminian era, was the musical Grand-Ducal Family perhaps familiar with it?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:51:39 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:46 AM »

The Hessian hymn until 1918 was indeed "Heil Dir im Siegerkranz" - with the melody of "God save the King/Queen". The text is very patriotic and long ^^
Meine Kaiserin